

ICANN
Transcription ICANN Copenhagen
GNSO Not-for-Profit Operational Concerns (NPOC) Constituency Meeting
Tuesday, 14 March 2017 at 9:00 CET

Note: Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

The recording and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page:

<http://gns0.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar>

Martin Silver: Great, good morning everybody. Welcome to the Not-for-profit Operational Concerns Constituency Day. And we have a very long agenda today so let's start with first of all Sam I think this is addressed to you. We'll do a roll call like I'm Martin Silver, Vice Chair of NPOC. I'm as Acting Chair in replacement of Klaus Stoll, the chair of NPOC. And we can go from left. Who do we have here?

Mr. (Olson): Well I Mr. (Olson) from (Dinziman) Association. I'm just curious what's going on here if that's okay.

Martin Silver: Perfect.

Sam Lanfranco: Sam Lanfranco, an POC Member and Treasurer.

Augustina Callegari: I'm Augustina Callegari from Argentina. I am an NPOC member too.

Raoul Plommer: Raoul Plommer from Electronic Frontier Finland also an NPOC member.

Joan Kerr: Joan Kerr, NPOC Membership Chair.

Poncelet Ileleji: I'm Poncelet Ileleji, NPOC Policy Chair.

Martin Silver: And I can see in the room we have Klaus Stole as well, the official chair. I hope Klaus will be happy with my chairing in his name. Okay so the first thing we're going to address is the state of the bank account. I guess that there shouldn't be that many news (sic) but Sam do you want to comment on us like?

Sam Lanfranco: Sam Lanfranco for the record. I'm - my computer's broke so I'm - I don't know how much of this is going to get through. The account has been set up in Canada as a business account. It has no tax complications. They're handled differently in Canada as compared to accounts in Europe. We have - as of now we have no money in the account and we are dealing with transferring whatever funds remain from the account that was in Belgium.

Martin Silver: Is the account fully functional like we don't have to do anything more to for it to receive the money?

Sam Lanfranco: We don't have to do anything more to receive the money. And Belgium has been instructed on how to transfer for it either in US dollars or in Canadian dollars.

Martin Silver: Did way have any update - and this is not a mandatory thing but just curiosity. Do you have any update on the audit that the bank was doing on the account?

Sam Lanfranco: No.

Martin Silver: On the Belgium account?

Sam Lanfranco: No.

Martin Silver: Perfect. Okay second point state of art of the NPOC Web site and just a little bit of background here so we can get it on the record. The Web site has been outdated for some time now basically because of operational reasons. We've been locked out from the domain NPOC.org and from the servers because they're still in the possession of a previous chair and we are trying to manage the transfer.

But in the meantime since we already wasted a year waiting for this I have acquired in the name of NPOC NPOC.NGO that also comes with NPOC.ING. I've released a statement to the executive committee stating that in good faith I bought this in the name of NPOC that I will always transfer or relate it towards whatever NPOC tells me to. I ask the ExCom members here and where else wants to participate to confirm that it has been an agreed decision and not just a personal action.

Poncelet Ileleji: Poncelet for the record. I concur with your decision to do this on behalf of NPOC, second it.

Joan Kerr: I support it, thanks. Joan Kerr for the record.

Martin Silver: Thank you. So that we already have the domain name, the DNS. I think they're still doing the authentication thing that the poly (unintelligible) industry does when you buy the .NGO that that should be coming out any day soon because it's supposed to be for ours and we did it on Monday I think or it was on Friday but weekend doesn't count. So that leads to the new site version there. We have Raoul Plommer and (Harmanin Rolhouse) who will be leading along with NCSG and IANN staff will be leading the new site. Of course we will we'll be collaborating with content and with ideas but they are the

responsible to put this thing functional especially I mean Joan asked for me yesterday to say this. We need this Web site at least a landing page functional to announce the elections that we are going to have on June. So that then...

((Crosstalk))

Martin Silver: ...we are also planning to use as a repository the ICANN wiki of NPOC and the – that's also a little bit outdated so Joan will be working with ICANN staff as well to try to that - keep that updated so we can use it in the Web site. Does anyone else want to add something Raoul or about the NPOC Web site?

Poncelet Ileleji: Okay we've had a - some discussion about some new tools and I think those can also be integrated into our Web site. We're talking Slack and TreIO to be able to better control why - what we're exactly doing and to know what the others are doing. And if we integrate them with the Web site others will be able to see what we're doing as well.

Martin Silver: Joan?

Joan Kerr: Sorry I haven't been let into the room yet. It says it's waiting for the host to arrive so I'm not in the room. But I will also work with (Miriam) so (Miriam) be aware to update the wiki so that it's updated maybe on a weekly basis so that until the Web site is fully functional people can go there to get information as well.

Martin Silver: Perfect. And just to close this matter I am still trying to get NPOC.org back. So ideally we should have in the next months the three domain names all going to the new page with the updated and with the backup of the ICANN wiki. Klaus is typing. Maybe I can wait one second for him to - I have my hand up since seven minutes. Oh, sorry Klaus, go please.

Klaus Stoll: Thank you. Can you hear me?

Martin Silver: Perfect, go.

Klaus Stoll: Okay. I would like to go back to the state of the bank account. What plans are you having because we have several times approached now to and requested a transfer of funds. What are you planning to do or what do you think we should do in order to secure the remaining funds from that? And also in the same context as you just said we need to recover NPOC.org. What steps are we planning to do in that direction? Thank you.

Poncelet Ileleji: The only two things we can do to force both transfers the money and the domain name is to take legal actions. In the case of the domain name obviously will be a dispute resolution. In the case of the money would be the (action) that I understand we have - we talk with ICANN staff and they say that they could help us there. But we are trying to avoid direct legal counsel. We're trying to use a less expensive way of solving this.

But that's we don't have yet a date to say okay this is the trigger but we are getting to the very end of it. I mean we are really close to trigger legal actions on both things. And maybe do you have any ideas I don't know, tell us?

Klaus Stoll: Thank you Martin. But I think in order to be responsible towards membership I think the – these options and the talks with staff and the option you really should be transparent and let the membership know what's going on and what the different options are because this is a very serious matter which affects the complete operations of the constituency. And this should be very, very transparent and it should be made transparent. Thank you.

