

**Metrics and Reporting Working Group Meeting  
TRANSCRIPTION  
Wednesday 16 October 2013 at 1400 UTC**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Policy & Implementation Drafting Team meeting on Wednesday 16 October 2013 at 1400 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at: <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-metrep-20131016-en.mp3>

On page:<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar#oct>  
(transcripts and recordings are found on the calendar page)

Coordinator: Today's conference call is being recorded, if you have any objections you may disconnect your line at this time. And you may begin.

Nathalie Peregrine: Thank you very much, (Laurie). Good morning, good afternoon, good evening, everybody. And welcome to the first GNSO Metrics and Reporting Working Group meeting on the 16th of October 2013.

On the call today we have Gabriel Vergara, Theo Geurts, Tony Onorato, Mikey O'Connor, Cheryl Langdon-Orr and Tom Lowenhaupt. We have received no apologies for today's call.

And from staff we have Berry Cobb, Lars Hoffman and myself, Nathalie Peregrine. I'd like to remind you all to please state your names before for transcription purposes.

Thank you very much and over to you, Berry.

Berry Cobb: Great, thank you Nathalie. Welcome all. Appreciate your attendance today as we get things kicked off for this new eventual working group. As you'll note today is - or the next few meetings will predominantly be about drafting the charter for the eventual working group. And so as such we'll start things by following some - a few of the working group guidelines before we get into the substance of why we're here today.

So first and foremost I'd like definitely thank everyone for volunteering their time for this effort. A few of us have lived with this recommendation for a while and we'll definitely be eager to get this kicked off and hopefully drive some good effort and changes to help improve the GNSO environment that we live in today. So, again, thank you for volunteering your time.

Before I get started into the statements of interest or the third item on the agenda I'd like to also mention that it's typical practice that we elect a chair for either a drafting team or a working group as we get started. And that is one of our future agenda items that we may or may not be able to accomplish today.

But if nobody objects in the interim I'd like to offer up my services as acting as chair to get this started until we go through the formal process. And if no one objects then we'll just go ahead and move forward. All right great.

So basically one of the requirements for any drafting team or working group is that we announce everyone's statements of interest. For everyone that's in the Adobe Connect room you'll see a list of the volunteers for this effort thus far. It's divided by the actual drafting team/working group participants.

We have our typical observers from the GNSO Council, Jonathan Robinson being our chair, Mason Cole and Wolf-Ulrich are also vice chairs and so they're attached to the list so that they can see the activities going on. And then the last section is staff that supports this effort as well.

You'll also notice with the - you'll also notice with the list that's presented in front of you just about everybody has submitted their statement of interest as I checked as of last night with exception of (Mohammed). And I'll be sure to get with him on the list - on the side to make sure that he updates the statement of interest as well.

As with every new drafting team or working group effort we do like to conduct an introduction from everyone's that's at least on the call today just to give a brief description of some of your background, who your affiliation is with and the like.

So I'd like to just do a quick round of quick introductions. Please state where you're from, what your affiliation is and why you have interest in this particular working group and maybe touch upon quickly some of you past experiences in working (unintelligible) groups and/or the GNSO.

So with that I'll just kind of start off at the top of the AC room list and Gabriel, if you can hear me would you like to start off with the introductions?

Gabriel Vergara: I'm Gabriel Vergara - or Gabriel Vergara. I live in Finland. I'm Mexican. I have been working in the IT community about 25 years and regarding what is ICANN organization and I have been following up during my work in (unintelligible) security advice and security manager as well as policy and design architect.

This is my first time that I join to one work group with you. And I would like to provide good feedback and help to develop the community. And, well, I myself I own certain amount of domains and I have been more or less following how it's developing the whole ICANN organization during the last 10 years. So I am software developer as well as security advisor.

Berry Cobb: Great. Thank you very much, Gabriel. We definitely always welcome new participants into the fold. It definitely helps to ensure that we get, you know,

good participation from as much of the full spectrum of community members that we have so we always definitely welcome new members.

And if you ever have any questions about any of the specific operations of a working group or some of the topics please feel free to reach out not only to ICANN staff but some of the veterans that have done a number of working groups in the past as well so thank you very much.

Jennifer, you're up next.

Gabriel Vergara: You're welcome.

Berry Cobb: Please.

