

## GNSO Council meeting 16 February 2017 Adobe Connect room chat transcript

Nathalie Peregrine:Welcome to the GNSO Council meeting on the 16 February 2017

Nathalie Peregrine:Please remember to dial into the audio bridge, passcode COUNCIL.

Rafik:Bonjour Nathalie

Rafik:Hi all

Erika Mann:Hi from Reykjavik

Stefania Milan:Hello everyone, sorry for the slight delay

Marilia Maciel:Hello everyone

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:Good [time of day] everyone!

Michele Neylon:ouch

James Bladel:Please mute...yikes.

Marilia Maciel:Greetings from beautiful Iceland

Paul McGrady:Still dialing in.

Paul McGrady:Connected by phone now. Thanks!

Heather Forrest:Congrats, Stefania, on your fabulous new appointment!

Stefania Milan:Thanks Heather. Maybe one day I will find an employer who cares about names and numbers!

Rafik:@stefania ICANN

Philip Corwin:Very welcome. We hope that interested parties will file comments regarding IGO CRP before the comment period closes on March 1

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:Philip, it's in our SG radar to post comments on it and it's probably going to be before the deadline.

Philip Corwin:Thanks Rubens

Marilia Maciel:We had three board members with us here in Iceland and the usefulness and quality of GNSO response to GAC communiques was also praised in person

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:I think they changed the official start date for the Saturday... let me check.

Stephanie Perrin:Paul, excellent point.

Donna Austin, RySG:Agree 100% Paul on stepping back and rethinking what these meetings are for.

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:It did indeed. It lists as March 11, Saturday. So we can call it day 1 instead of day -2 (or -1 if you start counting from 0, usual in tech and Asian cultures)

Darcy Southwell:The overlap is difficult when you consider that many community members participate in multiple WGs.

Paul McGrady:@Marika - my comments were not a comment on staff's efforts. You guys are just putting on paper what the community is saying its priorities are. We, as a community, need to step back and see if we should refocus on WG work.

Marika Konings:Thanks, Paul, understood.

Donna Austin, RySG:@Paul, maybe we could consider two Meeting B formats and one Meeting A format rather than the other way around.

Edward Morris: Agree completely with Susan.

Susan Kawaguchi:generally

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:Less worse, not better. And not that much different, just a small improvement.

Susan Kawaguchi:a standardized process would be helpful

Darcy Southwell:Totally agree about standardized process for HIT selection process.

Marika Konings:as far as I know, the cross community sessions are not organised by staff

Marika Konings:but by those SO/ACs that put forward the proposal (but agree that it would be helpful to have a process in place to allow all SO/ACs to weigh in)

Stefania Milan:+1 Susan, thanks for your constructive suggestion

Susan Kawaguchi:I will work on a draft of a process to share and welcome input and thoughts from all

Mary Wong:@Phil, we are updating that

Susan Kawaguchi:Thanks Stefania

Marika Konings:Current order is: 1) new gTLDs, 2) RPMs, 3) RDS

Mary Wong:@Phil, the most information about the various GNSO meetings are on the GNSO block schedule that was circulated on the Council list

Mary Wong:(the overall block schedule posted on the ICANN meeting site doesn't have a lot of the details the proposed GNSO block schedule does)

Marika Konings:it sounds like some specific criteria may need to be defined for what qualifies for a cross-community session?

Stephanie Perrin:Agree with Rafik.

James Bladel:Folks, we need to move on... :)

Marika Konings:forgot to add that we have tentatively scheduled a meeting of the DT in Copenhagen so if further discussion is needed, there is some time set aside for that.

Heather Forrest:Was it Julf or Wolf who responded just now?

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:I believe Wolf-Ulrich, not Julf...

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:Who was being called, but Julf answered.

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:I second the motion

Julf Helsingius:I responded that I had already responded, but Wolf-Ulrich answered too

Wolf-Ulrich Knoblen:It was Julf-Wolf saying aye

Michele Neylon:I'll second it or third or whatever you need

James Bladel:Thanks, Rubens.

Erika Mann:Agree with Michele!

Erika Mann:But please review 'resolved, paragraph 3 ... language is a bit wild ...

Stephanie Perrin:In terms of the actual review, I think it would be far more useful to gather data as to how many registrars actually have used the Conflicts policy, than which trigger.is being successfully employed to get waivers

Stefania Milan:Metrics would indeed be useful, Steph

Marika Konings:do you want to change the date to 'as soon as practically feasible'?