Poncelet Ileleji: It's as transparent as it gets in terms of that we've been addressing him directly with copy to the servers of the constituency list. So all the approaches to him are public access and are part of the ICANN archive. And the conversations we have with ICANN staff in this particular case are still in

(info). We just made a very small outreach to see if that was even possible. Actually I personally thought that it was impossible that ICANN stuff would have never dared to help us with getting back the money of NPOC. I think it was Poncelet who was very supportive saying like, "No, no we really should ask them." So we formally outreach to them and I don't remember particularly who was it. And I don't necessarily want to say it in - or if someone knows I don't - it was an informal talk yet. But as soon as we have a confirmation that this is the - it is possible we of course we will put it as well in the next probably communicate to (Rudy). We'll tell him if he - these are going to be the options you are leading us out and that will be fully documented. We still don't have a confirmation of anything, not even an official talk as specific in that. And with the UDPR I mean I think we have the expertise in-house to do that. Thank you.

Klaus Stoll: (Unintelligible).

((Crosstalk))

Martin Silver: Raoul please. Wait Klaus. Raoul as their hand up. Go Raoul.

Raoul Plommer: Yes. I think it will probably take a while before we get a formal statement from the ICANN legal so in the meantime I suggest we communicate the situation to (Rudy) already and tell him that look we are prepared to do this. They've told us that there is likely help coming from them to do - to achieve this to actually get our bank account and Web site back. And I think he's simply not priority it but he now needs to do that.

Martin Silver: I agree there's no need to I mean we need to - we need first confirmation but as soon as we have it we can start communicating it. Joan do you want to talk?

Joan Kerr: Sure, thank you. I can't get into the room so I'm still trying to get into the room. Yes I think your approach of writing a letter and stating the options but I

think we need to go a little bit further and stating the options and some dates that we need it by so that he's actually advised of the dates that we're expecting him to deal with it. And that because I think we have to show a due process right? So I think that we need to add the dates for those. Thanks.
Joan for the record.

Martin Silver: Klaus want to have a final comment on this?

Klaus Stoll: No thank you. But I just fully concur with Joan that and I think we really need to have this put into place now.

Martin Silver: I concur. Next item on the agenda is committees. First of all state-of-the-art membership committee what news do we have on there? Any new members? How is we have any (pull) on the database? We have elections coming up and we had the NCSG membership meeting as well.

Joan Kerr: So Joan for the record. All of the above. And so we do have - so to answer your question we do have in NCSG meeting this afternoon at 1:45 I believe it is. We do have one member which I need to send out a welcome which I will do later today. Regarding the database we've been - Sam also was - is on that committee. The database for NCSG we're coordinating all the application process and it has some technical glitches so we've been addressing them. And hopefully we'll have it operational for Johannesburg so that we don't have to have two separate application process. So that's on the move.

The next thing that's coming up for membership is the elections. And some of the requirements I did send a document to everyone for dates, stating the dates. We do have to post the notice of election 60 days before the actual election. And it must be on, as I said before on the Web site. It is required to be on the Web site. So the landing page would be very helpful to have that. And then what we will do is link it to the wiki page with information. So that's an easy way of dealing with that but as long as it's on the landing page I think we'll address - we'll address the issue that we have to do.

So all the positions are up for elections because it's not – we don't have any staggered terms and Mary and I will do the updates of all of the members because we're required to do that twice a year so we – I usually do that just before the election to make sure that those of the representatives, that everybody's still on board and that it is an actual validated and verified list. So I will do that in early April.

I sort of put a date out but it would probably start around after the 8th of April. It's a bit early but it's people take a long time to answer so I think the earlier we start the better so that we can get the notice of election in the due time. So that's the biggest thing that's coming up right now.

But I think it's really good if we start to send it out there that it is forthcoming so that people are aware that it is coming. So before we actually put up the official notice which is we don't have to do that before 60 days. So that's my report. Thanks.

Martin Silver: Thank you Joan. Poncelet please go.

Poncelet Ileleji: Poncelet speaking for the record. I just want to confirm that the NCSG database is up and running and the bugs have been fixed. I just tested it. I just wanted to confirm that, yes.

Martin Silver: I think this is maybe a good opportunity to talk about the on boarding program that we have been developing with Augustina. (August) maybe you want to have a word or two on this? We are going to try to address the onboarding issues from the membership committee perspective. That's why I think this might be the appropriate time to talk about this.

The stakeholder journey from members they get into ICANN and they have to get into NPOC and they have to get involved in policy. How can we address

it? That's the on boarding basic idea. But Augustina can tell us more about what is involved and what we have done and what are the next steps?

Augustina Callegari: Augustina for the record. As Martin said we are part of the onboarding program which is a pilot program in which the different constituency members and supporting organizations and advisory committee are working inside each community to develop material, communication materials to help each constituency needs. So the first thing we did when Martin was identifying NPOCs needs there we realized that the thing that we need to address is that members, new members need to be more involved in policymaking. So first of all this - the thing that is related to membership issues is that we start develop developing a welcoming letter for newcomers.

So after they finish the process of becoming a NPOC member they will receive a short letter in which we explain what is NPOC, what is its mission and how they can get involved. So after that we invite them to read the toolkit in which we address different issues related to the constituency from what NPOC stand for to how to make a public comment or how to get involved in a working group. So now we are working on the second draft and our next step is with - is sharing with the members of the ExCom at least or and with other members to receive comments on what thing we should add or we think we need to improve. And then in the second stage we are planning to make the toolkit and the letter more visually appealing so if not we don't want to be this very long and not nice document to read. We want to make things easier for newcomers to get involved. So I think we have to take advantage of this program because I think that it's going to help ask a lot to help new members to get more involved so yes (unintelligible).

Martin Silver: Yes it's important to know that this program is community led. That means that Augustina...

Augustina Callegari: Yes.

Martin Silver: ...have been working coordinated with other stakeholders to share the stakeholder journeys in each one of them and we came up with this. But it is up to NPOC to decide eventually if we want it, how we want it. Maybe we just as a group decided that the toolkit is not good. Okay I mean we decided the toolkit needs these other things that it doesn't have or that the design has to be this way or that way. And then so I think we have a very good opportunity or at least we've been working for a year on this and it - I think it deserves a serious review because it has a good base in my opinion to work with.

And the other thing is we used to talked before about the ambassador program in NPOC which was this idea to create some sort of mentorship program that would allow people to get introduced into the working groups, the VPs, the public comments but as well to create the sense of community and the sense this is not your - maybe you're not - didn't know but by being an ambassador you can take ICANN back to your place. You can try to gather other NGOs and become representative of other NGOs. You have an ambassador that could address the problem of NGOs not having enough resources to participate directly into ICANN. Maybe an NGO that has the resources that is interested into getting this year as an ambassador can try to outreach and represent many other NGOs so to create sort of that dynamic. I think that's what the ambassador was appealing as the name although we I think we haven't asked o them to maybe use it because we - there are other ambassador programs going around and it may be confusing.

