

**ICANN
Transcription ICANN Kobe
GNSO NCUC Excom Meeting
Saturday, 09 March 2019 at 15:15 JST**

Note: Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page <http://gns0.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar>

Bruna Santos: Okay, welcome everyone to the EC meeting at ICANN 64. Thanks very much for joining this meeting to the ones who are not from the EC also are here. On the agenda today, we have a quick checkup from one of many of our discussions since Barcelona. Other than that, we will have a short report from the finance committee and I don't think we will be able to have policy committee report. I don't think (unintelligible) is here but we'll rain check on that.

Other than that, our appointments to the NCSG committees, bylaws implementation, resources allocation, and last but not least, conflict (unintelligible) procedures for NCSG leadership positions. So should we do around of presentations and then we can start the meeting? Okay, if we can start then with Thato, just a short round of presentations.

Thato Mfikwe: Hi, everyone. Thato Mfikwe. I was not exactly sure that I'm going to be presenting in this meeting. I thought it was NCUC constituency. So just to give a report in terms of the finance committee.

Bruna Santos: I'm so sorry. It's just like just a short presentation and then we'll go back to the finance committee.

Thato Mfikwe: Oh, just an introduction.

Bruna Santos: Just an introduction. So sorry.

Thato Mfikwe: My name is Thato Mfikwe from South Africa and I'm currently a participant within the finance committee and also the chair of the finance committee. Thanks.

Bruna Santos: Zakir?

Zakir Syed: Zakir Syed. I am from Pakistan and ICANN (unintelligible) fellowship coach. I'm an NCUC member and have been following different things happening at NCUC. Thanks.

Bruna Santos: My name is Brunna Santos. I am the NCUC chair.

Louise Marie Hurel: Hi, everyone. Louise Marie Hurel here. I am the European region representative at the Executive Committee of the NCUC. Thank you.

Ines Hfaiedh: Hi, everyone this is Ines Hfaiedh, Africa representative in NCUC executive committee from Tunisia. Hi.

David Cake: David Cake, Asia-Pacific representative on the NCUC committee.

Michael Karanicolas: Hi, I'm Michael Karanicolas. I'm the North American representative on the NCUC Ex Committee.

Bruna Santos: Thank you very much.

(Raul): (Raul) here from (unintelligible) at large just doing work.

Sebastien Bachollet: Sebastien Bachollet from (unintelligible).

Bruna Santos: Thank you very much for the introduction. So a quick checkup we meant to do was just a moment for us to share the development from the leadership in the recent months. We have been doing this in our past EC meetings sharing some initiatives we have been vote with. And so I invite the other EC members to share any recent initiatives if there is.

Michael Karanicolas: So there was an event which we had - it wasn't an NCUC event, per se, but it was an event about ICANN and multi-stakeholder at American University, which is hosted by Professor Christine Farley earlier this month, no last month in February, which I spoke along with Kathy Kleiman and some folks from IPC and ICANN staff and the ICANN board.

So that was a very good event. It was a very good discussion and I'll just mention that if anybody missed it and wants to check it out, it is available online on the American University website, and I think on our Twitter feed. Maybe not on our Twitter feed. It's definitely on my Twitter Feed and it's on Christine Farley's Twitter feed.

Bruna Santos: Thank you very much.

Louise Marie Hurel: Hi, everyone. Louise Marie Hurel for the record. Just a couple of updates. I think I said that in our last meeting but I do think it's interesting to mention again. So since the beginning of the year, there were a couple of things. I hope I don't miss out on any of those, but one of the things was Euro Dig Preparatory Meeting that happened over in The Hague. If I'm not mistaken, the end of January. I might be wrong. I don't have it in front of me.

But there was this preparatory meeting where we were trying to at least set the agenda and set the theme. So it was great to be there. And there will be a session, as I recall, on ICANN, during the meeting. I don't remember now

specifically. I can get back with the information. I gave that during our last call. But I have to do that again.

And the other thing was a prep meeting for this PDP, actually a side event that was organized by the GSC, and I was there. It was Tatiana, Ayden, Olivier. They spoke a little bit about Civil Society participation at ICANN and so yes, it was a whole side event on that. So it was great also to be there. And I think that's it. I think I had more things, but as I said, I already said that in our last meeting. There were like latest developments on that. But the idea is to continue to follow these processes and keep our members - oh yes, keep our members informed.

So the last thing was the (RISE) fellowship that just closed on March 4 that was also circulated in our mailing list. So yes, that's it. Thank you.

Ines Hfaiedh: Okay, Bruna. This is Ines Hfaiedh. For me, we had the Forum on Internet Freedom in Africa, what you call FIFAfrica. And it was a great opportunity to meet up with a lot of NCUC members. It was a three-day event and we really had an opportunity for outreach and for introducing more NCUC to the African members.

Also, I had shared some call for applications on the NCUC Africa members list, especially regarding Rights Con and Rights Con, as you know, is going to be in Tunisia. So we're looking forward to welcoming all of you. So at Rights Con, we will have an ICANN both, information both. So we were connected by ICANN to be in charge of that booth and we are looking forward to having some volunteers there as well.

And for me, I think from Barcelona to Kobe. I think there was a good move towards being more transparent and more reaching out more to the membership. I think that was a good move. Opening, for example, the comments to the membership ahead of time, giving more time for the membership.

Also for the Africa membership, for example, they reached out to me. Now, we have a relation of not me, for example, suggesting the topics for the webinars but them actually reaching out to me. And right now, we are working on an EPDP webinar for the Africa membership. So that's all for me.

Bruna Santos: This is Brunna again for the record. Thank you very much, Ines. I do think we could be, once again, doing a better job engaging with members and maybe bring back those regional webinars, which, like, everything we have been pretty much the only one doing this or we had rare occasions of the same thing happening elsewhere. So it's a good initiative.

