

GNSO Council Adobe Chat Transcript 23 July 2015

Lars Hoffmann:Welcome to the GNSO Council Meeting of 23 July 2015

Bret Fausett, RySG:Good morning.

Heather Forrest:Good evening from Tasmania

Jonathan Robinson:Hello All.

Jonathan Robinson:We seem to have static / open mic interference on the line. Please mute

Eric Evrard:The sound was coming from Glen's microphone, i muted Glen :)

Eric Evrard:(and i really apologise for that Glen)

Jonathan Robinson:OK. Thanks Eric. The gain / mic volume seemed high.

Heather Forrest:Avri - your voice is froggy. Have you got a summer air conditioning flu?

Jonathan Robinson:All. Please remember to be on mute while not contributing

Amr Elsadr:Hi all. Dialling in now.

Volker Greimann:apologies, joined late

Volker Greimann:on the call now

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:I am on Adobe onnect but waiting for a dial out....

Volker Greimann:that was close ;-)

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:since I Am awaiting a dial out I cannot speak through Adobe Connect

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:HERE!

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:thx JOnathan :-)

Carlos Raul:I;m sorry

Carlos Raul:had trouble to connect

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:now dialled in (out)

Thomas Rickert:Thanks!

Amr Elsadr:The overlap of the CCWG with this one is unfortunate, to say the least.

Avri Doria:i plan to move to the CCWG meeting as well, or do both meetings.

Marika Konings:that is correct

Thomas Rickert:It is, in deed. But We could not arrange a better time to get more participation in the CCWG call.

Marika Konings:the survey is still open

James Bladel:Apologies for joining late.

Lars Hoffmann:Here is a link to the Action List:

<https://community.icann.org/display/gnsocouncilmeetings/Action+Items>

Avri Doria:is this also for departing members?

Marika Konings:@Avri - no, it is only for the 'new' Council, so both newcomers and sitting Council members (presuming you are asking about the GNSO Council Development Session)

Avri Doria:yes, thanks

Thomas Rickert:The GNSO Council leadership should consider, though, to invite outgoing councillors for the years to come as outgoing councillors do have expertise they can share with new or sitting councillors.

Volker Greimann:+1 for Davids comment

Amr Elsadr:@Thomas: Good point.

Edward Morris:I agree Thomas.

Marika Konings:@Thomas - most Council members stepping down seem usually eager to get away from Council business as soon as they can ;-)

Avri Doria:not necessarily, one extra day after all of this isn't a big deal.

Thomas Rickert:Had I been asked I would have accepted the sacrifice to help the new Council.

Amr Elsadr:Most sitting councillors are probably eager to stay as far away as possible from council business. :)

Avri Doria:willing but not requesting.
Marika Konings::-)
Thomas Rickert:Avri, same here.
Osvaldo Novoa:Hello all, sorry I am late.
Carlos Raul:very usefull to have them with us
Donna Austin, RySG:no objection
James Bladel:Not at all.
Heather Forrest:No objectio
David Cake:I'd welcome outgoing councillors
Carlos Raul:if the want to
Stephanie Perrin:seems fine and logical
Amr Elsadr:Prior = outgoing, right?
Thomas Rickert:...just to be clear: I am more than happy to answer all questions Councillors might have regardless of the Friday. Please do tap on my knowledge built up in 4 years on the Council if you deem that helpful-
Carlos Raul:@Thomas we will....
Carlos Raul:txs
Amr Elsadr:I didn't realise there is no seconder to this motion. I would be happy to second it now.
Carlos Raul 2:pls staff if possible call me out to +506 8837 7176
Glen de Saint Gery:I will do Carlos
Carlos Raul 2:Danke
Carlos Raul 2:I keep loosing the adobe screen
James Bladel:Need to enable audio. One moment.
Amr Elsadr:Just that the filled out template was done very well as far as I could tell.
James Bladel:Perhaps we could use the Adobe ticks vs. voice?
Marilia Maciel:Hello all. Sorry for being late. Morning traffic.
Marilia Maciel:Thank you Jonathan. I support the motion
Marilia Maciel:Joining the call on the phone now
Lars Hoffmann:You can find the powerpoint file here:
<http://gnso.icann.org/en/correspondence/presentation-next-generation-rds-23jul15-en.pdf>
James Bladel:please mute folks. :)
Carlos Raul 2:yes
Marika Konings:I think that may have been an oversight - thanks for pointing that out. It should definitely be gTLD.
Volker Greimann:James +1
Marika Konings:as it would apply to all gTLDs and not just new gTLDs
James Bladel:Next Gen WHOIS.
James Bladel:Call it what it is.
Amr Elsadr:@James: Or what it may be? ;-)
Marika Konings:@Stephanie - I think that might be a good question for the public comment forum?
Amr Elsadr:@Marika: +1
James Bladel:Stephanie - Definitely somethign yo should put in your comment.
Stephanie Perrin:Thanks, I will try to get it in our comments
Marika Konings:Thanks, Stephanie
Marika Konings:I believe that was taken into account by the EWG and may have been reflected in their work, but again, worth pointing out in the public comment forum
Stephanie Perrin:There were certainly scope issues in the EWG process....some things that were intrinsically germane to the issue were deemed out of scope.
Amr Elsadr:@Marika: Was that last comment for me?
Stephanie Perrin:To the extent possible, one has to eliminate those issues. I do recognize how difficult it is, given the vastness of the project