I - we've also have been working Augustina in this sort of let's call it just in a more general way mentorship NPOC program. We can assign the name for that later. And the basic proposal would be to have one Webinar, a policy update Webinar for newcomers where we just get together and we talk about the difference news, different working groups that we are working in and that we think of that people should be working in. We can even introduce one like for instance imagine we are – we wanted to address the RDS Working Group or it would be a nice opportunity to talk about the RDS Working Group. And if some of us is already (bother) it can share their experience, their views and

then and it will be very useful also for newcomers who could speak - could have a direct contact with the leadership. If for some reason the Webinar is just not being attended it will be us coordinated policy work. If we have newcomers it would be a good way to get them in touch with leadership. We believe that membership is again here the coordinator of the mentorship program they should match leaders with mentees, or possible mentees regarding their profession, their region, their interest, their just (availability) of time, et cetera, et cetera.

We could use the coaching guide that the solution has for the mentorship relationship is actually a very nice document with very basic rules that tries to level a little bit what mentorship means for the mentor specifically who is going to lead the relationship and some basic rules for the mentee itself to - for instance the idea for - of the mentorship is that the mentee has to show some sort of impulse. You know, the mentor will always guide but it cannot drag along the mentee. It is a - it's a very dynamic thing of touching and go touching and go, touching and go so I think we could do something like that when we get the program running. I see that Klaus has his hand up. Klaus you have the floor.

Klaus Stoll: Thank you, Klaus for the record. Martin you just said in the context of the ambassador program it's for NGOs basically who are unable to participate and for financial reasons and like that. I would like to remind us that this is not certain of NPOC. The concern of NPOC is operational concerns which means that we have to look at what are the problems of NGOs using as the DNS tools to their fullest advantage. And that brings me to the point where we have to talk about relevance.

It's not about and staff and ICANN and the interests of NPOC are slightly different in the sense that ICANN wants icann.org wants people to participate in ICANN and in the policymaking processes. But it's our first intent is to - is the operational concerns and to translate that to operational concerns into policies. So we need to be absolutely clear about it because otherwise we are

producing materials and we are producing an outreach which is basically not inside the remit of NPOC as a constituency and even more important it's not in the interest of the organizations we are representing. And so what we are representing and what we are standing for is operational concerns. Thank you.

Martin Silver: And Klaus I think you - I agree with you. I think you are mistaken about what the onboarding program is. First of all the outreach initiative they are in the charts and they are part of the membership chair but besides that the onboarding is not an outreach program. It's an absolutely in-house activity. This is about the leaders of NPOC trying to guide members of NPOC to – and this has nothing to do with icann.org, not staff in general. I mean this has got a content developed by the NPOC because I was in and I develop it. And it's going to be reviewed, implemented and sustained by NPOC, especially a membership chair.

So I agree with you. I have nothing - I just want to clarify the onboarding problem is absolutely 100% in agreement with what you said. And just a quick note we have Joan now talking and thank you Tapani NCSG chair for joining us. Joan go.

Joan Kerr: It's Joan for the record. The - obviously our ultimate goal is the – to address operational concerns. But the ambassador program especially building on the onboarding and the stakeholder journey helps us to work with ICANN for one thing. But it's more like if we can look at it more like building relationships in order for people to get involved because people just don't get involved because you say oh, this is what we represent. They get involved because they're educated, they see that there is value to it and they get involved. So it's more about building relationships and assisting people to operate within the whole ecosystem. So that's how I see the ambassador program.

Martin Silver: I would add that so Joan Augustina, Raoul and myself are examples of this. We are here thanks to the special relationship we managed to achieve with

leadership. So I think that that's a key issue in the onboarding thing. And Sam you have floor.

Sam Lanfranco: Yes. My Adobe Connect is – I'm on the phone but it's not working very well. Yes I've said this over and over again and I'll just say it very briefly now. And I circulated it to the ExCom on email earlier today. And that's that ICANN - that NPOC has to walk on two legs here. The one is that it has to represent the interests and concerns of our constituency in ICANN's Internet governance policymaking, yes. And we have to bring people in to work on that with us as members. But the second thing we need to do is we have to increase the awareness and engagement of our constituency in these issues well beyond ICANN. They have to understand that there are risks and benefits of being engaged in the Internet governance policymaking. And that - and we have to recognize that unlike many of the other participants in policymaking inside ICANN policymaking around the DNS is not the primary interest of our constituency. It's an important consideration in how they do what they do.

So we have to have both the outreach to bring people into engage in ICANN policymaking but we also have that educational role that we cannot escape unless we can find somebody else who will do it for us and that's highly unlikely. If not we're left with basically a – we're fishing a fishing pole with a hook that's got no bait on it.

Martin Silver: That's a fair enough common. Someone wants to follow that? Joan you have the floor.

Joan Kerr: I don't think there's any disagreement here Sam. I think what I see the Ambassador program as is what we've done in the last six years we need to rework. And part of the reworking is building a relationship out into the not-for-profit community and to educate them. And one way is because ICANN as a whole and I know that you say that we should be out there and doing other than ICANN's work meaning that we educate people but our first approach has to be that ICANN ecosystem and we with the work that has been done in

the last year with not just with ICANN but with - it was with all the stakeholder groups right Augustina? Yes.

Augustina Callegari: But we only share opinions...

Joan Kerr: Right.

Augustina Callegari: ...but we are not building our content regarding their opinion so it's only changing ideas.

Joan Kerr: Right so the reason I asked is because it gives us a chance to start from square one where everyone is having this journey and track our story is all I'm saying. And that's a great way to start is to start to tell our story and build relationships. So I just want to say that that's only thing I want to say is that we – we're not disregarding what we're supposed to do. We're just maybe enhancing it if that makes sense.

Martin Silver: (Tom) you have the floor.

(Tom): Just a quick reply. I don't understand where the word disagreement came from and I'm sorry that you didn't understand what I had said.

Martin Silver: Okay. Tapani we have your presence and if you have anything to say before we move to another point you can address your own point here. Do you have anything you want to address to us?

Tapani Tarvainen: Thank you Martin. This is Tapani speaking. I at this point I'm happy just to listen and maybe it will be later on.

Martin Silver: Please, thank you and we are very happy to have you here. Okay the next point is the policy committee. And I would like to especially address a policy strategy for NPOC. We've been talking about this over the last month. Maybe

we can Poncelet can kick off the ball since he's the policy chair and we can all maybe build around what we have been talking about.

Poncelet Ileleji: Good morning, Poncelet speaking for the record. And before I get into this well I just want to welcome (Vanetos) from (Isima), one of our members from Nigeria. So you can just quickly introduce yourself before I start (Vanetos) please.

(Vanetos Oquararah): Good morning all. My name is (Vanetos Oquararah), (unintelligible) rights. Thank you.