Jennifer Wolfe: Hi. This is Jen Wolfe. Thanks - thanks for having me and thanks for the opportunity to volunteer. For those of you who don't know me I am one of the NomComm appointees to the GNSO Council. I live in Cincinnati, Ohio in the US and that's how I came to be involved with this working group. I knew there was a call for volunteers and there hadn't been very many so I threw up my hand and said I'd be happy to help with this effort.

My day job and how I make a living is I run a digital brand strategy advisory firm. I'm working with a number of the brand gTLD applicants to determine what they're going to actually do with their TLD from a marketing standpoint. But really my larger client base is other companies like Proctor & Gamble and Nestlé where I work with them on their digital strategy initiatives.

And prior to that I ran an intellectual property law firm for a number of years focused in technology industry. So happy to be here and happy to volunteer and look forward to working with everyone.

Berry Cobb: Great. Thank you very much, Jennifer. Your presence on the Council, as well as within this working group will definitely be a bonus and so thank you very

much for volunteering. Mikey, we have you next. Mikey represents the "every day's a Saturday" crowd. And so Mikey, would you please give us a brief introduction?

Mikey O'Connor: Thanks, Berry. This is Mikey O'Connor. Yes, I'm retired so everyday is a Saturday for me. I was on the working group that this recommendation flowed out of as was Berry. I think we are the two veterans of that working group. And that was the Registration Abuse Policies Working Group that happened late in the 2000s, like 2009-ish I think. And it threw off a bunch of recommendations, this being one of them.

And I was also sort of the person that carried the - this proposal through the Council. It was about to be dropped and I was sort of working with my councilors from the ISPCP to keep this rolling forward. So I've got a pretty good sense of what this is about.

I do want to highlight one thing that I think needs to be clear. We, as a group, aren't yet a working group; we are a drafting team. And that's a much less formal group of people and the rules that pertain to our work product are a little different than those of a working group.

And in the case of a drafting team it's good to think of ourselves as a group of people who are helping the Council draft a document but the Council gets to revise that document. We have no authority. And so some of the rules - the working group rules that you see on the right - on the left side of the screen in the Adobe room are less relevant to this so I just wanted to take a little detour on this.

I've been on about 20 working groups in the GNSO now. I've chaired about 10 of them so I'm sort of an old hand. And I'm in the ISPCP, the - I keep wanting to say intellectual service provider, I don't know why - the Internet Service Provider - where I represent an IXP, an Internet Exchange here in the

upper Midwest of the US and owned an ISP back in the 90s. So I'm sort of an old hand at ICANN stuff.

I too, along with Gabriel, own a handful of really, really generic domain names that I registered before the Web happened so I also have that aspect of my background. That's probably enough, huh, Berry?

Berry Cobb: Yes, that - I think that encompasses where you come from, where you are and where you're going so thank you, Mikey, for volunteering yet again for another drafting team that will evolve into a working group.

And I think to carry on the slight torch of what Mikey had mentioned I think that the recommendations that we're working with here for this particular effort is the last - one of the last two standing recommendations out of the RAPWG that I think concluded early 2010.

One of those recommendations is now in idle which is UDRP reform which I believe is set to take off about 18 months after the first delegation of the new gTLD. And then this recommendation that - surrounding this effort is basically the next to last recommendation out of all the recommendations that that group had originally come up with.

And we'll get into a little bit more of the details about the recommendations but basically in short a good chunk of what was originally recommended had been pretty much covered thanks to some good efforts within the Contractual Compliance Team with their reporting and metrics. But there are definitely some other open areas for us to consider within this particular effort as well. So again, thank you, Mikey.

So next I have Theo Geurts.

Theo Geurts: Yeah, that's me. Hi, guys. My name is Theo Geurts. I work for a registrar in the Netherlands as a compliance officer. And through that capacity we are a member of the Registrar group.

And it was pointed out in the Registrar group that this drafting was low on people at the time that's one of the reasons that I joined and, well, we're going to see how my - this is actually my first drafting team work group for ICANN so it's going to be interesting if I can give any contribution to the whole process. I'll leave it at that for now.

Berry Cobb: Great, Theo. I appreciate that. And you'll have to please forgive me, the list of members that I have on the Adobe Connect screen I don't have your name on here it doesn't look like so that's an oversight on my part. For sure with the next meeting I'll have a more up to date list. We were kind of playing with a little backdated list.

