TRANSCRIPT GNSO Review Working Party Monday 12th May 2015 at 1900 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-review-

<u>12may15-en.mp3</u>

On page: http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#may

Attendees:

Jennifer Wolfe
David Maher
Klaus Stoll
Chuck Gomes
Avri Doria
Rudi Vansnick
Laura Covington
Bill Drake

Apologies:

Rafik Dammak Michele Neylon

Guest Speakers:

Richard Westlake Colin Jackson Vaughan Renner

ICANN Staff:

Mary Wong
Marika Konings
Larisa Gurnick
Charla Shambley
Terri Agnew

Coordinator:

Recording has started.

Terri Agnew:

Thank you. Good morning, good afternoon and good evening. This is the GNSO Review Working Party call on Tuesday the 12th of May 2015. On the call today we have Jen Wolfe Klaus Stoll, Avri Doria, Chuck Gomes, Colin Jackson Laura Covington and David Maher. I show apologies from Rafik Dammak and Michele Neylon. Our guest speaker is Richard Westlake.

From staff we have Larisa Gurnick Charla Shambley, Marika Konings and myself, Terri Agnew.

I would like to remind all participants to please state your name before speaking for transcription purposes. Thank you very much and back over to you Jen.

Jen Wolfe:

Thanks and welcome everybody. We appreciate your time again here within a short period of time since our last meeting. I thank you all again for taking time to gather here today so we can continue the conversation on the draft document prepared by West Lake.

(Richard) and Colin we're glad to have you here and certainly I'm not sure if there was a mix-up last time but appreciate that you're able to be here today. During our last call we were actually able to work our way through the entire document capturing comments from everyone during our call. So I think what we'll spend the lying share of our time today on is West Lake providing any introductory comments that they would like to make and then responding to the questions and comments that were recorded and raised during our call on May 4.

Of course we'll have time for any further comments, questions, observations from the group to provide to West Lake and then we'll close out just talking about our schedule for the ICANN 53 meeting in Buenos Aries coming up here in June. So with that I'm going - unless there's questions from anybody -

I'm going to go ahead and turn it over to you (Richard) to provide an overview and I'll keep an eye on Adobe Connect so we can pause and ask questions along the way. Over to you (Richard).

So I see (Richard) is on Adobe Connect. Is he having audio problems?

Terri Agnew:

And (Richard) this is Terri from staff. I don't see where your microphone is activated so you also need to dial in. Oh, you're sitting with - I see. He's sitting with Colin and we're getting the dial out request for them right now.

Jen Wolfe:

Okay then we'll just hang on for that for a moment. Does anybody else have any - any other comments or observations? I know we're kind of waiting to hear from them and get their comments and feedback from our last call. Yes, Larisa please go ahead.

Larisa Gurnick:

Hello everybody. This is Larisa. While we're waiting, I just wanted to let everybody know that the website team has had the benefit of the transcripts, the recordings emailed, comments and all of the exchanges that have taken place subsequently. So even though they weren't able to join the call last week, they should be well briefed and prepared to dive right into the key items that were raised, questions, comments and clarifications and such. So as soon as they're able to join us on the line, they should be prepared to dive right in. Thank you.

Jen Wolfe:

Great, thank you. Are they - (Richard) - is he on the line yet?

Woman:

Not yet Jen.

Jen Wolfe:

Okay. Well why don't we go ahead and use the time and just talk about the schedule during the upcoming ICANN meeting so that we're as efficient as we can with the time we have allotted. I know there are really busy schedules and we're trying to find the time for us as a working party to meet face to face.

I know - Larisa did you have any opening comments that you wanted to make on that or did you just want to open it up to see what some thoughts were on what timeframe might be good?

Larisa Gurnick:

Well - hello everybody. It's Larisa again. I wanted to brief everybody on the fact that we reached out to all of the constituency groups to find out times on everybody's schedule where the Westlake team and staff could provide brief updates on the status of the IGNSO review particularly because while we're in Buenos Aries public comment period, we'll be going on.