Poncelet Ileleji: So (Vanetos) is one of our earlier members from Africa. Okay in terms of policy we have been having informal discussions among NPOC executives and then one of those yesterday in which I explained my plans. First was to get an update on which PDP process and which NPOC members were involved in like within our policy development processes because it's I thought it would be necessary for each and every one of us to know which particular working groups we are in, like I in particular I know my working group but will also be better, we all know which working groups we are in and we are contributing in in what we are (unintelligible) between the - an overall policy development processes of ICANN within the working groups.

The second thing was also in - and to create a spreadsheet put in those working groups and also an area whereby we are going to put in and public comments which areas, which aspects of public comment it will be necessary for NPOC members to contribute to make their opinion known because they have some public comments maybe the minority interests but there are some public comments and for NPOC it's very important that we make our minds up.

And also within the overall policy development and with support which Martin, our acting chair said he was going to assist me in is creating a model whereby we are going to put in particular working group that will be of interest

to NPOC members, you know, like that we feel that they should follow and they should follow the process. So in a nutshell I will just ask people to ask questions before I move on. Thank you.

Martin Silver: Thank you Poncelet. This is Martin Silver speaking. I will just read what Poncelet brought in the chat because I think it's (Roland). He said ICANN has clear up-to-date records Whois engaged in working groups and the amount - and the percentage of attendance that it has you just have to ask for it. I know that. I think it is useful for us to do both things to construct - to contrast the data of ICANN with the data that we can gather. It could even be possible that we have members or even between our own self we believe maybe we are inside a working group because we're in a email list and maybe that position is not what we thought. Maybe (sign of) server and we thought we were voting and we were voting and we have voting rights and we are not exercising it. So I think that it's important that we have the reality of the ICANN that we can check and we - what we actually think we are doing. And it would also we already are starting to address or - because they coordinate the main working groups. We've already started to propose people would - that will leave certain working groups at least as a first start. And Sam you have the floor.

Sam Lanfranco: Thank you Martin. Sam for the record, two points. I my second point was going to be to endorse what Martin has just said that we ask ICANN for their metrics on this. They have a kind of KPI approach to this and they have numbers. And it would be useful for us to see them.

The other one is that I would like to point out that in terms of those metrics and our deliverables NPOC as is a constituency and the individual members of the executive committee have to deliver substantially between now and Johannesburg period, have to deliver substantially.

Martin Silver: And I fully agree Sam. This is Martin speaking. Regarding this I can say at least for myself if anyone else wants to clear it up I'm going to be leaving any

workplace, the Right Protection Mechanism Working Group. I'm also going to be doing that in the NCSG. I'm going to be part of a group leading the conversations in that work. And I know there other people inside NPOC that as well have been doing the research in getting to this leading PDP works in the noncommercial place.

And I don't know if anyone has anything to add towards this. Klaus you have the floor. You have the (unintelligible).

Klaus Stoll: Hello. Okay can you hear me again, Klaus? Klaus speaking for the record. It's all well to say we need to participate in more working groups and in policymaking. But each policymaking has to be based on something. And we are actually fortunate in NPOCs that we have a clear mission and vision statement and everything in the base document.

And I think before we go out and ask people to participate in policymaking we should reach out and say this is what we are standing for? This is what our policy base is and this is why it's important for you to engage because we really need to be careful and this is not just about individuals representing them self in a working group. It's all about operational concerns in the context of ICANN and to DNS. And there is I think as I said we have a big chance and there's not - there is no work involved. It's more about the attitude. Before we go out and say to people please participate in the working groups we have to tell them why then how and then they will. Thank you.

Martin Silver: And fully agree. I think this is just that you will mention (virtually) the second step here. And the first step is trying to understand at least from that perspective to that it's already clear to get ourselves together and say okay these are the working groups we from this perspective identify are relevant for NPOC and these are the policy - I mean we proposed our priorities for NPOC.

So when we try to reach them with your approach we can also try to be very useful in saying okay this is not only general interest that we are looking for you to join. This is also the place that we think we it will have a major impact or a specifically relevant impact. We can also provide the links. We can provide even leadership. We can to the people that tell us like yes I want to be part of this PDP or this public comment but I don't know enough, I've never participated or I went there once and I was confused. We can try to reach out to the Non-Commercial Stakeholder Group and find the appropriate leadership for that person to do the NPOC view, the NPOC interests. But I fully agree what you just said it's absolutely complementary with the general idea. Raoul you have your hand up?

Raoul Plommer: Just relating to the policy committee agenda. I've sort of promised to become (Stephanie)'s mentee in the area of the RDS. So hopefully I will have time. Well not hopefully, I will have time for that after the Finish elections in the 9th of April. So it should give me a few months to prepare for the next meeting on the area of the RDS.

Martin Silver: Thank you very much for that. Yes absolutely no rush. We don't want anyone to go and then jump into the pool. But Tapani go.

Tapani Tarvainen: Thank you, Tapani speaking. First I want to say I very much agree with Klaus that you should start with why. Clear clarity of mission is the thing that attracts people in. And second I also would very much like to encourage all kind of cooperation inside the entire NCSG, whenever NPOC and NCSG have common interests work together. And they have relative common interests. Thank you.

Martin Silver: The idea of all this work is to try to work as closely with NCUC and NCSG to yes use the synergies, use the common grounds, use the experienced. We are the newest constituency and we have to use all that experience and knowledge the chairs are interest around. So yes I think we are - our plans is to promote that alliance the most we can because we realize that the

opposite interest is on the other side of the road and not here. Poncelet you have your hand up?

Poncelet Ileleji: Yes thank you. I just want to welcome the what Tapani said in regard to working together within the NCSG especially within the policy development process because it's a fact that we have a lot of NCUC members that are very vast in policy. And I like what Raoul said about being a mentee for (Stephanie). And this is I think personally for new members coming up I think that this is something to we might start looking at within operational concerns as Klaus rightly mentioned. Thank you.

Martin Silver: Perfect. Anyone else want to comment on this? I think Klaus maybe wants to say something?

Klaus Stoll: Thank you. I just made the comment in the chat. It's quite simply that we seem to make a huge mistake in all of our discussions often. It's quite simply we start everything from ICANN and from the ICANN system and then try to translate it into the not-for-profit sectors. And operational concerns was it is exactly the other way around. We have to start with the operational concerns of the not-for-profits and then translate that into ICANN. And this brings me back again also to the point of relevance. That's ICANN is not relevant to anybody at the moment in not-for-profit and operational concern.

The question for us is to make ICANN relevant first. And this we can only do that based on the DNS and on the operational concerns. And this is especially in the context -- and I don't want to go there now in detail -- in the context of the empowered community. We have to be absolutely clear in how we talk and how we philosophically approach this and how we present that. Otherwise we are literally walking on the wrong foot or as Sam says well yes we might have two feet but they don't correspond actually with the direction of the body. Thank you.

