

GNSO Council AC Chat Transcript 12 May 2016

Marika Konings: (5/12/2016 10:26) Welcome to the GNSO Council meeting of 12 May 2016

Carlos Raul: (13:52) Good morning

Keith Drazek: (13:54) Hi everyone

jennifer gore: (13:54) hello

Julf Helsingius: (13:59) good <whatever appropriate time

Susan Kawaguchi: (13:59) Good Morning

Wolf-Ulrich Knoblen: (14:00) Good afternoon!

Nathalie Peregrine: (14:00) Please all remember to mute your speakers once you have joined the phne bridge, thanks!

Amr Elsadr: (14:00) Good afternoon.

Rubens Kuhl: (14:01) Good time-of-day @all, today I'm in a very noisy environment and can only join by chat.

Rubens Kuhl: (14:02) Present.

Nathalie Peregrine: (14:04) Olivier Crepin Leblond's line has dropped, we're dialing him back

Stephanie Perrin: (14:04) I m here, getting strange echoes, sorry

Carlos Raul: (14:04) I'm on the call

Carlos Raul: (14:04) may have some mic problem

jennifer gore: (14:05) Present and also present for Volker Proxy

Carlos Raul: (14:05) May I ask for a bridge +506 8837 7176 please

Nathalie Peregrine: (14:05) of course!

Carlos Raul: (14:05) Thanks Nathalie

Stephanie Perrin: (14:06) I am getting a repeat of everything said. can hear everything being said twice. Will drop off and try getting again

Nathalie Peregrine: (14:06) Stephanie, please let me know if you need a dialout\

Keith Drazek: (14:12) Thanks to Kathy, Phil and J. Scott for volunteering to Co-Chair. A great team.

Amr Elsadr: (14:13) @Keith: +1

Paul McGrady - IPC: (14:14) +1 Phil. Meetings have been very efficient and collegial.

Rubens Kuhl: (14:15) In favor

Paul McGrady - IPC: (14:24) Thank you Donna!

Wolf-Ulrich Knoblen: (14:29) Thanks Donna

jennifer gore: (14:31) thanks Donna

Mary Wong 2: (14:31) @Heather, consider it done

Donna Austin, RySG: (14:32) All, happy to answer any questions on the list.

Donna Austin, RySG: (14:33) Suggestions and reasons for the bilateral meeting. The GAC has identified a meeting with the Council, which I expect we'll agree but need to confirm timing.

Paul McGrady - IPC: (14:33) Donna, thank you for all of your hard work on this!

Donna Austin, RySG: (14:33) Thanks Paul

Keith Drazek: (14:35) Thanks to both Carlos and Olivier for the written updates on the CCWG-IG. Both were very helpful and I agree with their input and perspectives.

Stephanie Perrin: (14:36) Thanks for all your hard work on this Donna, v challenging. We are a wee bit concerned about a couple of things....1. Counting on getting lunch quickly fo r those 90 minute lunch slots when we have our side meetings, and 2. concerned that proliferation of bilats, while understandable, will detract from one of the central goals of the short meeting

David Cake: (14:39) Yes, Donna, thanks for the hard work, definitely a difficult task

Donna Austin, RySG: (14:44) is it the work of the ITU

Amr Elsadr: (14:44) Do any of these demands have any teeth? :)