Theo Geurts: Oh no worries, all good.

Berry Cobb: Right, great. So thank you for joining. Tom Lowenhaupt, and please forgive me if I mispronounce your last name. Tom, if you're speaking we can't hear you. And, Tom, perhaps you're still on mute or are you trying to use the Adobe Connect mic?

All right, we'll try circling back around to Tom. He's typing in the Chat, so, yes, we can't hear him. We'll - try playing around with it, Tom, and we'll come back to you. And then if not then maybe you can type a short summary into the Chat window or can maybe dial into the bridge.

And so with that let's go over to Tony Onorato.

Tony Onorato: Onorato. Hi, Berry, how are you?

Berry Cobb: Great, thank you very much.

Tony Onorato: Hi, everyone. Thanks, yeah, very much looking forward to the drafting team. This is my first drafting team so quite excited for the experience. I am a lawyer in New York. And I have, for the last few years, been involved with representing a number of applicants in the new gTLD space.

And since that time have broadened my practice to a wider technology-based practice but still with a focus on new gTLD issues and interest, I think is fair to say, in abuse prevention and trying to quantify those particular problems so I think this is a really interesting drafting team/working group and look forward to working on it.

I'm not officially affiliated with the IPC. I see that affiliation up there. I'm actually looking at the BC right now. So if that's in my SOI, which I hope it's not because it would be inaccurate, but I'll take a look at amending that. But that's my interests are in the IP area and in - my client base tends to be applicants and brand owners. So that's where I'm coming from. I look forward to working with you all.

Berry Cobb: Great. Thank you very much, Tony. And, you know, I think one of the key words you mentioned was the abuse and that's really the derivative of this particular effort is at the time the RAPWG was specifically focusing around the different types of registration abuses. And it was in the deliberations on the various types of abuses that were identified and defined out there.

And one of the shortcomings that we experienced was access to data to make a better informed policy decision and thus this specific recommendation out that group has evolved into this. And certainly there are others that are going to be a part of this group that have experience in that area. So definitely we're looking forward to getting this started.

So I think with that I don't see her in the Adobe Connect room but Cheryl, if you're still on the call would you like to give us a brief introduction, please?



Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thanks, Berry. Yes, Cheryl Langdon-Orr here. The reason I'm not in the Adobe Connect room is I'm in two meetings at once which of course is not unusual for the wonderful world of ICANN. So my other device, while I'm in a hotel room in Melbourne, is occupied with another Adobe Connect room so apologies for that, Berry.

I have done a few drafting teams and a number of work groups. I haven't done the tally like Mikey but the numbers are up there. My affiliations and my SOI is up to date with the exception of my current appointment as the Chair of the ICANN Nominating Committee for 2014. I don't think my GNSO SOI has been updated yet but then I don't actually take that seat until Buenos Aires but I should declare that.

Last time I counted, I suppose, I've got somewhere between 20 and 25 domain names in the portfolio and about oh I would say 3/4 - or a little more than 3/4 of those are in the generic top level areas.

I've served in the At Large community in a number of capacities. I'm involved in the country code area and I'm a serving director of the regulator for the DotAU space. And I guess I should also declare that I'm an individual member of the Non Commercial Stakeholders Group as well. Thanks.

Berry Cobb: Great. Thank you very much, Cheryl. And first of all definitely congratulations on the nomination and to the NomComm. I'm sure you'll be loved well over there in that group. Also I'd like to point out that Cheryl, as well as Pam Little, that isn't on the call today, represent us within Australia. And I dare to guess that - what time it is there but I'm suspecting it's 3:00 or 4:00 in the morning?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Not quite yet but I'm sure we'll get to it.

Berry Cobb: So I guess as a heads up, as you can see on the list, we definitely are a very location-diverse group. I don't expect that this chartering exercise to be very

complicated for us. I really only think we'll have two or three meetings before we can put a bow on this charter and pass it to the Council for approval.

And I expect that many of you on this chartering exercise will also continue to contribute within the working group. And as we evolve into the working group to help accommodate time zones just as a heads up we may be alternating times from one week to the next as we continue our work for this effort.