Louise Marie Hurel: Sorry, just before David talks a little bit about the Asia-Pacific, I was just going to mention that one of the things, obviously, is how do we develop strategies for each region. And as I said previously, these are different ways of engaging. I do think that is very particular of the way that Ines has developed in communicating with the region specifically. I do think that, for example, the European region has been much more being there and trying to make sure that members in organizations throughout the region stay informed.

We might try the webinar but just bearing in mind that there is a regional sensitivity as to what are the strategies of communication over there. So just wanted to note thanks.

Bruna Santos: Thank you very much, Louise. I do agree this decision we should be developing in the coming months. David?

David Cake: Just briefly, there haven't been any sort of broad Asia-Pacific events that I've been able to attend and there haven't been that many. I have been talking to try and see if we can get some support to get more people to attend the regional IGF.

I also, I'm trying - I think there will be an event for the sort of IFS network but probably not until next year. So (unintelligible) outside my term that we should start preparing for that. And I think actually I should do a webinar too. So it's a good suggestion.

Bruna Santos: Thank you very much, once again. So not moving on in the agenda yet, but adding one last point. We have been discussing our (unintelligible) day agenda and I just wanted to clear up some questions that have been on the list about the participation on the global commission of disability (unintelligible) space. They reached out to us and asked whether or not they could be doing, like if we had interest on welcoming them to our meetings to discuss future work of the CSCG.

It's a complicated acronym. But it's, yes, but then the idea for their participation in the meeting is to discuss a proper definition and principles for cyber civility and strategic architecture. They are also going to bring on some (unintelligible) point on the Singapore (norms) and the idea is for them to receive some input from us non-commercial. So the global commission would be welcomed both at our meeting and at the NCSG meeting.

So this would be mostly a joint discussion that will start with our meeting and then end with theirs. So we're still sorting out the details but just to keep you guys on the same note about this. Go ahead, Ines.

Ines Hfaiedh: Thank you, Bruna. This is Ines. I was just wondering if you knew already who are the speakers and if we could add, because I have the agenda, like meeting points or what we have in common with them, so the attendants understands why we are inviting the GCSC.

Bruna Santos: This is Bruna again for the record. Thanks for correcting the acronym. So far, the confirmed commissioners are (Olevie) and (Abadu Hakim). So they are the two who are joining both the NCUC and NCSG meetings. We might have some more confirmations from the commissioners because they are

doing a back-to-back meeting with this ICANN 64. So if we walk just outside this room, you'll be able to see the meeting of the global (unintelligible).

So yes, I have David on the queue and then Louise.

David Cake: I just wanted to - I mean when I saw the people would be coming speaking to us. One of them is (Anna-Maria). The house has one more experience in optimizing large global civil society coalitions than any of us will, probably will, so yes. I think she'll be very open to useful and constructive discussion about how our network can interact rather than just - we should use that opportunity as much as we can.

Louise Marie Hurel: Louise here for the record. I do agree with David. I was just going to note that the GCSC has been in place throughout, like, I think now two years if I'm not mistaken and they have come out with a couple of different norms throughout these years. And now, they're coming to the moment that they're really trying to reach out.

They have done those things but now, they're really reaching out to different organizations and it's really nice to have them over here at ICANN. And I do think that even though the norms discussion is not necessarily - the cyber norms discussion is not as close as we might think to what we might conceive of NCUC and NCSG. But I do think it's an important outreach and also, if we can, to just make it clear in the introductions that just say what they expect from us in terms of feedback, no why they decided to engage at ICANN. These things are really interesting and important for us to kind of know how we can better provide inputs or how we can approach this from a human rights perspective and human rights and user centric perspective, how can we include that in the norms that they are proposing.

So I'm really looking forward to the discussion on this regard. I do think there is a great overlap that hasn't been explored but just wanted to note that.
Thanks.

Bruna Santos: Thank you very much, Louise. This is Brunna again. But just to read you guys the emails that I received from (Volcom) was that part of the discussion of the global commission at this meeting will be the further enhancement of our so-called Singapore norms package, which is (unintelligible) strength, experience (unintelligible) space - public space during the phase of drafting the final report.

So as the final report is planned to bring a number of recommendations on how to enhance resilience (unintelligible) ability. They were meaning to get some views from the non-commercial community about future challenges to enhancing security and stability in cyberspace. So Louise's suggestion is I think it's very good for us to maybe explore the human rights kind of, like, intermission with this whole discussion. So that's definitely something we should keep in mind.

So about this point, I will take a note for us to - I will write an email to the membership today or tomorrow morning explaining that the global (unintelligible) will join our constituency today and probably the goal (unintelligible) from this participation if everybody is okay with that.

So moving on in our agenda. I guess we will welcome Thato just to give us a short report on the finance committee recent development. Thato has been NCUC appointed to the finance committee for the past year and we have just selected a new one, so Ayden is the new one. Thato has also served as Chair of the Committee for this past year so we also like to thank Thato for all the work he has done.

And not forgetting that we also put in Thato as an observer to the (states) for us not to miss this link with the work he has been doing and not to also handle, like, throw away everything you have done so far, Thato. So it's pretty much a short report on this so maybe five minutes or even less. It's your decision. Thank you very much.

Thato Mfikwe: Thanks, Bruna. Again, Thato Mfikwe. Just to give - I hope I will be able to stay within that five minutes. Just to give an overview in terms of what we've been busy with at the finance committee, we've been participating in the comment process of ICANN budget in 2018 and 2019. And we also facilitated the submission of a community comment on IANA and (PTI) budget and then we also participated in ICANN 62 outreach.

We've had several online meetings with members of the finance committee and then we have been reviewing also the membership platform, which is the (CDCRM). And then we actually developed a standardized template for (APR) submission. But now, I wanted to also come to one of the main tasks that we have been meeting on as the finance committee, which is the operational procedures of the finance committee.