Paul McGrady - IPC: (14:44) Thanks Olivier!
Paul McGrady - IPC: (14:45) Very helpful.
Heather Forrest: (14:45) I suggest we follow up on this by liaising again with Rafik as GNSO co-chair
Wolf-Ulrich Knoblen: (14:47) @Helsinki schedule: could someone from staff please provide a link to the last version (v3.2)? Thanks
Amr Elsadr: (14:47) @Heather: Yes. Thank you.
Marika Konings: (14:47) @Wolf-Ulrich, it has not been posted yet, but should get posted soon here: https://community.icann.org/x/_o5CAw
Heather Forrest: (14:48) Olivier - ideally we need to move on to the next agenda item, which I anticipate will occupy much of our time.
Paul McGrady - IPC: (14:48) @Tony. Agree with this concern. Concerned this would be easier to do with the USG out of its oversight role.
Nathalie Peregrine: (14:49) we're checking the lines
Wolf-Ulrich Knoblen: (14:49) thanks Marika
Amr Elsadr: (14:49) If you'r hearing any beeping, that's my line being dropped off. Apologies.
Heather Forrest: (14:49) Olivier - now we are having trouble hearing you
Keith Drazek: (14:50) @Tony: Just to be clear, there are certainly countries who want to see the coordination of IP addresses and DNS resources "international governmentalized" but I don't believe that's the view of anyone participating in the CCWG-IG.
Tony Harris: (14:52) OK thanks
Keith Drazek: (14:53) Everyone please mute phones/computer mics.
Rubens Kuhl: (14:53) Note also that there are countries with a NIR, National Internet Registry, that can be non-governmental. Brazil, Mexico and some asia-pacific countries have such non-governmental bodies.
Mary Wong 2: (14:56) At the moment, no GNSO SG/C has yet submitted a public comment on the draft new Bylaws.
Keith Drazek: (14:56) On the IANA Transition bylaws (CWG and CCWG-Accountability), I think we should conduct a review of bylaws to ensure our input was duly considered. I don't have any specific concern at this time, but I think we have an obligation to check the work.
Heather Forrest: (14:57) We need to think about timing if we want this done by 21 May
Heather Forrest: (14:57) Should we do this as individual SGs and Cs given the comments came from SGs and Cs?
Keith Drazek: (14:58) That may be the best approach, Heather.
Donna Austin, RySG: (14:58) Agree
Amr Elsadr: (14:59) The NCSG is preparing a comment. I wonder to what extent a comment from Council is necessary? Would hate to see work being duplicated as a result.
Edward Morris: (15:00) Good idea Paul. Support.
Paul McGrady - IPC: (15:00) yes
Amr Elsadr: (15:01) If it's something as broad as what Paul is suggesting, I wouldn't object.
Heather Forrest: (15:02) Thanks very much, Paul - much appreciated
Keith Drazek: (15:09) Agree with Donna's point on the urgency of the CSC. We should also be aware of the CCWG-Accountability Work Stream 2 issues. Preliminary discussions will surely take place in Helsinki.
Amr Elsadr: (15:09) Just a note: The GNSO Input Process was designed so that the GNSO could provide input to processes outside of gTLD policy development. May be worthwhile considering this as an option as well as setting up a taskforce.
Susan Kawaguchi: (15:10) agree with GNSO task force
Edward Morris: (15:10) Agree with Marika. Sooner better than later.
Donna Austin, RySG: (15:11) It would be helpful to have an outline of the different pieces of the puzzle and timeframes.
Stephanie Perrin: (15:12) Need to make sure there is no duplication of effort

Mary Wong 2: (15:12) @Donna, staff is working on a general table of what the GNSO may need to develop - we can add timelines to that for Council review.

Donna Austin, RySG: (15:12) Thanks Mary

Jennifer Gore: (15:12) no objections

Susan Kawaguchi: (15:12) good idea

Edward Morris: (15:12) I'm happy to volunteer for the task force.

Stephanie Perrin: (15:14) It would be nice to give that process a workout, good idea Amr

Amr Elsadr: (15:15) @Heather: Sounds good. In that case, please add me to the list of volunteers. :)

Marika Konings: (15:15) The GNSO Input Process is intended to provide input in response to a request or public comment period - in this case, you are likely looking at developing new procedures and updating the operating procedures.

Amr Elsadr: (15:16) @Marika: Is it specific to public comment periods? I don't recall that being the case, but may have forgotten. :)

Marika Konings: (15:16) GIP is the process through which the GNSO provides input on matters that may not involve gTLD policy, for example in response to a request from the ICANN Board or in response to a public comment forum as further described in this GIP Manual.²

Amr Elsadr: (15:17) "for example"..., so including, but not limited to... ? :)

Marika Konings: (15:18) yes, but as said, the expected output here is proposed changes to the GNSO Operating Procedures, not sure if that equates to providing input on matters that may not involve gTLD Policy....