So (Charlotte) has reached out to many people and is coordinating availability and schedules as well as we have a time designated to provide an update to the GNSO council and then I believe again we're trying to carve out some time during the public meeting with the GNSO.

(Charlotte) did I get that all straight and is there anything else you'd like to add in terms of the different efforts that are underway to brief different groups in Buenos Aries?

(Charlotte):

Yes. This is (Charlotte) for the record. Most of the constituency groups have responded back to me that they do not have their schedule set yet so I'm just continuing communication with them but in the mean time we do have June 21st scheduled at 14:30 for a community update with Westlake and then June 24th at 13:00 on the (unintelligible) council update with Westlake.

Colin:

Good morning everybody. This is Colin here and I'm happy to say we've now finally succeeded in making an audio connection. With me I have (Vaughn) and (Richard Wesley).

Jen Wolfe:

Great. Thank you. Thanks so much. Thanks for joining us today. I'm sorry you were having some audio problems but glad you're here. Why don't you go ahead and take it over from here (Richard)? We just prefaced that most of

the call today would be you providing some opening comments and then responding to the questions and comments raised during our call on May 4th and then we'll open it up again for more comments and questions before we close out today. So I'll turn it over to your (Richard).

Richard Westlake: Thank you Jen. That's great. So what we wanted to do was first of all say thank you to everybody for the valuable comments we had so far both for and at the last call last week and please accept our apologies for the time zone issues.

What we wanted to do today was really just to give you a little bit of an outline of the - excuse me - our thinking as we came together with this latest review and you will notice that we have made substantial changes in this version compared to what we had last time around in the original working text. So thank you again to those who provided the commentary beforehand.

Perhaps just looking very briefly at this report and my apologies for the major tone it has become. I hope some people have managed to work their way through and we know there's a few people indeed had but the report summary is designed for those either who want to - will know that they have an interest in some of it but maybe not all but want to get an overall view or those who simply don't have time to get - and what we're trying to do in the summary is to capture the essence of the entire report.

It's got all of our recommendations. It doesn't of course have the support of the entire team. Then we've got the context and methodology just so people understand where this has come from, what it is and also what this report is not and I think there is still a few misunderstandings there about what the terms of reference might be.

And then we've gone through in the next five sections - the key recommendations that came out of the previous review of the GNSO now we've summarized what the board's recommendations or board's decision

was based on the board governance committee's recommendations, our assessment of how effective those have been, what has been achieved in particular and our also recommendations for further changes, updates, improvements, enhancements.

And then the final section is the one that reflects the fact that the world has changed significantly since the last review and we've tried to look forward obviously through a little bit of a fog but we said there's a number of major developments here which we don't consider that the GNSO necessarily was equipped or was set up to be equipped to handle given that it's a regional conceptual structure really goes back about ten years or more.

And we're thinking particularly the changing demographics and diversity of the internet user compared to the main leadership of the policy making bodies that we see around not just the GNSO but ICANN generally. The internationalization that has come with that with the IVNs, the new GTLDs which clearly are taking us into a whole new world of domain names. And then we have also - because so many people did comment on the GNSO structure - I think it was 120 in total either in interviews or in feedback on the 360.

We have commented. We've made some observations and we recognize that the structure is very complex but in reality all of them function in our view in terms of what the essential key issues are within the GNSO. We think to have those to try and rebuild something today before anybody has really defined what the underlying problems might be would be a distraction which is why we have not recommended substantial structural change other than of course what we've seen in terms of constituencies and the establishment of new constituencies.

And then at the end of course there are a whole lot of appendices which we hope are supporting information and when the public draft goes up they will of course be complete. All the quantitative information from the 360 will be

there. Most of the interviewees are listed. There was a small number as we noted within our anonymity of the fact they had even spoken to us. And we've got various other things such as for example, a proposed revision of the operating procedures.