We don't have an exact schedule when that'll occur. We'll possibly try to target this time on Wednesdays and then every other week or every other time we meet, depending on how - the frequency of the schedule, we'll kind of alternate those times to accommodate our friends in the Asia-Pacific region as well. So just wanted to give you a quick heads up there.

All right it looks like Tom is set up on audio so please, Tom.

Tom Lowenhaupt: Yes, hi. You can hear me this time I hope?

Berry Cobb: Yes, sir.

Tom Lowenhaupt: Good okay. Well I'm in New York City. And my interest is primarily in city top level domains. I've been involved with DotNYC for more than a decade. And started a not for profit that advocates for its development as a public interest resource in 2006.

And I guess I come at this from the perspective of looking at city TLDs and what the metrics might be for those in terms of appraising their effectiveness or what have you. And I am - I'm on the - as of last year I - Connecting NYC, this not for profit that I started, is also an At Large structure. And this is the first working group/drafting team that I've participated in.

Berry Cobb: All right great. Thank you very much, Tom. Appreciate your attendance here. And I'm sure we'll try to make this very interesting and worthwhile. And, as I

mentioned to Gabriel earlier, if you definitely have any questions about process or anything please don't hesitate to reach out to myself or to Mikey or any of the veterans; we'll be glad to help get you started.

Tom Lowenhaupt: Great.

Berry Cobb: I think that covers all the participants we have on the call today. I'll just highlight a couple that aren't on the call. The first two on our list, (Mohammad) and (Mwenda) are not on the call. We will send out an email message to confirm that they'd still like to participate. Chances are they will and perhaps this is a time zone issue or a conflict for them.

I'm not familiar with their names. I suspect that they're possibly new to the working group world. And so we'll try to get them involved however we can.

The third participant not on the call today is Pam Little. For those of you that don't know she is a former ICANN staff that worked with the Compliance Department so she certainly brings a wealth of experience to the group especially in regards to GNSO contractual compliance with our contracted parties.

And while that's not necessarily the primary focus for our effort here at least from a contractual compliance standpoint, she is definitely very well versed in the operations of contracted parties as well as the GNSO. And so we'll definitely welcome her participation. And you'll also notice that she's located in Australia as well so I think today's time difference might have been an issue for her.

Next person is Rising John Osazuwa. And I'm not familiar with his name as well so I suspect that he's new and like the others we'll reach out to him. And then lastly Jonathan Zuck, which is also located in DC and affiliated with the IPC. He has a wealth of experience in terms of metrics and reporting, has done a number of interactions with the community to kick off several different

kind of metrics and reporting type efforts namely around the new gTLD program.

He's also been a very big advocate of pushing contractual compliance and their metrics and reporting components. He's very well versed in continuous improvement and a lot of the framework and processes defined behind that. And so he'll definitely be a welcome member here as well.

So I think that pretty much covers everybody's introduction. And we've only got about 30 minutes left so I'm going to run through a couple of other items before we start talking about the charter.

So our next agenda item is talk about the election of chair. Basically this is - a chair is selected at the first meeting of a drafting team or a working group. Of course we are - it's the drafting team phase for the charter. And this particular drafting team may select to have co chairs or vice chairs as they prefer.

To the date, not that we've sent out a whole lot of information, but I haven't seen any interest on the list in terms of anyone interested in taking on this role as chair.

And then, again, I'd like to point out as we go to elect a chair I definitely - the structure of this exercise is - I wouldn't call it as complex as some of the other working groups such as the Policy and Implementation or some of the bigger PDPs that we have ongoing.

So typically what you would have happen is that members of the community would come together, draft a charter. The charter is approved by the working - or by the GNSO Council. Then we'll send out another call for volunteers for working group members. And that's where the more formalized effort occurs within the working group.

Because this is a non-PDP and certainly we have a smaller group of participants I'm anticipating that most, if not all of us that participate on the drafting team will also become part of the working group. So when we start thinking about a possible chair I'm hopeful that we can carry the chair over as we evolve into the working group.

And so basically, as I mentioned, once the Council does approve our charter we will submit another call for volunteers for the actual working group just to try to help increase participation. I think something that you'll notice that we're a little light on here is participation from the contracted parties.

So certainly what I do plan to do after this call is to send a note to the chairs of the Registries and the Registrars and hopefully at least try to get their offline input into the charter before we send this over to the Council if they don't have time to participate for the drafting team exercise but without a doubt we will definitely require their participation within the working group.