As you might be aware that the finance committee has never had any operational procedures. So we started (unintelligible) developing those and then there were some agreements that we have reached as the finance committee after consultation with the community.

So number one. We agreed that the chairs of NCUC and NPOC that they should become observers of their finance committee without necessarily them being invited to become. And then number two, it was also agreed that constituencies are allowed to seek for advice from the finance committee. Whatever advice that is obtainable from finance committee is not necessarily (binding).

And then there was an issue of a bank account. I know that there was communication about alternatives of opening a bank account. So I know that the chair of NCSG is trying to actually put that matter of the bank account to rest. But from my side, I say that we need to ensure that the finance committee is also involved in establishment of this bank account for NCSG.

But the bank account itself might necessarily necessitate that NCSG be incorporated. And then we, as the finance committee, we were also planning on making sure that the committee, it's maintained within NCSG and ICANN itself. And then we have Rafael, and apologies I forgot the surname. Rafael was recruited as an observer within the finance committee to forecast on the (CVCRM).

Now, coming to the issues that we are facing as the finance committee. Number one, there's an issue of compliance to the NCSG charter because in order for compliance to take place, there needs to be willingness to comply to the charter. Because it seems to be kind of - there seem to be a misunderstanding in terms of what the charter entails in terms of the finance committee itself.

Like for example, (unintelligible) up what you're auditing and your accounting activities, financial reporting, and exercising due diligence and decision making. These are some of the things that we are facing. Yes, Ines?

Ines Hfaiedh: You're talking about the NCSG charter 2011 charter?

Thato Mfikwe: Yes, I'm referring to the 2011 NCSG charter that is available on the ICANN website.

Ines Hfaiedh: Okay. So you are feeling that there is a - it's not very compatible with the NCUC charter?

Thato Mfikwe: No, what I am saying that the NCSG charter is very clear in terms of what is expected of the finance committee. But whenever the finance committee decides to actually implement the stipulations that are there, it seems like it brings some level of discomfort from the members or maybe from the leadership itself. Because another thing that we also need to check is how the NCUC charter synergizes or works well with the NCSG charter. Because that could be also one of the reasons why there's so many disagreements in

terms of what the finance committee should be doing and how it should be doing it.

So I hope I've answered your question.

Ines Hfaiedh: I'll follow-up with another question because I need to reread the - I'm reading the paragraph about the NCSG finance committee. So I will follow-up with a question. Thank you very much.

Thato Mfikwe: Thanks. So another issue that we've been looking at, the finance committee, because you might be aware that NCSG doesn't have a bank account and the funds usually, there are monies to buy NCUC. But now, since we are trying to actually, like, establish or frame up the finance committee itself, it seems like NPOC specifically is having a problem with the current status quo. Because they feel that they also need to have equal access to all these finances without having to even wait for NCUC to see how they can actually support them and stuff like that.

But I think Remmy would have been better positioned to provide more closure in terms of NPOC and the position that got to this. Bruna?

Bruna Santos: Thank you very much, Thato. Just I wanted to answer to this point but I will ask you to be really quick with this update as we went over the five minutes already and we need to be reviewing this meeting in 35 minutes. So just to clear up on this, this affirmation about NCUC managing the resources of NCSG is not very accurate. Because it was only for this past year that CIR changed the funding to the NCSG. So everything that has been donated to NCUC is NCUC's funds. So we do need to clear up on this because it's not helping the community in this terrible, like, discussion about who should be using the resources or administering them. It's really tiring even that we have been doing this for a year already.

So and just like - and before that, I guess for anyone to discuss access to resources and how the finance committee will be able to help on this, we should be discussing the operational procedures to the finance committee before everything else. We should be better developing them. So it's just like - and I very much welcome you into this meeting and I do appreciate all the (income) that has been presented here but we do need maybe to work more together in discussing points and how NCUC can help the finance committee instead of us maybe here discussing some of the problems who are being shared by NCSG and not NCUC in the first place.

So just ask you to quickly (unintelligible).

Thato Mfikwe: Okay. Just to (unintelligible). I think another issue that needs to come to the picture is that the finance committee on Thursday will be having a session, whereby we will be looking at the (unintelligible) operating procedures in sales to see how we can actually work towards finalizing them so that we can forward them to the committee for adoption. And we - currently, there is no clear guideline in terms of how the finance committee should be working with constituency (unintelligible), which is another thing that has actually brought all this (connect) or lack of understanding in terms of how we should be moving.

So the finance committee has been engaging the community and NCUC executive committee on several topics and issues, and we've been providing periodic reports. But we've just had one oversight into guide to submission of ABRs because this year's ABRs, they seem to be a little bit problematic because we had a very short period of time to submit. So we had an issue on that additional problem and we did take responsibility for the fault that we had made in terms of meeting an ABR without necessarily consultation with the community.

Bruna Santos: Thank you very much, Thato, and I do appreciate you being in this meeting. And later today, actually, I will email the meeting - letting everyone know

about the FC meeting this week, just so we can have more membership there than being and actually helping the FC. And hopefully, we can bring some more observers from the list and people who are really willing to help with the finance committee and get more people engaged.

I guess we can move on with the agenda then. So no we don't, unfortunately we don't but then we can run this report on the constituency day, which is the - I have invited both Claudio and Rafik to join our meeting. So policy committee report will be there. Farrell, unfortunately, is not here so we'll have Rafik and Claudio.

Then on the appointments to NCSG committees, just a quick note on this. We are concluding the appointments process. So we already did NCSG executive committee. We recently did finance committee and I will open the call for the policy committee appointees. Today, we have two appointees, both Farrell and Claudio Lucena. And I did - I remember I recall doing a constituency with Farrell back in Barcelona. He is interested in continuing in the policy committee. Claudio, I am not sure but I can follow-up on the consultation. So we'll open this call very soon.