So Jen that summary is where we got to. We certainly appreciate the fact that a few members of the working party have already come back to us with some commentary and we have been looking at those. We haven't made any of those changes at this stage because we don't want to do that and then get another lot of feedback through the working party before the closing date so that what we might find - we're having to amend amendments and can't actually recall what it was that we were amending. So Jen thank you.

Jen Wolfe: Can somebody from staff - do we have a listing of all of the comments that

were made during the call on May 4 available?

Man: We've got transcripts.

Jen Wolfe: All we have is a transcript?

Richard Westlake: No. We have the voice recording Jen but we don't have a transcript.

Jen Wolfe: Oh you don't, okay. But you have had a chance to go in and listen to the call.

Is that correct?

Colin: I went through, yes.

Jen Wolfe: Okay. Larisa I see. Go ahead please.

Larisa Gurnick: This is Larisa. We do have a red line version of the document and I'm not

sure if that's the version that's loaded into the Adobe room that takes the draft

reports from Westlake and incorporates all the comments starting with (Chuck) and Avri and (Phillip) I believe and others that have submitted

comments. So that may be what we're looking at on paper. That will probably be our best closest record of all the comments that have been received and the portion of the report that they pertain to. I hope that that helps.

Jen Wolfe:

Yes. Can I just get some assessment from the group? You know, I hate to have us go back through everything that we talked about on the last call. Does anybody have anything in particular that they want to make sure they get a response from Westlake or would you like to see Westlake provide a response in writing to all of the comments? Can I get some feedback from the group on what you would like to see at this juncture or do you want to go back through the document?

(Chuck) is saying a response in writing would be fine. Okay so I'm seeing that as a comment. Larisa did you - I'm sorry. Larisa did you have your hand up again? (Richard)?

Larisa Gurnick: No, sorry about that Jen. I should have put it down.

Jen Wolfe: That's okay. (Richard) did you want to jump in?

Richard Westlake: Yes. Jen what I was going to say was in response to the comments we were proposing to adopt the same as we did with the original working text which was to tabulate the comments we'd received and simply the rationale in particular where either we have not incorporated or we've done something slightly different. Where something is incorporated we don't think that an explanation is necessary because people can see that that's come through.

Jen Wolfe:

Okay so very good and I can see on the - I hadn't seen this document that's up and so maybe we could have that circulated out to the group but that is certainly helpful. It looks like we've got all the comments that were made now inserted into the document itself so I think if we get a response (Richard) from you all in writing so we just have some accountability to go back and see that,

you know, those comments were addressed and answered in one form or another, I think that would be helpful for us in keeping track of what we have.

And (Chuck) I see you saying yes, does Westlake - do you have any comments or questions to the group or particularly people who ask some of these questions that you would like clarification on their concern?

Man: Yes Jen...

Jen Wolfe: Yes, go ahead.

Richard Westlake: We've already started the feedback table as we did last time around so we are keeping a record as we go and we certainly thank you. Those are the redline comments you see on the screen at the moment. Those are the ones we had worked through.

We had in our own internally responded to but not yet made amendments to the major document because we're still waiting to see the collective whole at the close of the working party comment period.

Jen Wolfe:

Okay. Did you - did you have any specific questions while we do have some of the people who are, you know, asking a lot of questions or commenting during the last call? Do you have any questions for them?

Richard Westlake: Jen as far as we're concerned, no thank you. We've got sufficient questions to deal with I think in the red light.

Jen Wolfe:

Okay well then let me just ask the group, would you like to go through the report one more time just section by section to add any further comments or does everybody feel comfortable with where we are given the time frame? And the opportunity - of course everyone will have the opportunity again when this is out for public comment to provide further comments but while we are working here with Westlake, please jump in. Avri please go ahead.