Julie Hedlund: (15:18) @Amr: For an overview of the GNSO obligations see the document Mary and I provided to the Council yesterday at: <http://gns0.icann.org/en/council/draftshttp://gns0.icann.org/en/drafts/draft-overview-obligations-post-transition-bylaws-procedures-11may16-en.pdf>

Edward Morris: (15:19) Regardless, we are certainly going to have to adopt internal procedures for actioning our new responsibilities such as document requests under the Inspection rights, requesting collaboration or accepting requests for same on investigation as well as exercising budgetary and other approval / rejection processes and powers. It may be appropriate to consider involving the SCI on some of this.

Amr Elsadr: (15:20) Thanks Julie. I'll look over the document, but there doesn't seem to be on at the link you provided.

Keith Drazek: (15:20) +1 Donna, I would find that very helpful.

Mary Wong 2: (15:20) @Donna, staff will be happy to provide that briefing.

Julie Hedlund: (15:21) @Amr: Try this, it came up for me: <http://gns0.icann.org/en/drafts/draft-overview-obligations-post-transition-bylaws-procedures-11may16-en.pdf>

Amr Elsadr: (15:21) @Ed: Thanks. Understood. The SCI could be one way to go, but considering the complexities of the topic, maybe a task force of folks who are more familiar with the details may work better?

Marika Konings: (15:22) @Ed - as this specifically relates to the transition related work, the Council may want to consider involving those that were closely involved in the development of the recommendations to facilitate this work. The SCI may not necessarily have that expertise.

Marika Konings: (15:22) @Amr - great minds... ;-)

Amr Elsadr: (15:22) @Julie: Thanks. Got it this time. :)

Amr Elsadr: (15:22) @Marika: ;-)

Donna Austin, RySG: (15:24) to Phil's point about the outstanding IGO/INGO related issues, I think we should use the discussion with the Board to move forward with the broader issue as well.

Edward Morris: (15:27) @Amr @Marika. No objection from me. The whole package is so intricate and has such a history it would be my preference to have the small task force proposed by Heather. To explain this

package to newcomers would and is very difficult. That said, it wouldn't hurt to at least consult with the SCI as part of the process. I also think we're likely going to need some legal consultations in some way, either with the independent counsel retained by the CCWG or ICANN Legal, to ensure that whatever we come up with is consistent with Bylaws changes.

Mary Wong 2: (15:27) @Donna, all, staff can provide some information on the link with the Curative Rights work as well, on the webinar.

Amr Elsadr: (15:28) @Ed: Sounds good.

Donna Austin, RySG: (15:28) @Mary, I think an overview of the full picture is warranted, so that we can understand where the hot issues are.

Mary Wong 2: (15:29) @Donna, got it - we will do our best

Krista Papac: (15:30) Hello Everyone! Francisco and I are here.

Stephanie Perrin: (15:30) While it is true that it is complex, it is time we all got involved in this discussion as it has serious implications for the GNSO. We will all appreciate getting briefed on this as the task force meets to discuss. Will the task force be limited to Councillors, or are you going to do a call for volunteers outside council?

Mary Wong 2: (15:31) @Stephanie, are you referring to the IANA stewardship transition implementation or the IGO/RC topic?

Stephanie Perrin: (15:32) Sorry Mary, still back on IANA stewardship transition.

Mary Wong 2: (15:32) OK thanks!

Heather Forrest: (15:32) All - I understand that Cyrus won't be able to join us, but we have both Krista and Francisco to answer any questions

Keith Drazek: (15:35) The RySG is still considering the topic under discussion. There are some concerns about adding T&T to the Thick Whois IRT, particularly around potential delays to the Thick Whois process.

Keith Drazek: (15:36) There's also a procedural question about expanding an IRT's scope beyond its mandate from the originating PDP.

Marika Konings: (15:37) @Keith - it is our understanding that the Council would need to approve the integration of the T & T implementation into the Thick WHOIS IRT

Amr Elsadr: (15:37) @Keith: In bundling more than one implementation effort, an existing IRT can be expanded in terms of both mandate and membership to cover both implementations bundled together.