So any points to add on this? Maybe since we have David with us who is from the policy committee, do you have recommendations on - since you are going to open a call for the policy committee. Because it seems like one of our two representatives is not very sure right now. What do you think are the criteria that we should put in the call for applications for the next policy committee member?

David Cake: Really just a history of involvement in policy activity or, yes, history of involvement in - well, I would say GNSO PDP.

Bruna Santos: Just one follow-up question. Do you have any, so far, impression on both Farrell and Claudio as NCUC representatives to the policy committee?

Because I know Farrell has been pretty active so far but I'm not sure about Claudio.

David Cake: I haven't been in the group so I (unintelligible). Well, I don't remember interacting with either of them in the policy (unintelligible). I can't speak for them but I haven't involved in two of the three major policy processes. I think it would be really worth canvassing people who have been in groups with them (and are) active. I mean active doesn't necessarily need to mean loud. It can be - there are lots of ways to be active. But I would see if they've been active on those groups.

Bruna Santos: Thank you very much, David. Do you have a question?

Ines Hfaiedh: I was wondering, Brunna, do we really have, like, a set number of (unintelligible)? Does it have to be only two observers? Do we have a text or something?

Bruna Santos: According to the bylaws in the (unintelligible) it's two representatives. And we also welcome - we have more observers to the list because all GNSO councilors are added to the policy committee automatically. So that's why we have some people who are not (unintelligible). Go ahead, Maryam.

Maryam Bakoshi: Sorry, a few housekeeping rules. I know everyone is saying their names but just in case you forget, please just remember to say that. No, that's fine. And then off mic conversations are not going to be recorded. So please speak into the mic. Thank you.

Bruna Santos: Thank you very much, Maryam. So yes.

David Cake: It's also relatively common. Some people who have been on the policy committee for a long time to be just left on as observers. There are quite a few observers that are not current office holders.

Maryam Bakoshi: David Cake, right?

David Cake: That was David Cake.

Bruna Santos: Great. This is Bruna again for the record. Go ahead, Thato.

Thato Mfikwe: Thanks. Just wanted to comment on the appointment of policy committee representatives. I can talk from experience. From my side, when I participated within NCSG I didn't have a (unintelligible) in terms of what ICANN does, but although I did have a (unintelligible). But me being appointed in the finance committee, it gave me an opportunity to actually, like, do a lot of (unintelligible) and actually understand this is what is happening.

So my main point is that let's consider opening up for people who are not yet active in the space but who can put in participation and (unintelligible).
Thanks.

Bruna Santos: This is Bruna again for the record. Thank you very much for your input on this. This was pretty much done when we appointed Claudio to the position. So Claudio was rather relatively a newcomer to NCSG as well and he was appointed. So while we do value some policy experience, we are also appreciating kind of watching some of our new members how have been deeply engaged in policy at the NCSG level of course.

So this will be taken into account. Doesn't necessarily have to be someone that's a veteran in the community but then if the person is willing to engage and has the time and is willing to do so this will be taken into consideration.
Thank you very much.

Any other comments on the appointments for policy committee? Good.
Moving onto the fifth item in our agenda. I'm just going to do a short comment on the bylaws implementation. We started - NCUC had a new

bylaws approved in 2018, Maryam, if I'm not mistaken, 2017, the new bylaws? '17, right? Yes. And then last year, we did the first election to vice-chair. I was elected vice-chair and then we recently - I recently shared with you guys on the list, the call for vice-chair. This is an internal voting for the EC and Louise was the only candidate. And we had some support. I guess it was from Michael and (unintelligible). We had, like, two supports to Louise's candidacy.

I was just going for us to officialize it and to see if anyone else has anything against this candidacy or if we can make Louise vice-chair of NCUC. So maybe yes?

Michael Karanicolas: This is Michael Karanicolas for the record. I would just like to reiterate my support. Thank you.

Louise Marie Hurel: This is Louise Marie for the record. I'd like to thank Michael Karanicolas for the support.

Ines Hfaiedh: This is Ines. I think she stepped up and you're the only one to step up, so very welcome to the vice chair.

Bruna Santos: So Louise, you're the new NCUC vice chair. So yes. I will probably share this on the list today as well, just so we have the constituency knowing who is the new vice chair and also to clear up some that is (unintelligible) once again an EC vote, we all did this through the list, and the discussion was done both at the list and both at the hearing (unintelligible) officialize it soon.

And I guess David, did you raise your hand? Okay, so we're fine. Wow, we were at, like, our sixth item was a short discussion on resources allocation. So we used our first CROP from the trees for this FY to this meeting. (Unintelligible) is using the CROP for this meeting. She's the NCUC fellow here. So both me, Ines, and (Felipe) who are the two from the DC to this meeting, we developed some guidelines and some activities that (Millie)

should be developing during the meeting, such as following some policy discussions that she would chose, like she chose the subsequent procedures, right.

And she will also help us with Ask NCUC. So we will be doing a new addition of Ask NCUC on Twitter. At some point of the meeting, maybe, I don't recall the day actually. Yes, so we have to define it and we were considering some stickers to do ASK NCUC.

Louise Marie Hurel: Louise here. Robin, Elsa, Hugh, and Rafik.

Bruna Santos: Bruna again. So we were considering Robin, Elsa, and myself, and Rafik to this Ask NCUC. So the idea would be to do a short presentation of what subsequent procedures is and maybe to bring some attention to our membership on the working group. And the reason why we chose subsequent procedures as due to the recent report. So the working group has issued three within an initial report, two on the brother working group report, and one on the Work Track 5. So this is we chose it.