Avri Doria:

Yes hi. This is Avri speaking. I personally - I mean I don't know - we can get the same people on that we had last time. I certainly don't have any new comments to make, you know, and if there's not going to be any responses to those comments, just saying them again certainly doesn't seem necessary

Jen Wolfe:

Okay. No, understood and I don't want to waste anybody's time and I appreciate that we've got a lot of the same people on the call and that we've already gone through this one time.

So I think certainly we clearly have that accounted for, recorded and we'll be looking to the Westlake team to provide a written response and I think we're moving on. I don't know if you all on staff might have the timeline to put up but we're moving towards our June 1st date for the draft report to open up for public comment. Does anybody have any concerns about that date as it stands?

Okay so I'm not - I'm not seeing anything. So I think we've done a good job here in terms of, you know, providing a lot of feedback and really watching to make sure that all of the feedback is being heard and responded to and documenting that for the community so that if there are questions that arise at a later point in time, we can certainly go back to that record.

I don't want to waste anybody's time and we have some time scheduled here but are there any other comments or concerns that you'd like to raise with Westlake about the report itself? Yes (Chuck) please go ahead.

Chuck Gomes:

Sorry about that. I was on mute. I just have one question. I know you've already communicated this but I - just refresh my memory. How long a comment period are we talking about?

Jen Wolfe:

So the public comment period starts on June 1st and ends on July 20th.

Chuck Gomes: So - okay so we're talking 40 days. What is that - 50 days?

Jen Wolfe: Yes, almost two months, not quite, yes.

Chuck Gomes: Yes, okay. Thanks.

Jen Wolfe: I know you had raised a concern last time about that being too short of a

timeframe. Do you still have a concern about that that should...

Chuck Gomes: Well I think that goes far enough beyond the ICANN meetings that I would

hope it's okay. We wouldn't want it any shorter because it has the ICANN

meetings in the middle.

Jen Wolfe: Right. Right.

Chuck Gomes I'm okay with that. I mean it's better to air on the longer side although we're

getting into summer and the closer you get to August, I think the worse it gets

so I'm okay with that.

Jen Wolfe: Okay, thank you (Chuck). And I think that's where it will be helpful too of, you

know, going back to our discussion about meeting during the Buenos Aries meeting if we can meet as a group and check in on where we are, what we're seeing in terms of public comments and as we had mentioned in our last call,

we'll start to look at the implementation, you know, impact. What does this

mean? How do we take this and move forward?

And I'll just add we had mentioned this last time with staff if it might be possible to take a look at all of the recommendations that Westlake made and match up a matrix of anything that overlaps with other work that's being done in the community. That might be very helpful to see as just a quick visual

snapshot so that we could talk about that during our in person meeting.

Richard Westlake: Yes, it's (Richard).

Jen Wolfe: Yes, go ahead.

Richard Westlake: Yes Jen thank you. I was just simply saying in case anybody hadn't picked it

that we - Westlake - will be in Buenos Aries and I think we do have a brief session with you scheduled during that meeting so (Colin Jackson) and I will both be there in person and that'll be in the middle of the public comment period as you say so we've got that process available at that stage as well.

Jen Wolfe: Great, thank you. And I think as (Charlotte) said at the beginning, there is a

public meeting during the Buenos Aries meeting. Is that correct (Charlotte)?

Can you just remind us of the date that that's tentatively scheduled?

(Charlotte): The community update is scheduled for June 21.

Jen Wolfe: June 21st?

(Charlotte): Correct.

Jen Wolfe: Okay, thank you. (Chuck) did you have something new? Please go ahead.

Chuck Gomes: Yes, thanks Jen and the June 21st is the Sunday so I assume that's part of

the GNSO working sessions. Is that correct?

Jen Wolfe: I believe that is correct. Is there another public scheduled meeting to update

the community at large or just that meeting?

Chuck Gomes: This is (Chuck). I think they said there's also going to be one for the GNSO

council on Wednesday.

Jen Wolfe: Okay.