Martin Silver: It may be the case. And we're just trying here. But I agree with most of what you said. And anyone else wants to add something? I mean but to make it (basically) we are trying to build a policy strategy to and try to match it with onboarding things like we were talking about to create the leadership, to create these coordinated work to try to engage outside of NPOC other people open negotiations, open alliances and to – we have very few resources inside NPOC.

We are just really trying to use them as much as we can and to just bring the basic enough so we can really start off a strategy that has the chances to work. And we are open to any opinion, any discussion. This is not a set thing or anything like that. It's just I think a common ground intention that we've been developing. But Raoul do you have your hand up and Joan then?

Raoul Plommer: Well just a note. And I think the RDS is very NPOC relevant policy area. So that's part of the reason why I took that up. Not only it's relevant to my interests but it's also NPOC interests.

Joan Kerr: So if we're talking about mentors I've asked Ed Morris to be my mentor to get an overview of everything. So I thought that was – and he agreed so that's the first thing. But I wanted to get back to the policy.

I think maybe for the letter when we – and we have to work on it. What we do is put in the letter the - and we should prioritize and I agree that we should have a priority of focuses for NPOC. Otherwise we're just going to be running around and not doing a good job right? And I know you're supposed to focus on everything. But may be in the letter we can point out or ask the new members what they specifically are interested in and have it - have them say it so that when, you know, we can sort of make it a little bit more personal when we communicate with them especially some of the tools that we're having, the communication tools so that they know when the updates for those and things like that so we start to make it personal as much as generic.

And that can be done in TreO I think right? So anyway can we do that in the welcoming letter?

Augustina Callegari: Yes for sure. We were thinking about doing that. In fact we are start - starting working in a questionnaire so when a new member comes to NPOC we are going to ask of them about their interest in it, what they do and so we can focus a little bit more on - and take into account what we were saying before.

We have this policy issues in our toolkit but it's the second part. The first part is explaining why operational concerns are important. And the first part that is the mission so we have both things. Maybe we have to improve a little bit the first part but it is there.

Joan Kerr: Yes.

Martin Silver: Thank you very much. I will just quickly add to that that that's what we are doing now when we are building this policy leadership team that will take specific issues. I'm thinking the (RPM) because I like it and sort of decent that the work is really I mean that's - I've been doing that for at least the last four years or five. Even before ICANN I was involved with ICANN directly in the community. I was in that outside. So that I think that's already kind of the approach we maybe unconsciously choose. Klaus had their hands first then (Esponza) then Joan back again.

Klaus Stoll: Yes.

Martin Silver: Klaus? No Klaus is first, sorry. Klaus you have the floor.

Klaus Stoll: No I put the hand down.

Martin Silver: Sorry. Poncelet to you.

Poncelet Ileleji: Poncelet speaking for the record. Someone just walked in. It would be good if you can just introduce yourself since you just joined the NPOC session.

Martin Silver: Yes present yourself. Go to the mic please.

(Mayara): Hi. My name's (Mayara). I'm from America and I'm a student just here at the conference. Thank you.

Martin Silver: We were just talking about finding out the newcomers interests. What are your interests specifically in this DNS role? What do you feel – are you a lawyer? Are you a technical...

(Mayara): I'm a political science student so I'm interested in law and nonprofits specifically so...

Martin Silver: Well welcome. Okay so do you have any other comments you want to address about the policy committee strategy we're developing for Johannesburg? Good let's move on then.

Poncelet Ileleji: I think...

Martin Silver: Poncelet?

Poncelet Ileleji: Poncelet for the record. I think as we plan towards ICANN 59 in Johannesburg within our policy framework we should also part of what I want to be doing and with support from the membership is also looking at key policy issues in regards to operational concerns that would be discussed when we have an outreach station in Johannesburg. I just thought I should mention that. Thank you.

Martin Silver: I want to play back that Poncelet do you think we could try to draft even not now but in the next weeks deadlines for getting, you know, milestones in the

strategy plan like we are doing with the Webpage so like we can track ourselves, you know, like...

Poncelet Ileleji: Yes thank you. Poncelet again for the record. We in our informal discussion yesterday I have already given myself a deadline of next Friday (other) Friday. So by (other) Friday you'll be getting documents on what I'm talking about. Thank you.

Martin Silver: It's okay. That is sooner than I expected. I like in fact we (5125) try to put the lines to (desks). Okay so let's move on. Our communication chair is - I think he's not online yet.

Joan Kerr: It's too early.

Martin Silver: It's too early back in Columbia probably. But...

Joan Kerr: (Unintelligible).

Martin Silver: Joan can say - please do. She's been working a lot with (Juan) lately. Please Joan?

Joan Kerr: It's Joan for the record for (Juan). I'm not speaking on his behalf but I just want to congratulate him on the excellent job he did for the flyer and for just getting involved and participating. And I think that we've deciphered our roles that he communicated to the members and it's a really great working relationship at the moment. So I just wanted to say that.

Martin Silver: Anyway I think I could go deeper in that comment and saying like we're really trying to be as functional and a health dynamic working workgroup. And that means that communication is going to be with the preparation of communication. But it's not going to deal with memberships, not going to specifically develop maybe policy comment – content. He will be assisted by the other for that. And I think (Juan) has been show that when we put him in

that very defined role he did deliver to the last months. So I agree. I hope (Juan) I guess will read the transcript later. I think he was also supposed to walk around the NPOC Twitter and the Facebook account. Do anyone have any news on that Raoul please?

Raoul Plommer: I don't have any news per se but I could do the same for the NPOC twitter and Facebook account as I suggested to do for the NCUC. It's pretty quickly done and basically what I'm suggesting is linking the Facebook account to Twitter with IFTT and then just have automatically link to the Facebook post which can be longer and more descriptive. But that would save us some time and being in two places at - all the time. And I mean that of course doesn't prevent us from adding important stuff to Twitter when we want to.

Martin Silver: Joan you wanted to comment?

Joan Kerr: Yes, sorry it's Joan for the record. I just want to say that it's great that we're going to be integrating. But I think that also NPOC as an ExCom should be aware that we should have for all of the accounts to - should have at least two administrators for each account so that we don't lose sight of that so we don't get into these problems again.

Martin Silver: Of course. We can think several ways of securing this. But it's good to know that we're going to address that with Raoul. I think it's great and it will really save time because that's the one thing we we're lacking of.