And then we have two more CROP slots to use. So we will probably use one with the next ICANN meeting. So Marrakesh, we will open this call right after Kobe ends, just so we have time to allocate and choose this person. Once again, as CROP has some new regional rules, this would be mostly a resource that will go to the African community. So let's keep an eye for whoever wants to join and whoever wants to attend this meeting.

Go ahead, Ines.

Ines Hfaiedh: This is Ines speaking. So we will two have CROP slots and we will have to use them before the financial year. So we can either use both of them for the ICANN meeting or it can be for another ICANN related activity in the African region. So because I was thinking, because for the ICANN meeting, there are lot of fellowships and also, the majority of fellows are going to be from

Africa. We could use this one for the ICANN meeting and another one maybe for Rights Con. These are the major events that we're having before the end of the FY. So just a suggestion.

Bruna Santos: This is Bruna again. Just to clear up, we don't have to use the two of them for Africa. It's just the one for the ICANN meeting is going to be African community in the African region. And the third one, we can either, like, I don't know, maybe an idea would be to open the call to the membership saying if you have any meetings that you want to attend and do some outreach for NCUC and engagement, we have this last CROP that we could allocate. So we are welcoming proposals on this, just so we can give, like, a better chance.

But it's actually nice because we use this one with Asia, APAC, so that has never been done before I guess. So in the past years we haven't been using CROP for the APAC region. And the second one is going to Africa. So it's a good one. So maybe we can open the third spot as a brother to any upcoming event until June.

Maryam, just one quick question. We have until June to use the third CROP, right?

Maryam Bakoshi: Maryam for the record. We have until June 30. It would have returned by then.

Bruna Santos: So maybe an idea if you get agree will be to write any mail to the membership saying we have this third slot that we can apply to any of the meetings, any ICANN, DNS, internet governance related meetings that would be kind of aligned with NCUC mission and see what comes out of this from the constituency. So if you guys agree, we can rest this point as one other action point for the - yes.

Yes, and then just to, also, just to make a note that for this meeting, we did not have an NCUC fellow that was funded with the constituency resources. We used the CROP one. So we're not taking any money from our funding this time. We're only funding lunch, I guess. Yes, and also the lunch during the at large and NCUC outreach.

Yes, and I guess we can close up this point. And last but not least, we started a discussion on conflict of interest procedures for NCUC leadership positions and I just wanted to maybe, I don't know if we can either start this discussion right now or just bring this back to our minds that we took a compromise of writing this conflict of interest procedures and we actually didn't have time to do it in the past month. So this would be a good one.

And other than that, there has been some discussion and comments about, like, kind of linked with resources allocation but maybe an improvement to our travel policy just to see how could we have whoever of us is traveling to those meetings, whether if it's an EC member or whether we're using the EC slots to someone else, how can we get this person more active and engaged, and kind of make sure that we have a good outcome from the participation that we all are having in this meeting.

So I don't know. I would maybe like to hear back from you guys what we think about either improving our travel policy and also developing this conflict of interest procedures for NCUC.

Louise Marie Hurel: Hi, Louise here for the record. With regards to the travel policy, I think I read it in a different way. I read it more from what we experienced in these past months just to be more clear about what we expect from a person that receives funds from NCUC to go to a particular - either to go to an ICANN meeting or go to any other ICANN related event. So expect that the person just goes back to their original country or just notifies us with some kind of form of specification as to why the person is not going back to their own country or to the country that they departed.

So just being more clear. I'm not sure though if we should write formally something new on that or just advise the person just to act in good faith, just to build this relationship and be more clear about what we expect and how the person should proceed in the process. We don't want the person to actually just write a report and write the sessions that they want, but actually see them engaging in this.

So that is what I interpreted from when you talked about and when we start talking about the travel. And yes, I think that it's. I might come back in a couple minutes.

Bruna Santos: Anyone else?

Ines Hfaiedh: This is Ines. I tend to agree with Louise about not really reinventing the thing. Just maybe in the call for applications we must be more specific, like, for example, if it's a CROP, for example, you depart from an African country and come back to your home country or something closer to your country or something.

Also, one time we had an issue of a fellow who had already - so maybe we should be more specific on the call for applications rather than (unintelligible) the struggle.

Bruna Santos: Just to clear that up, Bruna again, before I give the floor to you, David. Yes, this was a discussion that was brought up with the incident with the past let's say NCSG fellow, though it was someone from NPOC that as funded through DPIR funding. So we opened the call for the Barcelona meeting and this one member, although it's not necessarily a problem, but this one member used the funds to also attend the (ITU) meeting. So it was a bit, first of all, uninformed, and in the end, the fund we had to do the refunding. They were rather different than what was announced and agreed upon. So this is the initial problem with it.

And also, I do agree that maybe writing this down, it's not necessarily needed right now but we could be thinking of ways of enforcing this policy. Because just assuming that good faith from people, term insurance's enough. But then sometimes, the fellows, they do not in fact engage or the person we are expecting to come and attend the meeting not really doing what we've done. And last but not least, I really liked what we are trying to do with (Millie) to have, like, we had a call with her last week and then we stated pretty much clearly everything single task that she wanted and we expected from her. But then again, should we be doing this, it would be like taking the fellows or members by the hand to walk them through the meeting. Or should they be proposing this kind of activities. But this is just some food for thought and I will give the floor to David.

David Cake: And I just wanted to say sort of part of the same thing. I don't think that we should be telling them how to arrange their travel. But at the same time, we need to know that we're not going to end up with having the amount of money that we're committing is reasonably what we might get. So sometimes there are ways that people will even arrange their travel so it's cheaper but we - I think it's more that we need to put a little control - rather than having descriptive rules about it, we just need to put in some control that we go, okay, well, you still need to submit - maybe you need to submit an itinerary that we can check before you go ahead and book it. Sometime like it. It's more of a control than a full (unintelligible).