Chuck Gomes: But my - the reason I raised my hand was to ask do I understand correctly - I

think this was said earlier in this call - that if constituencies or stakeholder groups would like to have a session on constituency day that they could

request that. Is that correct?

Larisa Gurnick: That's correct (Chuck). This is Larisa so that is absolutely correct. (Charlotte)

has reached out to a number of people and she's gotten responses and will

continue to follow up to schedule that.

Chuck Gomes: Thanks and I will also alert the registered stakeholder group and CC (David)

since he and I are the ones that have been on this most consistently and

about this just as a reminder. Thanks.

Jen Wolfe: Thanks (Chuck). Avri please go ahead.

Avri Doria: Thanks. Avri again. I just want to check on a couple of things. So I forget

which person from what (unintelligible) had this but so they're still waiting for

anymore comments. Can you remind me what was the last date for working

party comments on this second draft?

Jen Wolfe: I think my recollection was this call was the last time.

Avri Doria: Okay, I didn't remember a date. That's why I'm asking.

Jen Wolfe: Yes, this was intended to be the wrap-up call for any other comments,

particularly because we're just a couple of weeks away from June 1 so I don't

think we need to continue it unless we need additional time and we could

certainly ask for that right now but did you have a concern for needing

additional time?

Avri Doria: I just wanted to know what the time was. I don't personally have a need for

additional time. I don't know if anyone else wants to speak to that.

The other thing I wanted to make sure I'd understood correctly is that we will get a write-up similar to the one we got last time where it mentioned most of the people that had put out comments and what the treatment of those comments had been, correct?

Jen Wolfe:

Yes, that is what we're...

Avri Doria:

So we'll get another one of those, okay. That's what we're going to get.

Jen Wolfe:

We're going to get another one of these and it looks like the staff has a red line so we can get the red line out as well but yes, we want to see a table format like we did the last time where, you know, who generally made the comment and what Westlake's response was so that we have a complete record of all the comments made by our working party and Westlake's response so we should have that available.

Are there any other - I don't want to keep everybody on the call but I also want to make sure we've covered everything. Anyone - any other comments, questions, concerns about the timeline we're planning for Buenos Aries?

Larisa Gurnick:

Jen it's Larisa. So the planning for Buenos Aries is a bit challenging I think as (Charlotte) had flagged before the call. It would be really helpful to get some feedback from the working party as to what would be the least onerous and challenging time for us to attempt to do a face to face meeting given everybody's very, very busy schedules. If we could get that feedback on the call, I'd really appreciate that.

Jen Wolfe:

Yes, absolutely so putting that out to everyone. I know again as Larisa said everybody has a busy schedule. Particularly for those of you who are very active, is there a particular day or timeframe that would be best for us to try to come together. (Chuck).

Chuck Gomes:

Well that's very hard to answer except in fairly general terms until we see the ICANN meeting schedule. Now I think it's fairly safe at least for me - I don't know about for others but that constituency day is not a good day which narrows it down to Monday or Wednesday and certainly not during the GNSO council meeting on Wednesday.

So I think we probably have some time on Monday, some time on Wednesday other than the GNSO council meeting and probably on Thursday up until the public forum but I mean that - you can't get too much more specific than that until we see the schedule.

Jen Wolfe:

Right, of course. Is there any objection to an early morning or later in the day meeting for anyone if they need to look at those times? Avri?

Avri Doria:

I'm fine with early morning. The later in the days do get more difficult for some reason. Sorry, I'm eating dinner while talking and choking on it too if that's any consolation to anybody.

Jen Wolfe:

No.

Avri Doria:

I just - I put something in there that I wanted to make sure got heard because it can't conflict with any of the CWG or CTWGs.

Jen Wolfe:

Okay. Okay, well I know - I know for (Lori) and staff I know it's not an easy job to try to find a time and we certainly appreciate it and (Chuck) I agree, I until we see the final schedule it's hard for everybody to know when they've got other commitments but I think that is at least helpful and we will certainly try to find a time that works best for everybody to be able to participate and, you know, I certainly apologize in advance if we happen to find a time that conflicts with your schedule.