This Number 5, the preparation for the constituency review. We've been asked by the NCSG for their formal charter. Maybe Tapani wants to explain a little bit about it. But we've been asked to complete a questionnaire which basically is about NPOC development and NPOC activities. They're membership-based. And as I understand it's about health. It's about the health indicators of the constituency whether what things can be improved or it must be improved in order for it to be function inside the noncommercial house that we will have. Tapani you want to comment on a few things so we

can all understand what this questionnaire is about and the consequences of it?

Tapani Tarvainen: Thank you. Tapani speaking. The constituency review is something that's mandated by the charter of NCSG. And it's basically checking regularly that the constituencies still fulfill the requirements for constituency. But in practical terms this is actually the first time it's happened even though it should happen every two years. Practical terms the intent is to document the state of constituency at this point and give you sort of pointers which way you should be improving where you are perhaps a little low regarding the standards. I don't see any likelihood at this point that we would recommend any changes to constituency status for existing constituencies although as kind of part of this process we terminated the consumer's constituency which never advanced past candidate state. But that would be in the long term one functional this review of this. We had some constituency that basically ceases to function then this would be the mechanism of removing it.

Martin Silver: Yes. I believe this also has to do with the next point we have on our agenda which is a NPOC charter review. Both reviews are absolutely complementary. And being forced to answer these questions will really help us in the way of our own charter how modifying some changes can lead to that.

Right now we are waiting for the staff that is helping us to write the charter to have the latest version so we can comment on it again. I think and Klaus maybe can correct me if I'm wrong, we were supposed to have it on the end of March. So we're not going to see it during this meeting. As soon as we have the next charter draft we're going to put it I say again outside and we're going to have - start with the internal outreach of the constituency so we can have some feedback and see how to move forward with it.

(Benita) is on her way to discuss the charter review. Maybe she has news. We wait for her. In the meantime - well Number 7 and...

((Crosstalk))

Klaus Stoll: (Unintelligible).

Martin Silver: ...we called for outreach. Oh Klaus sorry I knew - I didn't see your hand right now. Go.

Klaus Stoll: Thank you. The charter review as you know and I've forwarded all these things to Ken Bour and to the executive committee. Ken has indicated that towards the middle to the end of the week he will come up with the second draft. And the following procedure is that we will discuss that second draft internally and then we will forward it to staff for staff comments. And after the staff comments it will go to public comments.

I must say personally that I'm extremely excited about the charter review document because it really goes into a lot of clarification for example about membership, about eligibility, about funding and things like that. And I must say that I was a little bit surprised to have at the outreach event questions discussed about the funding and membership fees because this is exactly which is on the record we discussed in the meeting during the intersessional. And as you might have seen on the documents this is what I also forwarded as to Ken Bour what's supposed to be in the new charter. So I think we should avoid discovering things and changing or looking at things whilst we are in process. The point to discuss this again and to make suggestion for changes or to bring in new expertise is basically where the new charter is and I think just for to make our lives a little bit easier and to make it clear.

I think that again I think this charter as it looks like and this what it's becoming is an absolute milestone and it's something NPOC will be extremely proud of and will actually help us to operate as a constituency ten times better. Thank you.

Martin Silver: Thank you Klaus. I agree. And 'm very excited about the charter myself. And then we all - I think we're all looking forward to (unintelligible) when it come back again. And yes we have to wait for the due process. We agreed to move on. (Benedetta) just entered. Maybe you want to add something?

(Miriam) said that maybe you wanted to add something about the charter? You don't have to. She just informed me that you were coming here like if you want to say something, you need to say something if you're sure. If not we can move on.

(Benedetta): I don't actually have anything to add. I wanted to be here because I will be supporting the charter review process. So if you guys have any questions about the actual review process I'm more than happy to answer them.

Martin Silver: Myself I have so many questions but I think we are going to wait at least I'm going to wait for the draft so I can make a question that I can relate to the text and then get - for me it's going to be much easier to track down from the text and move from there. I don't know if someone else has something to ask about?

Klaus Stoll: Martin if you don't mind.

Martin Silver: Please.

Klaus Stoll: I - one thing I want - forgot to say is one of the reasons why Ken is taking a little bit longer is that we made absolutely 100% sure that the new charter is complete compliance in the concurrence with the NCUC charter, the NCSG charter and the ICANN bylaws. So this is one of the things which I think is absolutely important for us. We didn't - the new charter will be something where specific attention has been put on and an emphasis on that it is completely in compliance with the other related charters. And I think that's important and that we also should keep in mind when we are looking at the new charter. Thank you.

Martin Silver: Thanks Klaus. We are moving to the next item on the agenda the MRU model for outreach. As many of you know NPOC has been doing outreach for the last several years and since it is in our charter to do outreach it's not direct work or responsibility of us. And definitely the - we don't have the funds. We don't - we are not - we don't have finance to do outreach outside from the programs that ICANN can give us some time to time. And the - we try to partnership occasionally with other NGOs to achieve a better regional penetration, (center) penetration and to share resources and synergies and to gather people we would be able to gather in these outreach events.

So the proposal was to make these corporations as transparent and accountable as possible especially because NPOC's name is usually related to these outreach events and which is why we need to be very, very straight, very clear, very accountable with who, with what, what are the rights that are being exchanged and that in most of the cases establish good faith and I think that's what people can really understand what's that partnership about and what's not about. Sam please you have the floor.

Sam Lanfranco: Yes, just two quick comments right? The first one is the most important one is - and that is that outreach on the part of NPOC to its particular constituency will always require collaboration with somebody else period -- always. There's no way we can do it going into an area and just putting up a sign. If we put up a sign saying were Google or a soft drink company or an entertainment company people will come. We put up a sign saying NPOC we have to have a collaborator A. B, I agree with you the nature of the collaboration has to be explicit and transparent in advance to reduce misunderstandings and confusion. But we do need the collaborator in every instant.

Martin Silver: I absolutely agree. I think it would - if especially if it's an event that's outside the ICANN meeting even if it's inside ICANN I think there are some good reasons to do the partnership but especially if it's outside. It also has to do with the idea of the networking. We just don't have the networking - a network

everywhere so we need to use others organizations network to address our constituency. Sam again the floor and then Poncelet.

Sam Lanfranco: Just a quick follow up on that. I'll disagree with you violently even...

Martin Silver: On what?

Sam Lanfranco: ...inside a ICANN meeting we need that outside collaborator because we do not want our friends to come and hear our story one more time.

Martin Silver: I correct myself. I give you the whole point. Poncelet?

Poncelet Ileleji: Yes Poncelet for the record. I think especially when it comes to events that are not within ICANN three meetings yearly I - NPOC should be involved more in collaboration. And a good example was at the Internet Freedom Festival which was an NCUC organized and informal events there.

And they knew who and who was coming and I got involved in that program. And given in which they called it a joint NCSG program whereby David Cake from NCUC moderated. And I had the opportunity to talk to different and committee members who were attending the Internet Freedom Festival.