Marika Konings:that would give some flexibility and would allow for staff to outline the different steps and timeline for getting this done?

Michele Neylon:Marika - that makes sense to me

Heather Forrest:"As soon as practically feasible" can be misinterpreted

Heather Forrest:Why not just "no later than"...

Heather Forrest:?

Stephanie Perrin:Agree with Heather

Michele Neylon:I don't mind either way

Paul McGrady:No later than Oct.1

Paul McGrady:Let's not blow up staff August holiday with a Sept 1 date

Michele Neylon:lol

Stefania Milan:makes sense

Michele Neylon:Paul - I'll agree with you :)

Donna Austin, RySG:about 30 days Paul

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:Paul, they can work on that before the August holiday so they can have a holiday. ;-)

Darcy Southwell:Agree with Oct. 1.

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:I do.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):sorry dropped audio as I was called to another ICANN WG call still here in AC

Heather Forrest:Fabulous to see this off the agenda, well done everyone

Paul McGrady:Well done James & All.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):yes correct James

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:Can we have a minimum scope but not bind for it to be minimum ?

Stefania Milan:What do you mean, Rubens?

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:That if the ATRT3 feels like broadening the scope, they could.

Paul McGrady:+1 Avri

Stefania Milan:wouldn't this hinder the v same purpose of limiting the scope?

Keith Drazek:I support Avri's suggestion, but I also think a full-blown ATRT3 might attempt to assess accountability mechanisms that are not fully implemented or not yet tested or still under development. Seems unnecessary and wasteful.

Keith Drazek:I agree with Phil as well.

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:If we don't allow the WG to limit the scope on their will, they might feel forced to cover the full scope.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):I am under the impression that a Review Team always had the ability to self determine their mandate, but that Community advice to limit scoping this special circumstances was really lower case advice any way...

Edward Morris:Agree with Keith. The idea is good, the procedure suggested is bad.

James Bladel:Y'all are coordinating speaking order in Iceland, which is great. But invisible to us. :)

Marika Konings:The charter does foresee that 'the SSC is expected to communicate in advance the expected steps and timeline that will apply to that specific selection process' but as Susan notes, that may require some time to figure out.

James Bladel:Valerie also contributed.

Paul McGrady:Too bad we can't just race this one across the finish line. There doesn't seem that much more detail to work out and no one is speaking loudly against it. Any chance this could be finalized for a motion in Copenhagen?

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:What's the motion deadline for Copenhagen ?

Nathalie Peregrine:5 March

Susan Kawaguchi 2:sorry Valerie I knew I was forgetting someone!

James Bladel:~)

Stefania Milan:+1 Ed

Paul McGrady:@Ed - one person's "compromise" is another person's historic cram-down. :)

avri doria:that is a reasonable tradeoff for disparity in membership, would think it something of interest to all SG that were left with fewer representatives on the group.

Edward Morris:Strongly agree with Susan here

avri doria:what is a cram-down? please?

Paul McGrady:Can we get a placeholder motion in place and see if we can work between now and Copenhagen to see if we can get this finished off in our Sunday working session?

Paul McGrady:@Avri - a restructuring of debt that creditors are required to accept as part of a bankruptcy.

Edward Morris:I'd rather get this done right than fast. Agree with Susan that we should test drive the Charter before making it permanent.

Paul McGrady:@Ed - agree, but it seems like the universe of remaining issues is small

avri doria:it is the kind of thing that could be fine tuned forever. whereas it can be modified later if it isn't perfect.

Donna Austin, RySG:I'm not against option 2, but the overall number of members on the SSC should be less than 7.

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben:8 is the lucky number in China...

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:I have to step away for a moment.

Mary Wong:There is supposed to be a RDS session in Copenhagen (not the same as our RDS PDP).

avri doria:could use the new procedure as a beta test.

Rafik:yes Avri

Susan Kawaguchi 2:I will have to abstain as I am asking for GNSO endorsement

Marika Konings:@Mary - I think that is just a staff update. There is no expectation that the RT will be formed by that date (as far as I am aware)

Mary Wong:Yes, I think so too, Marika.

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:Back now.

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:I tried to recruit volunteers from LAC region to that effort, but got none.

Marika Konings:I believe the RT will also be asked at the start to identify whether there are any skills / expertise missing as they have the ability to appoint experts to assist the effort.

Heather Forrest:Let's kick off the call for volunteers

Marika Konings:no other candidates, if I recall well

Marika Konings:at least for the chair position

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:My recollection is the same as Marika's.