Some of the things that we, I think, or the gaps that were identified several years ago from the RAPWG do have connection to the contracted parties primarily the Registrars because that's where most of the contractual compliance focuses on today but as well as the Registries for the very nature that they're going to be growing exponentially as the new gTLDs are delegated in the coming year.

So with that does anybody have any interest in acting as chair for this drafting team effort? If so please speak up. If nobody is very sure about this then we can certainly carry this to the list for our next meeting as well. Mikey, I see your hand raised, please.

Mikey O'Connor: Hi, all. It's Mikey. I was - there are sort of several approaches we could take to this. One of the advantages to a drafting team is that it's a little bit less formal and quite a bit shorter. And so if anybody would be interested in sort of trying their wings, as a chair, the stakes are a little bit lower and it's not a real

long commitment. And I'd certainly be willing to coach somebody from the backseat if they wanted to do that. I'd also be willing to chair it but this is an opportunity for somebody who's been on a few working groups.

I wouldn't encourage somebody for whom this is your first working group but some of you who've been on a few working groups and would like to try your hand at chairing this one, you know, I tend to agree with Berry I don't think this is going to the drafting team part will probably not last a really long time.

I think our goal is probably to have something ready for the meeting in Buenos Aires. And so if anybody would like to try that I'd love to sit in the back and coach but I'd also be willing to be chair.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: And I put my hand up Berry.

Berry Cobb: Yes please Cheryl go ahead.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thanks. And I'm not putting my hand up to be chair so let's be really clear on that. I want to respectfully agree and disagree with Mikey.

I don't necessarily think that in the hopeful very short time that we'll be running this drafting team that we need necessarily have someone with learner or provisional plates going on the management administration as they're called.

I think someone with Mikey's experience would be absolutely ideal because one of the risks it's not a large risk but it's a time consuming one if one goes down these particular rabbit holes that a drafting team does have.

It's quite often when it's deliberations are hitting in the development of the charter and the questions should be probably deliberated is to actually try and start answering those.

And I actually think that what could be useful is in fact to have someone with Mikey's experience to chair this. Now if someone does want to step up and co-chair with him that's fine.

But I would like to see Mikey and someone or someone like Mikey firmly in the front seat and holding the steering wheel and definitely not in the backseat at all. So Mikey I'd be happy for you to chair as opposed to puppeteering from the rear seat.

Berry Cobb: All right great thank you Cheryl. So, you know, I'm not so sure that we'll get this settled today as I put in the chat as soon as the meetings over I'm going to send out request out on the list so that everybody can see that especially for those that aren't participating today.

As Mikey mentioned, you know, I really do expect that, you know, we may even be able to get most of the charter completed or over the list.

And so the real heavy lifting from the chair's perspective won't occur until we evolve into a working group.

So if it's okay or if nobody objects I think for today we'll take this to the list. And I can act as interim chair as we conclude this call.

And then hopefully will take this up for our next call to formalize a chair that will at least cover the drafting team if not carry us through the working group. And it does sound like we have a backup with Mikey if no one else is willing to take on the role.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Sure. Again Berry I mean the working group may indeed evolve into some co-chair possibilities. And I think there might be a distinct advantage to have a co-chair set up for the larger working group activities but yes happy to take it to the list.

But let's not dally too long with it. And given our short response time for the list to confirm, deny, or come up with other opportunities for other people.

Berry Cobb: Great thank you Cheryl agreed 100%. I actually I prefer the co-chair scenario just, you know, getting the volunteer world that we live not everybody can attend at the same time or there is definitely always conflicts that occur so it's nice having that support shared.

Okay just to move things along as I said I will we'll give this out to the list. We'll take care of this first agenda item for our next call and then we'll move forward.

So what I have shared up in the Adobe Connect room is a draft charter for this effort. Essentially just I guess a couple of points.

For those of you that had a chance to look at this charter template it's something that, you know, we're definitely going to start addressing now that is the mainstay of the drafting teams work that we have before us.

Essentially we draft out this charter. Send it over to the - once we've all agreed that that's the right charter then we'll send it over to the GNSO Council for their approval. And then from there then the working group officially forms.

What you'll see here and I think I've given you each individual control. What is listed in this draft I've tried to fill out the cells that basically I can fill out.