Marika Konings:@Amr - yes

Amr Elsadr:I may have my timelines confused, but I thought the final report of the internationalized RDS EWG final report was published after the next gen RDS EWG's final report? I'll double check that.

James Bladel:I think it's important to emphasize that Phase 2 and Phase 3 are dependent upon the conclusions reached in Phase 1. We should not set the expectations in the Issues Report that they are certain to happen (and on a specific timetable).

Amr Elsadr:Thanks James.

Marika Konings:@James - correct and that hopefully should be clear (and if not, please feel free to point it out)

Lars Hoffmann:Here is the program of the Paris meeting:
<https://community.icann.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=53778863>

James Bladel:One other point - we need to coordinate with the IETF and their RDAP initiative. There is significant overlap in the discussion of protocol issues (gated access, etc.).

James Bladel:We need to make sure that the policy work is compatible with the new protocol, and that the technical discussion isn't driving the policy decisions

Marika Konings:@James - RDAP is addressed in the Preliminary Issue Report but please feel free to point out if further details should be provided.

Stephanie Perrin:Indeed, the fact that the protocol enables something does not set the business requirements....

Stephanie Perrin:One of the intrinsic problems with the phased approach is the risk that certain issue will not be sufficiently understood in the first phase, but will become clear in the second and the opportunity to fix policy may be passed...

James Bladel:Thanks Marika. Just noting that they are working on this, and may get ahead of us. We don't want the protocol to paint the policy in the corner.

James Bladel:Thanks to Thomas and Matthiew and Leon!

Amr Elsadr:It seemed to me that the discussions in the high interest session were far too focused on the substance of this topic, rather than the process to deal with it. That was not, IMHO, ideal.

James Bladel:@Amr. True. Mea culpa. :)

Carlos Raul 2:good letter!

Olivier Crepin-Leblond:+1 Amr

Amr Elsadr:OK. Thanks Jonathan. Appreciate the explanation.

Amr Elsadr:One last question: Who will be conducting the outreach at this point, since we don't have chartering organizations yet?

Amr Elsadr:Thanks again. Really appreciate it.

Mary Wong:We're going to try to upload it, hang on

Carlos Raul 2:Do the co chairs remain?

Carlos Raul 2:remain... sorry

Carlos Raul 2:ok, thanks

Amr Elsadr:I believe the co-chair of the NCPH is selected annually. Not clear on the schedule, though.

Carlos Raul 2:Tx @Amr

Marika Konings:To confirm Jonathan's point re. vice-chairs, from the ICANN Bylaws: ' Each House (as described in Section 3.8 of this Article) shall select a Vice-Chair, who will be a Vice-Chair of the whole of the GNSO Council, for a term the GNSO Council specifies, but not longer than one year.'

Marika Konings:Also, from the GNSO Operating Procedures: 'A Chair may not be a member of the same Stakeholder Group of either of the Vice-Chairs.'

Marika Konings:I believe for many of the recent Issue Reports staff has had to ask for more time - maybe the 45 days is something to consider in the context as part of the GNSO review?

Marika Konings: Obviously, issues like the next generation RDS and gTLD subsequent rounds are substantive issues that cover many angles that are expected to be covered in an Issue Report

Carlos Raul 2: YES

Amr Elsadr: @Marika: I was wondering about this. I was wondering if it's a staffing issue. According to the new budget, there should be two new hires to the policy -support team. I guess I'm wondering if that will help at all.

Mason Cole: Apologies all, I must exit the call now.