And again, we should - I mean I don't think we should be necessarily telling what people need to be doing with their time. But we need to have some idea that it's being used for some useful purpose. And if someone comes up with some idea that's really, well, I'd really like to spend my time on this. Oh, we hadn't even thought of that. Well, that's great, particularly that are very - if someone is very concentrated on a specific activity and they've got a lot to do, great. But again, we should have some control to go, what are you

planning to do? Oh, well that looks fine. Or you have no idea. Okay. Well, then we'll give you some suggestions.

Bruna Santos: Just a follow-up. Brunna for the record. It's just that I think that being some NCUC, we still can work as a good way of entrance into this whole community. So I guess we're still in a place that we can allow ourselves to do more capacity building than NCSG at all because it's a broader group. So maybe we're still at this point of bringing on some new people and doing this part of capacity building into things.

But then should we be really engaging in using our resources with NCUC calls, but then with someone that's quite not sure what NCSG is or quite not sure about the policy discussions and anything else. So this is just maybe a call for us to keep a notation on this and whoever - and do, like, maybe to do the follow-up after the meeting as well and check if this person is giving something back and likes to consider that. I'll give the floor to Louise.

Louise Marie Hurel: Louise here for the record. I just think it's a basic question of keeping informed, either in the travel policy, just keep us informed of what are the plans and just have a clear communication relationship with the person that is receiving funding. And I think also with regards to capacity building, I really just think it's just offering the possibility of having support. So we have the call. We want to know more or less what you have in mind but if you don't have something mind, we're here at least to kind of give you the possibility of connecting to someone and creating this kind of space.

Because normally, the people that come to these meetings are people that are relatively new, as you said. So that is very important because I do think that either there's a buddy mentor program. We're always trying to get these things done. But I do think that just making it clear that we are not imposing anything on you, but we really just want to have an idea. And if you need more support, we can provide. So I think that's just clear communication.

Bruna Santos: Brunna again for the record. I totally agree. Maybe to have whoever we selected as someone that's more mission oriented or meeting oriented to say will be way better for us. Ines?

Ines Hfaiedh: This is Ines for the record. This makes me think, sorry, that we really have an issue with not only the call for applications but also that we should have a preset Google form with mandatory information, like exactly how much do you need for the flight, how much do you need exactly for the hotel. Like approximately, let's say, within \$200, like, or something. What is your plan for outreach? What is your plan for this? What is your departure and return city. I think this should be on a Google form so that they are mandatory and we have exactly the information that we want.

Because each time we share the call for applications, we receive different ways of - yes, we different paragraphs. It's not very clear, et cetera, what they are going to do, et cetera. But I think if we have an action item regarding this, it's developing a Google form with mandatory ICANN departure, et cetera, we can work on this. Especially that we have two CROP allocations coming up. So I think we should have this mandatory form that - mandatory point, for example, you have to keep, for example, membership updated on the work of NCUC during the meeting that you are attending, what you are doing, et cetera, tweeting, et cetera.

I think this should be clear in the call for applications so that we don't put a lot of blame on the people that we are funding. But yes, at least they know the rules of the game and then we can tell them, yes, this went well or not.

Bruna Santos: Brunna again for the record. Thank you very much, Ines. I do agree with this. Often, the request for the application for travel comes, as I said, in an email text that sometimes - once again, the variation of price sometimes happens as well, like the ticket flights and stuff. But then sometimes it's related to the time in which the person researched and then actually bought the ticket. And then we have these variations, as we have been understanding them so far.

It's just that we do want to avoid this further abuse or either attempt of, I don't know. Yes, life mistakes to be (unintelligible). Thato, you have the floor.

Thato Mfikwe: Thato Mfikwe. I think in regard to Point 7, conflict of interests, because procedures for NCUC leadership. Is this mean not also applicable with NCUC appointments in order to promote broad participation?

Bruna Santos: So this discussion started last year during Barcelona. Once we had the new EC in place, so we wanted to kind of develop a guideline for us to be in all leadership positions. And I also think it might apply to the appointees as we're kind of considering them part of the leadership position. Louise?

Louise Marie Hurel: Thank you, Brunna. Louise here for the record. I was just wondering because in our forum, once a person enters into NCUC, they have already gone through and their SOI also should state if they have a conflict of interest. So I'm just wondering here if we're just not trying to reinstate - not in the case of leadership because I do think that is a little bit more sensitive. But in terms of receiving at least a member applied for a CROP or a member applies for something to receive funding from NCUC, I don't think we should have another conflict of interest, a person stating again and if they have a conflict of interest.

I do think that is in the SOI and we should remember that. We might even put a footnote but I don't think we should add another layer of complexity to it. Since we already have the people that enter into the NCUC and NCSG have to fill in a form and they have to declare anything and the SOI is kind of like a more low maintenance thing for them to state that or not.

Bruna Santos: Brunna again for the record. And then this discussion only applies to the CROP location in this recent event. We opened the call for NCSG and then what the previous chair wanted was to approve. She wanted someone from (unintelligible) to use the NCUC CROP, which we considered to be problematic since we opened the call for the NCSG funding and not the

NCUC CROP. So this is where it got messy. But then we sorted it out and in the end, the selected member used the NCSG funds and not the NCUC funds.

So it was worked out. I tend to agree with Louise that maybe on the situation of resource and location, it's not necessarily needed. But then it's something we can try to develop in the coming months for all the leadership team. So other than ourselves in the EC, maybe the other committees. But then if we are considering the other committees, we should be developed with NCSG considering that we only bring people into an NCSG (unintelligible). This is maybe a discussion to happen with NCSG.

Maryam?

Maryam Bakoshi: Maryam Bakoshi for the record. We have two comments from Daniel Nanghaka on the chat. The first comment is I think appropriate support should be granted to enable members in participation effectively. And then the second comment. He said, I believe the new person should be taken through an onboarding process to help them understand what happens at ICANN and not only at meetings, but also through online engagement to build capacity and encourage members.