You know, it's not necessarily staffs job to define what the mission and scope and objectives and goals are.

So I've tried to complete this with canned responses that we've used from previous chartering exercises. And then basically highlighted in yellow the



key areas that this drafting team will need to fill out most of which centers around Section 2 which is the mission purpose and deliverables.

So I think, you know, the real effort here is about drafting these few areas of the charter to ensure that our scope is well defined and focused enough for the working group to address these open questions that have been outlined in the final issue report and - as to what we come up with here within the chartering exercise.

I think in short, you know, we typically we'll meet on a weekly basis. Then I up until we get the charter approved by the group we'll go through the work plan in just a few minutes but in short I think we want to try to target at least have this charter defined and approved by the working group so that the GNSO Council can consider it in Buenos Aires.

For those that may not be familiar with the schedule the GNSO Council we do have a meeting on 31 October with the documents and motion deadlines due by the 24th I believe.

I'm not sure that we'll have completed the charter by then thus we'll start to - we'll try to approach or send the approved charter from the working group over to the GNSO Council for the Buenos Aires meeting which is I think November 20 with a deadline of 13 November to submit motions and documents for their consideration.

So I don't think that we'll be spending a whole lot of time today working on the mission and scope. I've got one other document that I'll share with you that will hopefully spark some ideas about where we need to take all of this.

First and foremost I encourage every member to read the final issue report that is labeled uninformative of reporting. That was the original terminology used for the recommendation back in the RAPWG.

Based on past experiences that uniformity of reporting wasn't probably the best title and the transition of creating the final issue report and have in the council approve this effort the name was changed to GNSO metrics and reporting and the like.

So again within the charter the draft charter itself Section 1 is just some of the metadata associated with this effort.

Section 2 is what we'll mostly need to fill out amongst the drafting team here again what our task and deliverables are expected to be, the time frame in which we expect to do it.

And then Section 3, Section 4 are really more a template component to the charter that define the working group guidelines that basically form the rules by which we operate, what are working group roles are, functions and duties as well as decision making methodologies in terms of trying to establish consensus on any future recommendations, et cetera.

So with that again this is basically just a draft template that I have here for you. Please start to review it.

And one other document that I want to share with you -- and I'll be sure to send this out to the list after this meeting -- is essentially a high level you could almost call this notes or thoughts from myself basically as we've tried to move this forward to this point.

A quick history lesson the GNSO Council approved this effort back in May 2013. And throughout the summer time again if you recall we had very little participation or volunteers for this effort.

And we had worked with the council that, you know, given the short or the minimal volunteers available that perhaps this could be a staff led exercise.

Eventually the council didn't want that to happen. And in trying to navigate all of those particular tasks it started to put together kind of notes of what's of what this effort may look like.

And so the document you see before you is kind of a rough draft on a mission and scope topics that we may want to consider looking at as well as some aids that may help us not necessarily with chartering or drafting the charter here but most certainly as we progress into the working group.

So just in short real quick the document you see before you -- and I'm sorry Cheryl you don't have this in front of you -- but basically the first section is contains the results statement that the GNSO Council approved.

The first recommendation again was essentially that the original uniformity of reporting recommendation centered mostly overgrown contractual compliance

That was basically concluded at the beginning of 2010. And considering where we're at today the contractual compliance team has done a considerable amount of work with respect to reporting and metrics of their compliance functions.

And way back in the beginning of 2010 they had started executing on a three year plan to involve the contractual compliance function within their group.

And they're basically coming to a close of that three year plan at the end of this year by which around January or February it's anticipated that the contractual compliance team will brief the council on the conclusion of that three year plan as well as future efforts that they have on their plate as well as we'll also probably do some sort of a review of the metrics themselves and kind of comparing a before and after kind of scenario from them.

But for the most part this first recommendation is not necessarily within our scope. There is a second recommendation that is mostly what the final issue report is about which is that the GNSO Council further improves the creation of a drafting team to develop a charter which we're doing to consider additional methods for collecting necessary metrics and reporting from contracted parties and other external resources to aid the investigation which is primarily what we're focused with.

The second section of this document is again just a starter draft on the mission and scope. Certainly the working group members here when you start to review this you can consider this or you can throw it out.