Chuck Gomes:

I think the idea of an early morning - this is (Chuck) - an early morning meeting is worth considering. I wonder if you want to do a doodle poll for

early morning meeting. I know in the case of the registries we're going to have fairly early meetings on constituency day so that probably doesn't work on Tuesday but maybe Monday, Wednesday, Thursday early mornings and I don't know if the women - if the meeting for women usually occurs in the early morning. So it would be good to find out when that is so we don't conflict with that but maybe a doodle poll once you know that for Monday Tuesday - excuse me - Monday, Wednesday, Thursday for like a 7:30 meeting or something.

Or I can, you know, I don't know and I don't know if that works for most people or not.

Jen Wolfe: (Chuck) I know you said constituency day is bad. Is an early morning on

constituency day still out of the question or you...

Chuck Gomes: It looks like the registries - we have a couple interest groups that are going to

meet before. Our registry meeting's not until nine but we have a couple interest group meetings that are going to be earlier but let me ask (David) because (David) I think you're on the call. (David) are you going to go to either of those interest group meetings that are going to occur early on

constituency day?

David Maher: No. I'm afraid I won't be able to go to Buenos Aries.

Chuck Gomes: Oh you're not even going to be there, okay. I probably won't go to the interest

meetings so constituency day as far as I'm concerned - I can't speak for

(Brad) or others that have volunteered on this group but though early morning

on Tuesday would probably be okay for me.

Jen Wolfe: Avri I see you're jumping in. I'm trying to respond.

Avri Doria: There's a possibility. I'm not sure whether any of the noncommercials are

having early meetings but I think it's possible. And just out of coincidence, are

the community (unintelligible) doing an interest group or not, you know, on the registry side?

Chuck Gomes: I'm sorry. Which group Avri?

Avri Doria: The (unintelligible) the community applicants.

Chuck Gomes: I haven't seen anything but in the registry call the other day I think the GO's

are and NTAG may be doing early meetings this time instead of at a totally separate day. But I mean that - it could be that they are. It's just I haven't

seen it.

Jen Wolfe: Okay so it sounds like an early morning might need to be what we need to

do. I think a doodle poll makes sense maybe as we get a little bit closer to the meeting when we have more announcements made and then we'll try to find a time and I'm certainly open to meet early, early if that's what we need to do

or at least find the time for us to be able to gather in person.

So we'll plan on launching a doodle pole as we get a little closer. Avri was

that a new hand? Did you want to jump in again?

Avri Doria: No, it's an old hand.

Jen Wolfe: Okay. Okay well like I said we, you know, we know the schedules are tight.

We'll work on getting that scheduled and certainly if you're not able to be in Buenos Aries, hopefully you'll be able to join by phone depending upon, you know, what time it is and I want to thank the Westlake team for being here today and thank everybody again for all your hard work in going through the

report.

I think it's very helpful that we have the summary, you know, we all know and

discussed last time. That's what people are likely to read so we thank the

Westlake team for putting that summary together. And we'll work towards

getting some of these additional refinements ready for us to discuss in person in June. So if there's no other further comments or questions, we'll close this meeting out and then plan to reconvene during the ICANN meeting next month in Buenos Aries.

Any other final comments? Final call.

Richard Westlake: Yes, it's (Richard) here. If I may just very briefly just to say thank you to

everybody who's taken such an active interest and given us such constructed

feedback. Thank you.

Jen Wolfe: Thank you and thank you to staff for all your hard work in getting everything

prepared and we will look forward to seeing everybody in person in the next

month. Thanks everybody. Have a great day.

Richard Westlake: Thank you.

Colin: Thank you.

Woman: Goodbye. Thank you.

Woman: (Mary Anne) if you can please stop the recording.

Coordinator: Once again the conference has been adjourned. Please remember to

disconnect all of...

END