Bruna Santos: Thank you very much, Maryam. This is Bruna. We are very much trying to with Daniel's comments. Something we have been wanting to redo or revise with the NCUC onboarding, NCUC buddy mentor process program. And it's something we discussed and never actually tried to develop. So it's a good reminder. Other than that, we also applied for a new ABR on capacity building for policy process. Sorry, for policy (comment), yes policy writing course.

So we had a policy writing course one year ago in Puerto Rico. Yes, and then as a result of that ABR, we are finishing the development of a course for ICANN Learn. So this is something that will be - this is a resource that will be

available really soon to our membership and any other parts of the community. The onsite engagement course was indeed very interesting for anyone who was there. And we did see some, like, enhanced participation from the course attendees.

And other than that, we also applied for another ABR this year to maybe do a second onsite engagement on the policy writing course. So capacity building and how to better reach newcomers with the rest of the community is indeed something that has been in our minds. Louise, you have the floor.

Louise Marie Hurel: Louise here for the record. Just a comment for Daniel. Feel free - thanks so much for the comment and for being on at this time. I don't know where you're based but I would also add that if you're more interested in policy, we have, as Bruna said, provided many possibilities for empowering our members to engage in policy writing and that has been really successful. People have been feeling more confident. So feel free to reach out. The onboarding documents breaks down ICANN in little pieces and tries to explain how we as NCUC engaged and see our policy, what are our values and our principles.

But I would note also, there's the NCSG's policy webinar every month. It's every month, right? And that is a pretty good overview of what we have been doing and people that are up front over there and what they have been actually advocating for with our values. So that might be good as well. Just wanted to note that.

Bruna Santos: Thanks very much, Louise. This is Bruna again. Yes. In fact, NCUC policy webinar, it's a really good opportunity for our members to at least learn a little bit of what is being done around NCSG and in fact, like, we're all here and having some of these onsite engagements. But then I guess we can also try to do better bridging and maybe try to come at some other members who are interested in some of the policy discussions.

So once again, if anyone else is interested and wants to join, you can write to us and use the EC as bridges to the rest of the community. Thato, you have the floor.

Thato Mfikwe: Thanks. Thato Mfikwe again. I heard you talking about policy development consideration of the next submission of the ABR. But now, I also want us to propose that you also consider a (unintelligible) and analysis because they're fundamental to policy development. Because not everyone is on the same page when it comes to policy development. Thanks.

Bruna Santos: Yes, I agree. This is Bruna again and this is exactly why the policy writing course was so important to everybody who actually attended and I'm really looking forward for us to have the ICANN Learn course actually running. Because it opened a lot of minds. I don't know if anyone else thinks the way I do but it opened a lot of minds and cleared up the process and how you should feel a little more empowered to do the policy comments.

So this was a good opportunity and as soon as we have this course in ICANN Learn, I'll be advertising it to the whole community and say, please take this course. Nadira, you have the floor.

Nadira Alaraj: Thank you, Bruna. This is Nadira from the Nom Com, also I still want to promote a little bit about outreach and I want to encourage many people from the open (unintelligible) to apply also for the different positions. But coming back to the point, which I wanted to ask about the policy course. And you mentioned that there is engagement after this course. Do you have any data, real data on how many who took the course did have contributed to the policy? Because in a way, I'm following your mailing list. I'm not seeing much going on like previous year.

Bruna Santos: Thank you very much, Nadira. So it's kind of like - it's rather difficult for us to measure this engagement because of the NCUC, the policy engagement for us happens at the NCSG level. But when we say we have been measuring

that the resources and how many people have been engaging, it's literally because we have been watching whoever volunteered for public comment in the past month.

So I can say that people like Olga. Olga has been very active and she also has taken the course. And other examples, right (unintelligible) have some numbers. Yes, (unintelligible) Elsa took the course and Elsa is now a GNSO Councilor. So we did - while it's not obvious in terms of statistics, we kind of see the names of - but that's really, like, developing ways of measuring out these results. It's something we have in mind and while applying for the ABRs. It's a question that came up to our minds and then we had to do it.

Louise Marie Hurel: Louise here for the record. That is really on the spot because that was a question we were confronted with during the ABR process, as Bruna was saying. Because we see it very clearly. We see that people feel more secure to put their names and even our way of writing policy comments has changed a bit. Because before it was only one penholder and one person would take the lead. And now, what we see is a lot of people just joining together.

Obviously, we are - as I said, this is something that came up. So we're really trying to see how we can build better metrics. Because obviously, just having the name is not enough. So how do you ensure that you can actually build reliable data on who is actually putting their names, and continuing over there, and how does that link with the people that actually did the policy writing course.

But I do think that for us, we that have been very close to the process, we can see that and name the people that have actually been following the process. But we definitely have to get better on the metrics. Yes, that is something that we're looking at.

Nadira Alaraj: It's Nadira for the record. And it's important because, as Bruna has mentioned, you need especially the continuity of this program and bringing

more. And that's the way you're being able to convince a location of budget for this part of the program.

Louise Marie Hurel: Louise here. During the justification, we're like (unintelligible).

Bruna Santos: We 100% agree with you, Nadira, and it has been a discussion. But as I said, it's one of those metrics that it's really hard or they're complicated to develop. But then so is our members engagement in PDP.

Nadira Alaraj: You can't really - it's been done one year and that's not enough. But this kind of indication, because you need little bit gaining confidence and this is part. So to have a tangible outcome. So at least give those who, like, the participant in that program is the kind of two-year and they ask them to then self-reporting back, and also for you to collect data. Because following them is not easy task, especially they are not also contributing to whatever under the GNSO. But probably, they are contributing in other constituencies and that's part of the training as well.