Stephanie Perrin: yes in January

Steve Chan: global public interest is indeed listed as a subject for analysis

Amr Elsadr: It was actually a NCPH inter-sessional, not NCSG. :)

Stephanie Perrin: It is indeed broader, but it is core for the next round unless we want more problems

Stephanie Perrin: and thanks Steve!

Avri Doria: I thought it was because it was a hrd report to write and they had been writing a lot of them lately.

Stephanie Perrin: May I say that it seems to me that policy staff are working 24/7.

Carlos Raul 2: @Ed +1, this goes back to the budget discussion

Edward Morris: Great Marika. Thanks.

Heather Forrest: Quite right, Amr.

Avri Doria: and the request for a delay was built into the procedure since we made the time to write one so short.

Bret Fausett, RySG: I think we should support the staff request for more time. But we should be careful not to make this pattern such that all issue reports turn into 90-120 days instead of the default in the rules.

Heather Forrest: Given the number of issues it would be sensible to lengthen the public comment period

Heather Forrest: As it seems the volume of issues has precipitated the delay

Edward Morris: Very good idea Heather

Heather Forrest: Thanks Jonathan

Avri Doria: I suggest we just accept it .

Lars Hoffmann: Item 9.2 Here is the link to the Call for Community Experts to Review the IDN Implementation Guidelines <https://www.icann.org/news/announcement-2015-07-20-en>

Mary Wong: Yes, that's right, Jonathan

Olivier Crepin-Leblond: The ALAC would definitely welcome an extended public comment period

Mary Wong: Will do, Jonathan - I'll send you something after this meeting

Mary Wong: That's correct, Bret

Donna Austin, RySG: Dennis Tanaka, Verisign

Mary Wong: OK thanks

Amr Elsadr: Chris Dillon might be a good candidate for this group. I'll reach out to him.

Edward Morris: Agreed Amr.

Mary Wong: Thanks, Jonathan - noted, and we'll convey the same to the PPSAI WG

Bret Fausett, RySG: Thanks, we have Jian-Chuan Chang and Dennis Tanaka willing to stand for appointment, from the registries.

Mary Wong: Note that Steve Sheng is on the call and can speak to this IETF item if requested

Donna Austin, RySG: @Bret, ARI will also be seeking to have someone appointed as well.

James Bladel: I have similar concerns re: RDAP.

James Bladel: Did we lose Jonathan?

Volker Greimann: Jonathan?

Avri Doria: I just lost audio

Carlos Raul 2:woops
Stephanie Perrin:me too
Volker Greimann:we all did
Carlos Raul 2:he is back
Avri Doria:i do not tink there is any path excet the adhoc path of someone who does both.
Jonathan Robinson:Thansk Avri
James Bladel:I'll always defer to Mary. :)
Mary Wong: :)
Bret Fausett, RySG:Agree on need for closer coorindation. We need to be careful that IETF does not become a back door for reserving a TLD string - and that ICANN isn't a process to interrupt an IETF process.
Mary Wong:Perhaps the Council could invite the IETF rep to the Board to a discussion?
Volker Greimann:Phil, did you have anything?
David Cake:As someone said on facebook, we are finally working outwhat the role pf the PSO might be. Pity it was abolished years ago.
David Cake:Mary - note that besides the formal IETF liaison to the board, Suzanne Woolf is the co-chair of teh DNSOP WG.
David Cake:These Special Ue Names will go through DNSOP.
David Cake:But as James says, liaison on RDAP would also be valuable.
James Bladel:@David - I would hate for EWG to bump up against protocol complaints. They will be further ahead of us in this work.
David Cake:Yes.
James Bladel:consrains. not complaints. :)
Carlos Raul 2:@Phil please share the letter
Mary Wong:@Carlos, I sent it to the Council yesterday with an explanatory note
Carlos Raul 2:will check
Carlos Raul 2:just read your mail, but didnt opne the attachment, if there was one
Mary Wong:It's in the link :)
Carlos Raul 2:txs
Carlos Raul 2:disnt follow the link then
Mary Wong:No worries
Amr Elsadr:@Phil: Thanks for making sure we're always up to date on this PDP.
James Bladel:Only 8 minutes. Well done. :)
Heather Forrest:Thanks all - good night
Carlos Raul 2:txs
Avri Doria:bye all
Stephanie Perrin:Thanks!
Philip Corwin:very welcome
James Bladel:Thanks Jonathan.
Amr Elsadr:Thanks all. Bye.
Olivier Crepin-Leblond:Thank you
David Olive:Thanks ALL
Philip Corwin:hapy summer!
Marilia Maciel:Bye all! Thanks!