Again what's really kind of a starter idea as this was going to be a staff led effort but it's purely up to the working group to help define what the mission in scope will be as defined in the charter. So I'm just hoping that maybe you'll find some of this useful as we progress into this exercise.

On Page 2 of this document is what is considered topics to be explored. Basically the first section discusses what due diligence on certain projects that are ongoing such as myICANN, reporting aspects within the SSAC and RSAC.

Certainly there's a lot of momentum around reporting within the new gTLD environment as well as some other efforts that are going on within the policy and implementation working group.

And while it's not necessarily our scope certainly there is a lot of metrics that may be beneficial for consideration within the contractual compliance realm.

Essentially the second subsection of this is researching data that is external to ICANN. I think one of the biggest gaps that we identified back in RAPWG was that our visibility into data external to ICANN was very minimal.

And more specifically that data that may be beneficial for a policy group where that data may exist with contracted parties.

I think there have been several instances not only in the RAP but within PEDNER with respect to expiration of domain name, within IRTP in regards to transfer of domain name.

It's been understood or uncovered that some of the data external to ICANN are not in control within ICANN could be beneficial to help inform the policy development process. And that's most definitely one of the primary things that we'll want to be focusing on here.

Additionally there are also other data sources like the APWG, UDRPs, Stanhouse, other types of ISP metrics botnet now where abuse is that we may want to review and explore and understand how the GNSO as well as any particular PDP may have access to some of that data to again better inform the policy decision making that goes on.

The last section of the topics to be explored is something for the working group to consider is that we'll want to review the templates that we used to conduct the work that we do such as reviewing charter templates, reviewing working group guidelines, issue report templates and understanding what gaps exist in those templates that we should start to ask questions of what metrics are going to be utilized at the beginning, middle and end of a particular policy development process.

And if policies are created how we can measure them in the future to understand the effectiveness of that policy, you know, a lot of times that does center around contractual compliance.

But not only is it that the policies themselves that we may be looking at but we might also be looking at just the operations of a particular working group as they move forward from start to end.

And so it's all about really trying to identify what some of the critical success factors are, what certain KPIs may be created in these efforts, and really just kind of taking a holistic view of how we operate within the working groups and perhaps how we operate at the GNSO level and how metrics and reporting can help (unintelligible).

Just real quickly that the last few pages that are included in these charter notes are some charts that I pulled from a continuous improvements section of a large library of process documentation I have.

And I think a lot of these will be familiar to Mikey and some of the others that are involved in metrics and reporting out there and especially in the IT world.

Much of what I have included here is from a library that's essentially defined as the ITIL it's the Information Technology Infrastructure Library.

And it's basically a plethora of different types of processes that you would use to manage an IT infrastructure. Of course we're not IT within the policy world however there are several concepts and frameworks that are used that may help benefit our efforts here.

And so I included them just too really kind of start sparking some ideas that we should not only include in the charter but definitely things that we would want to include as we evolve into a working group from this drafting team.

But in short it's the dining cycle. A chart on why do we measure a seven step improvement process data collection procedures and to try to how to map from a vision to actual measurement and the repeat process to always perform a check as to are we measure what we said we were going to measure those kinds of things.

(Tom) I see what you're asking KPI is a Key Performance Indicator (unintelligible).

So anyway way as I said I'm sorry I didn't get to talk to you prior to this meeting. I will send this out this evening for you to consider and to help start invoke ideas for us completing the charter.

Any questions up to this point? I know I've been rambling on mostly. I apologize for that. I've got one more document to Mikey please.

Mikey O'Connor: Thanks Berry it's Mikey. I typed in the chat a couple of times Berry that, you know, you're conflating working group and drafting team in your remarks.

And I think it's important to just amplify that we are defining what the project will be doing and not defining its deliverables.

So some of the stuff at the back I wouldn't expect to see in a charter. I would expect that to show up maybe in a report because those look more like a destination than a description of what the efforts going to be.

And I think the other thing that we as a group need to think carefully about before we get into how the project is going to work or how the working group is going to work we need to think about what's the problem that we're trying to solve.

And the list at the front of your document Berry is pretty broad. I would put together - put out the premise that some of those things are more managerial metrics.

They're more metrics that ICANN the corporation might consider implementing certainly fine. But the problem we're trying to solve at least left over from the registration abuse policies genesis of this is improving the factual policy can be made.