So I think a lot of such things will be happening. What are the side events at Internet governance forum? I think they should be most synergy between us and NCUC in that because at the end of the day we all would share and common grounds. So I said I should mention that. Thank you.

Martin Silver: Yes Sam. Well Klaus has raised your hand first. First Klaus than Sam. Klaus you have the floor.

Klaus Stoll: Thank you very much. I think what Poncelet just said I'm fully in agreement. But have a look at the what it says, model of outreach. And we are talking automatically about events. I think we are learning from what we are doing at

the moment that events, looking at events is actually not very effective. We have to combine the events with actually other media of outreach in other ways to promote operational concerns. So what I'm thinking for about for example is that we are going into events for example with practical examples that we are asking people who have practical examples of operational concerns or addressing practical operation concerns to demonstrate their issues and then translate for example these issues in the Web pages or approaches or whatever.

I think what we really need to look at is not just events but a whole strategy or model for outreach which combines a lot of other things. I'm including using the media including video and whatever. So I think that is something we really need to discuss and will be able to discuss by the way on a much broader and better basis with the charter review. I only would encourage NPOC to think about beyond events and yes that's my comment on that point. Thank you.

Martin Silver: Thank you very much Klaus for that. Does anyone else say anything else? But as Sam was after Klaus. Sam go.

Sam Lanfranco: Sam for the record. Yes I agree with that completely and we really have to brainstorm beyond events things that can be taken away and reviewed and run by others. We have to produce usable content.

Martin Silver: Okay we also have the NPOC outreach plans 2017, '18. I think here we are still very green. I don't think we already have drafted out or, you know, listed a formal but maybe some of you already have some thoughts on this made possible was the one they proposed specifically at this point in the agenda. So do you want to address it?

Poncelet Ileleji: Yes and Poncelet for the record. Yes I was thinking like based on how experiences from what happened in Dakar last year since it was - I mean it was an event planned last year but happened in late January in 2017 that we

should have just - I would just pick up from what Klaus said. We should have out - and more concise outreach plans for and moving ahead in from 2017 onwards. And that concise outreach plans like he give an example of like using video for example, you know, things we now know that within the budget attending the finance and committee meeting of NCSG yesterday that from communications we can get ICANN to do some certain things for us. So it's possible that we can also have maybe a small YouTube presentation of what we do.

And as we look into Johannesburg I think based on what happened in our ICANN for - as we look into ICANN 59 based on what happened with our on-site event here in terms of planning and getting the exact thing we wanted achieved we should start planning for it now. We should start planning for whether the EuroDIG that's coming up. We also have the IGF and the Asian-Pacific. So we should look at events we can do a certain form of outreach in up to Abu Dhabi ICANN 60. Thank you.

Martin Silver: Thank you very much Poncelet. I agree I would also add Klaus and I will give you the floor, Sam has a disagree button. That's old or is it's from now?

Sam Lanfranco: Have a what?

Martin Silver: You have a disagree button in the Adobe Connect that you disagree with what Klaus has said. If that's not intentional, okay. I just I would just add before giving the floor to Klaus -- this is Martin speaking -- that I would propose for this outreach plan specifically for - to - from 2017 to be humble. Like let's try to build from a very robust base and a very humble expectation. And then that goes for the material, that goes for the attendance expectations, that goes for the results.

I prefer we go from very little to I probably say more big outreach. And then I think that will make simple as well the general organization of this. So we

waste less time on this and more time on the policy stuff. Klaus you have the floor.

Klaus Stoll: Yes. I just would like to remember to remind everybody that we have a document which is called NPOC Agenda 2020 where this outreach plan is part of it. We discussed this if you remember during the executive committee meeting in Reykjavík. And a number of people had indicated that they would go to the plan and full – fill out including the membership things. As far as I can see this has not been done. I just would like to remember that we have an outreach plan as part of the Agenda 2020 document. And I think we should stick with our own tools and reuse as the stuff we had - which we - it's already in place and not start something new.

The second point I would like to make is Martin is absolutely right. It has to be humble. It has to be realistic. And the point is that I would recommend people to look at what other events are already planned by other organizations and where we might be able to collaborate with. And thirdly I would like to remind also that we still have I think one or two events in the funding from the CROPP because as you remember we opted instead of travel we opted for outreach events. So there's also still a little bit of support in the kitty from that side of ICANN. I just wanted to remind us of these three points. Thank you.

Martin Silver: I can't agree more - more agree with that. So we have to dive in again that document and make it functional. We miss addressed it and I personally said like I - it's also my fault. I mean you created it. I did at first welcome it but I haven't updated to the latest discussions to the (unintelligible) constituency and we definitely have to do that all of us. If anyone has anything else to say we - now we will move to the next point. Joan do you want to go ahead and intervention?

Joan Kerr: Yes I just want to make a point about the outreach plan. Perhaps the first thing that needs to do it -- and I can do it because I'm responsible for it -- is to make a list of events that's going on as well so that we're aware of what's

going on and then we can probably look at it and say can we be involved? Is there funding for it or whatever so that we actually know in a block of time from say June to June sort of thing outside of the ICANN conferences.

Martin Silver: Yes that will be perfect. And I would also like to add to it to all of this that we've been talking about trying to get one small group to lead it, the outreach strategy and the outreach itself. Maybe that we talk about a three sort of a people group that can divide the roles of creating outreach so that the others peoples inside the ExCom can invest their time specifically in policy work and or leadership work leading other people's mentoring.

So I think this is also important to really try to scope the work of the ExCom so not to let the outreach which is usually a very time-consuming task to go beyond to operate as if we can't contain it into a few people that I – that would be very beneficial I think for the general dynamic of the thing as well for the confusion and overlappings.

And if we can concentrate specifically in this case again membership chart is supposed to have by the chart the outreach under her but I think it's proper that they - to create a small team for that, not just one person. But Joan do you have your hand up maybe or okay?

Okay then moving on we will address the NPOC corrections. We talk about that on the membership committee things but maybe there is something else that someone wants to say about that? I would like to remind that the new charter will probably have different positions in the executive committee. So we might be looking to build leadership for that new structure. We should start doing that as soon as we have a new charter because that's also part of the challenges to be up to the task as soon as we can. Klaus you have your hand up?

Klaus Stoll: Yes thank you Martin. Martin there is – there are no changes in the positions because basically it's a share of membership, share of policy and things like

that. There might be one or two additional chairmanships into the new charter. Just to clarify that there won't be changes to the existing positions of the EC but maybe an additional one or two just for clarification, nothing else.