Bruna Santos: Thank you very much. Ines?

Ines Hfaiedh: This is Ines for the record. Just to bridge Daniel's comment and also this about the policy course. So Daniel is pointing out a very important thing. He's saying that we need an onboarding process. In terms of onboarding, let's be honest, most of us when we want to understand anything about policy, especially the Africa members, we write to Rafik. And Rafik is tired, seriously. Sometimes, okay, if I want to understand anything, we write to Rafik.

Recently, for the Middle East GNSO forum, we had the workshop. It was also animated Rafik and we had, I think, five people selected for the hands on workshop. So this is why I'm thinking why - if Bruna, if you know when we will have the policy course - the ABR on the policy course approved. And if we could have some, like, around four webinars or something mandatory for

the members, especially the new members so that they have at least four webinars during one or two months, so that they understand at least how we make policy, at least.

And then we can try to have a follow-up and maybe they can have also a certificate or something after they finish those webinars. And they have some hands-on activities so that they try to make a little policy, some small comments or something. Because really, you feel even with the best intentions, there is always, always the same question and the same issue of onboarding. How can we make a lot of new members say I don't know what I'm doing here because I'm not contributing to the policy. While GNSO is policy, really. This is what we need to do.

So if we could have a date when the policy course is going to be approved, hopefully approved, let's say, and then we can have something online, like four webinars or in one or two months. And then we can have something that we call onboarding into policy. Thank you.

Bruna Santos: Thank you very much, Ines. This is Bruna again for the record. So just a little explanation. We had - the policy writing course was an FY 18 ABR if I'm not - and then this resulted on the onside engagement and the course we did. And then we also did an FY19 ABR, which was to transform - to do some sort of continuity to the onside engagement (unintelligible) policy writing course. So which in the end resulted on this ICANN learn course.

The ICANN learn course has to be ready by the end of this FY. So we should be having the course by, I don't know, June. We're on the ways of finalizing it. And other than that, we still have one webinar to do on this one. So maybe we can all develop an agenda for this one last policy writing webinar. And this kind of input should be, like, brought and this is something we can develop together.

With regards to the new ABRs, I don't - okay. So Maryam just told us that it's around the end of May so (unintelligible). So 3rd of May. And we should have the results really soon. But even if we don't have this ABR of onsite engagement approved, it's a really good suggestion to maybe have this as our little boarding kit to everybody who joined in (unintelligible). So maybe this class on ICANN Learn and read all this material, the newcomers' corner and everything else. Louise?

Louise Marie Hurel: Louise here for the record. So the idea - the last step of the onboarding program that we had, the onboarding pilot was to transform this into an ICANN Learn course. We actually talked to Betsey at a certain moment, Ayden, and I, and Kathy but that never advanced. And I do think that might be an interesting way, even though nothing replaces like the human aspect of it. But maybe even thinking of how coupling the policy writing with the onboarding. Maybe get the onboarding and actually do this follow-up and transform it into an ICANN learn thing that we can share with newcomers once they get into NCUC.

And then with the policy writing course, maybe re-advise, like if you're going for the policy writing course, please before you do it, or if you're considering doing it, just do this first. I don't know. We can get better in communication. I'm just saying, like, the low hanging fruit of what we already have. Like it's there. The material is there and we can easily transform it into a course if that's the case.

Bruna Santos: Thank you very much, Louise. This is Bruna again. Should we be establishing a steering committee to the ICANN Learn? Because maybe that's an idea. We never actually - not with some, like, maybe two responsible ECs or myself and some others to do the follow-up on ICANN Learn and maybe talk (unintelligible) the courses.

Louise Marie Hurel: Yes, that sounds good. Yes. Maybe that's an action plan.

Bruna Santos: We have Thato in the queue and then Sebastien.

Thato Mfikwe: Thato Mfikwe. Bruna, in regards to onboarding, I know there was this buddy program that was developed and it was very effective in terms of newcomers. So I think we can also still consider this. And then I think also we need to also consider going on a fact finding mission, maybe doing some kind of an outreach with the community to understand what are their limitations or how can they best improve in order for them to start participating. Thanks.

Bruna Santos: Thank you very much, Thato. This is Bruna. Just to answer quickly answer to your point. We have been thinking about the survey, and this is some sort of outreach that we plan to do as EC last year, as of last year, and this is also something that should go back to our mind. And the buddy program, we discussed it in previous constituency days to restart it but then to bring more of a policy approach to it. So maybe to the buddy program/onboarding into PDPs as well. So it's something that's definitely in our mind. So thank you very much.

Sebastien Bachollet: Thank you. Sebastien Bachollet. As I am in the room, I take the opportunity to talk (unintelligible) ALAC member to say that we have the same discussion about creating Learn program for onboarding people. And even if we compete to have the same time of organization of people to join our organization, maybe we can work together on the same type of course and it will be decreasing the cost, the time commitment of us and better solution for the whole organization.

There is a working group currently going on because, as you may know, at large is preparing it at large summit in Montreal at the end of the year, around the ICANN meeting. And some courses must be ready in short period of time now and maybe it's a good time to have this discussion. It's a suggestion and I am happy to put you in contact with the right people. Thank you.

Bruna Santos: Thank you very much. This is a good suggestion. Since we have already been doing the NCUC and at large outreach for so long, we can maybe take some of the discussions and differentiations between NCUC and at large and how can we work together. And maybe this can bring something to the - this (new course). Thanks very much, Sebastien. Do we have anyone else in the queue?

So if there isn't anyone else in the queue, I guess we can adjourn this meeting or any other comment. Do we have any other comments or are we ready to go? Okay. So thank you very much everybody for attending and for all the input and comments here. We are calling - we are joining the NCUC meeting here in Kobe. So thanks for attending.

END