And I think we're going to want to spend some time exploring that question. What's the problem we're trying to solve is the one that the RAP working group came up with, still valid, does it need to be refined, et cetera.

And so actually as I look at this current state of play I think we've got some interesting conversation to have as a drafting team but I do want to circle back to that and say look we are a drafting team.

We are essentially a group of people helping the council draft the charter. But we unlike a working group have no authority whatsoever. And with that I'll end my little rant.

Berry Cobb: Thank you Mikey. And I don't see it as a rant. And if I wasn't clear enough those particular notes that I sent are really just a bunch of different ideas on the paper.

You're absolutely right. We need to understand what the problem is before us. And hopefully the final issue report tried to outline a good portion of that.

So without a doubt that is the authority that defines or the guiding principles behind our charter and we definitely need to address the shortcomings that are mentioned within that issue report that got this approved by the council to begin with.

And definitely Mikey is most certainly right a lot of what I included in the notes are probably more for use within a working group and not necessarily the drafting team.

I only offered those up as ideas of what things we might want to be considering as we define the charter.



But ultimately they're notes from me as staff. They're at the end of the day it's the working group that helps to find the charter or the deliverables that we need to accomplish and the work plan and the scope of what we're trying to do.

So if through our deliberations none of what I presented in the notes there is used that's perfectly fine. It's truly the working group that defines what we're trying to move forward here.

Okay I see that we only have four minutes so I'm going to briefly just what I have put together here is a rough work plan. Again this is definitely more inclined for a working group not necessarily a drafting team.

But what you will see in the first ten, or 11, 12 rows is what we need to accomplish as a drafting team to get this forward to the GNSO Council.

I'll also be sure to send this out to the list. As I mentioned we have until the 13th or 14th of November to submit those documents and motions to the council for them to consider in Buenos Aires.

So I think that that gives us roughly three more meetings from now if we choose to meet on a weekly basis to have the charter completed in time.

As Mikey said, you know, I think there are a couple of interesting conversations that we need to have when we develop this charter.

Hitting the Buenos Aires target would be ideal but it's not the end of the world if we don't if we do run into issues that we need to deliberate further on in terms of building the charter. So I won't go into any more than that.

For the time being in terms of confirming our next meeting I'm proposing that we try to meet on a weekly basis up until we get the charter accomplished or completed.

As of right now this seemed to be the best meeting time and I will try considering doing an alternate meeting method if we need be.

Again I'm also hopeful that we can try to accomplish much of the charter over the list. But for the time being for next week we'll meet at the same time I forgot the UTC time.

Anyway...

Man: It's 1400.

Berry Cobb: So yes thank you 1400. And so we'll go ahead and get that scheduled for the next session.

I'd also like to point out that as this drafting team migrates into a working group effort around that time frame we'll also be announcing a newcomer session for this working group.

Essentially it's for those participants that this is your first time as a working group. There will be an overview of how working groups operate, the tools that they use, and it also touches on some of the working group guidelines that shape how working groups function and operate. And we'll send more out of that to the list as well.

And one last item I'd like to bring up to you is that I have scheduled a session for us in Buenos Aires based on the Doodle poll that I had submitted out to the list a while ago.

It sounded like only two out of all of this were not going to be able to attend in Buenos Aires so it's not 100% written in stone that we'll have a session or not.

Certainly we hope to have the charter sent to the council for their approval. We really won't necessarily have been approved to form a working group then but perhaps it would still be a good opportunity for those of us that are in attendance to meet face to face.

We can add just a short 15, 20 minute meeting to say hi as well as as we go through the second and third meeting up to Buenos Aires if we feel we don't need the session it's always easier to cancel it. So it's therefore a need it and it's definitely always a good opportunity to meet people in person as we continue forward with our work.

Okay. So that was a lot for us to cover today. It is the top of the hour. I owe everybody a bunch of documents out to the list which I'll send out over the next few hours and we'll get moving forward.

If you have any questions or comments or concerns please send them to the list or reach out to me personally and I look forward to talking to you next week at the same time (unintelligible) UTC.

And are there any last minute questions before we all hang up? All right great. Thank you for everyone's time. I appreciate you volunteering and I'll see you next week. Take care.

Man: Thanks Berry.

END