Paul McGrady:Thanks!

Marika Konings:yes correct

Marika Konings:Monday lunc

Marika Konings:lunch

Mary Wong:There's no separate meeting with Goran.

Mary Wong:No

Marika Konings:Xavier/finance have asked for a meeting, but there is no space on the schedule

Marika Konings:unless you want to move something out?

Mary Wong:You could invite him to the Public Meeting

Marika Konings:or a future Council meeting?

Mary Wong:Unless the Sunday agenda is changed.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):he has met with ALAC...YES Donna

Edward Morris:Videoconference to the NCPH meeting

Donna Austin, RySG:He had to leave the joint CPH meeting with the Board.

Donna Austin, RySG:in Hyderabad, so no, the CPH has not had one on one time.

Paul McGrady:Has he met with the GAC?

Edward Morris:I felt the NCSG discussion with Goran was useful.

Julf Helsingius:It was useful, but not really the same as a proper face-to-face

Mary Wong:Please look at the latest GNSO block schedule - if you'd like to invite Goran, GDD and/or Xavier, please see if anything on the Sunday schedule should be bumped or if inviting them to the Council's Public Meeting would work.

Stephanie Perrin:I agree with ED, we had his attention despite technical problems. It was useful and I think we should try to have a meeting with him in Copenhagen somehow.

Mary Wong:We'd need to get the invitation to Goran very soon.

Michele Neylon:ICANN's penchant for inventing terms + acronyms hurts my head

Paul McGrady:@Michele, agree. The IPFITA is maddening.

Michele Neylon:Paul - ROFL - now what the hell is IPFITA?

Edward Morris:I do have one AOB matter.

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:There should be an CCWG-RAA to solve that. (RAA for Reduction of Acronym Abuse)

Paul McGrady:ICANN's Penchant For Inventing Terms + Acronyms

Michele Neylon:lol

Keith Drazek:Thanks to Erika for taking the lead on the draft. As discussed on our last Council call, I support the GNSO Council sending a request for an updated legal review.

Stephanie Perrin:Agree that outside legal expertise is required

Keith Drazek:Everyone should read Erika's draft...it's pretty compelling.

Stephanie Perrin:and the opinion will be very useful for the RDS PDP

Keith Drazek:Exactly Stephanie

Stefania Milan:+1 on need to look closely at GDPR, and on the need to involve external experts

Stefania Milan:thanks Erika for putting this together

Stephanie Perrin:Yes the draft is excellent, we should share it with the RDS.

Marika Konings:would it be helpful to define the questions that the legal review is expected to address? The original review focused on the transition from thin to thick which is already under way.

Stephanie Perrin:Yes if you are looking for questions we can certainly raise them

Stephanie Perrin:What would be the deadline for formulating those questions Marika?

Marika Konings:@Stephanie - that is up to the Council to decide.

Rubens Kuhl - RySG:We should have one, and should be done now.

avri doria:updated review seems like a really good idea.

Marika Konings:If the Council decides to pursue with this request, it would be helpful to be specific in what is expected to be covered as there is also an obvious budget question associated with engaging external legal review especially on an issue that is as broad as data protection.

avri doria:not doing a review and remaining uninformed about ongoing changes seems like a bad idea.

Keith Drazek:+1 Avri

Marika Konings:@Avri - the RDS PDP WG has gathered quite a bit of information on the changes with respect to EU data protection law

Stephanie Perrin:WE are in the process of developing questions for the data commissioners who are coming....those that are requests for legal opinions, I hope and trust, will be set to one side. I expect that will be a full bucket...

Marika Konings:so if that is the objective, info may already be available

Paul McGrady:Erika - when will the law be settled in the EU?

Stephanie Perrin:Indeed

Paul McGrady:Sorry- old hand

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):whenever ALAC (rarely) has in camera sessions we always report the topic, outcomes etc.,

Edward Morris:Thanks James

Keith Drazek:Apologies all, I'm going to have to drop for another meeting.

Paul McGrady:Great call James!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):thanks everyone, bye for now then...

Michele Neylon:cya

Donna Austin, RySG:thanks James

Heather Forrest:Bye all, thanks James

Rafik:thanks all

Rafik:by

avri doria:bye, thanks

James Bladel:Enjoy Iceland...

Julf Helsingius:Thanks and bye!

Cheryl Langdon-Orr (CLO):0110 here I Au