Marika Konings: (15:37) the Operating Procedures do foresee the option of not creating a separate IRT if there is another IRT that can deal with the implementation of the recommendations

Keith Drazek: (15:37) Thanks Marika.

Keith Drazek: (15:38)and Amr.

Keith Drazek: (15:41) While this does seem to be an attempt to consolidate two RDDS initiatives, these two don't have great synergies. There are very different issues and challenges when considering the impacts of Thick Whois vs. Translation and Transliteration.

Susan Kawaguchi: (15:42) @ Keith +1

jennifer gore: (15:43) I confirm the RrSG position is to move forward and focus on a consolidation with RDS PDP as a more logical grouping for this work that would result in: 1) Reduce duplication of efforts i.e. T/T IRT and then RDS. 2) Allow the Thick WHOIS/RDAP/CL&D IRT work to continue on as planned without adding an additional 6-12 months delay to what is already a lengthy plan

Marika Konings: (15:46) @Jennifer - as T & T has already been adopted, it needs to move forward into implementation. The RDS PDP has just started and is no where near implementation yet (but obviously it would factor in policy recommendations that have already been adopted such as T & T)

jennifer gore: (15:46) +1 Paul - a slow is an impact that cannot be avoided

Amr Elsadr: (15:47) @Marika: +1. The RDS PDP will have to take into consideration some of the recommendations of the T/T PDP as well as some

recommendations of the IRD WG, which are not being implemented as they have not gone through a GNSO process yet.

Paul McGrady - IPC: (15:47) Thanks!

Amr Elsadr: (15:47) That does not require a delay in implementation of T/T though.

Heather Forrest: (15:48) Amr - I see your hand, will get to you after Francisco

Amr Elsadr: (15:48) Tns.

Amr Elsadr: (15:49) *thanks.

Amr Elsadr: (15:50) Wanted to clarify that I am the council liaison to both groups - "thick" whois IRT and T/T PDP WG. :)

Nathalie Peregrine: (15:51) Please all mute phones when not speaking.

Amr Elsadr: (15:52) Go for it, Heather. :)

Susan Kawaguchi: (15:52) no objections!

jennifer gore: (15:52) I volunteer to be the council liaison for both

jennifer gore: (15:52) i will take it.

jennifer gore: (15:52) kthem

jennifer gore: (15:52) them

Philip Corwin: (15:53) We welcome you as liaison to the RPM WG, Heather!

Amr Elsadr: (15:53) Shall we draw straws?

Keith Drazek: (15:53) I will volunteer

Amr Elsadr: (15:54) Thanks Keith. :)

Mary Wong 2: (15:54) Duly noted, Heather, Jen, Keith, all.

Keith Drazek: (15:54) Now I'll have to do some real work... ;-)

Paul McGrady - IPC: (15:54) Great call Heather!

Philip Corwin: (15:55) Welcome Keith. The IGO liaison role should not take too many more months.

Keith Drazek: (15:55) Thanks Phil...I'll lean on you to get me up to speed!

Julf Helsingius: (15:55) Too bad the weather in Amsterdam is about to turn bad

Mary Wong 2: (15:55) @Phil, @Keith - it depends on whether there will be implementation of the unresolved/non-reconciled recommendations

Paul McGrady - IPC: (15:56) Donna, looking forward to seeing you in Amsterdam

Mary Wong 2: (15:56) The liaison role is currently for implementing the adopted recommendations

Donna Austin, RySG: (15:56) Good job Heather -- good night :-)

Julf Helsingius: (15:56) See many of you in Amsterdam!

Amr Elsadr: (15:56) Thanks all. Bye.

Wolf-Ulrich Knoblen: (15:56) Thanks Heather and bye

Heather Forrest: (15:56) Thanks everyone

Stephanie Perrin: (15:56) Thanks Heather!

Heather Forrest: (15:56) Have a good day

Susan Kawaguchi: (15:56) thanks all!

Glen de Saint Gery: (15:56) Thank you all very much