Martin Silver: Perfect, okay. I would say just because of certainty if you like but we've been drafting an action that is similar but I think we even have positions inside the ExCom right now that are not being filled because they're not really useful in the dynamic we have. And so maybe the structure we are using now is pretty much the same we're going to have later but the structure we have now is not entirely in sync with the charter. We are missing the features at least one that we actually don't need. It doesn't have a real or we haven't found a useful role for it and no one has proposed. So the - well just to be clear we might be leading the new structure and we have to adapt to address that.

We've reached end to the any other business. Is there anyone else that wants to bring up a specific matter in here? Klaus go ahead.

Klaus Stoll: I think it is important. Sorry that I'm going back but maybe you've seen that comment in with what (Benedetta) wrote about that with the CROPP the time is running out for Financial 17 and we have to liaise with regional vice president. I think that's something we should use the time now to quickly discuss. Please remember that these events cannot be in context to any ICANN events. So basically the options there would be either to do it in the context something of the EuroDIG in Estonia or to do it in the context of the business forum Geneva. I think timewise the IGF in Geneva in December is out of the timeframe. I just want to put that out there for discussion because otherwise we are losing this opportunity.

Martin Silver: Poncelet you have...

Poncelet Ileleji: Thank you very much, Poncelet for the record. I fully concur with what Klaus has said. And we have the EuroDIG and common approaches in (Talen) 6 to 7 of June. So if either we are putting up a CROPP proposal out for that or we

are putting out for the Internet and Stockholm Internet Forum which is in May. I mean these are events that have a very much multifaceted layer of individuals and organizations coming. So I think we should come up with a plan now as Sam help me to work on the outreach for Dakar that we can do something in line. Do we want to do something at that EuroDIG in Dublin or do we want to do something at the Stockholm Internet Forum? So we should do that through major events. One is in May. One is in June. So I would like to hear from our membership chair who is supposed to be leading this what she thinks about doing something before in this time. Thank you.

Martin Silver: Okay. First before giving the floor to Joan we are – you can delegate. You have to coordinate. You can delegate this if you're overloaded because we basically set a bunch of things that are under your membership chair mandate. You have the floor Joan.

Joan Kerr: Great, thanks. Well I mean it's important. That's where we're building our workforce as it were right? So your specific question is what are we going to do about EuroDIG?

Poncelet Ileleji: Yes EuroDIG or the Stockholm Internet Forum because these are two events we can do outreach based on the CROPP.

Joan Kerr: Okay. So as always, you know, what is it that we're going to do? What do we have to hand out? Where's the money going to come from? That's always the question. So there's the CROPP funds that are available.

I think what we need to do is look - I will send it out. Do we want to be involved in it? What is it that we're going to present? Who is going to do it. You know, all of those kinds of questions comes up. But I think it's a good - they're good events to participate in personally. The question is where will we get funding for it?

Poncelet Ileleji: Yes we are - thank you Joan. Poncelet for the record. It's coming from within the CROPP. So the funding is from within the CROPP and with CROPP we need six weeks in advance and if we have to put in something then we have to put it now for so that it gets in before April and it's approved by - since it's a European event it's going to be approved by the ICANN VP for stakeholder engagements in Europe.

Joan Kerr: Okay.

Poncelet Ileleji: Yes so we have to - what we have to do okay we have to look at our European and membership base who can help us there to work with it. We can get imports from Klaus. I know you won't be able to do a lot of things but we can get inputs from Klaus on specifics for the two events. I know for example I'm going to be attending the Stockholm Internet Forum, you know. Thank you.

Martin Silver: First Klaus. So they hang up for a long time, sorry Klaus you have the floor.

Klaus Stoll: Yes and you have to be a little bit practical. For all of the events already the registration for timeslots are over. And predicting that I have reserved a three-hour time slot for the Dublin for pre-event and are already reserved timeslot for the business event in Geneva. So these timeslots are available if you want them.

Martin Silver: So who's going - Raoul please you have the floor.

Raoul Plommer: Sorry Klaus can you clarify? We have a three-hour time slot before the EuroDIG starts or...

Martin Silver: There - Raoul there is official pre-event the day before the official EuroDIG. And in that event I - in that day I reserved three hours from 11:00 till 2:00 o'clock.

Raoul Plommer: That's great. Well I think...

Martin Silver: And the other thing is for the business in Geneva, you know, the business in Geneva is running from Monday till Friday. I would like to avoid to have anything to do on Thursday or Friday because most of the people are outside. So I also indicated to (Gita Yali) that I would like to have a timeslot. And also there is space available literally over the patio at the (Bipor) offices which we can use.

Raoul Plommer: Okay. So what I was going to say is that I'm going to the EuroDIG anyway and if there's already a timeslot there we should definitely make use of it. I think I have another session there at some point that (Locabeli) was – he got it on community networking. I'll have to check with him but I'm definitely interested in doing an NPOC event there.

Martin Silver: Okay. So we have the basis of an event. Poncelet did you have your hand up?

Poncelet Ileleji: Yes Poncelet for the record. Brilliant Raoul. I think what we should do we know you're going for the EuroDIG. I think since you are based in Europe you're Finland you can see from this CROPP on how we'll come up with something for EuroDIG and the (WSIS). It makes our life easier because you're a member in Europe so I think we should show up with Klaus, get all of the information so we put in through the CROPP application as soon as possible. Thank you.

Martin Silver: I'm going to read what (Benedetta) says on the chat that we should try to reach out (Kira) and (Shukes) and on big when we're in the meeting and that we – this four events the request and the CROPP needs to be at a minimum of eight weeks in advance, two months if you want declaration of the (lower) stakeholder engagement team even earlier is better. And then a question would be who is going to lead the logistics of this of the CROPP, the (Jean-Jacques), EuroDIG, the content? Joan?

Joan Kerr: Sorry I'll work with Raoul and we can work it out and submit the application and I'll coordinate it. How's that?

Martin Silver: Thank you very much. (Miriam) says that she's here to help you with that and Klaus you have the floor.

Klaus Stoll: Yes. I would like to remind you that the EuroDIG and the business are both into that eight week timeframe if you get it done there. And as I'm the one who reserved the timeslot and is the holder of the timeslot I really would like to be engaged in the other events because this is something I initiated and yes. And so and I really also would like to say that we need there already, you know, topics and draft agendas available for both events. Thank you.

Martin Silver: Klaus your most and welcome and needed. As long as you can do it of course. You will collaborate with both Raul, Joan, (Miriam). The more can deal with that the better in terms of less work and you're having to - you're giving us the - there's lots of them. I would assume that some you would have some involvement in the preparations but of course anyone else have - (Benedetta)? Yes the mic.

(Benedetta): Thank you very much Martin. I just wanted to say obviously as Klaus noted you're perfectly in time for CROPP to use CROPP for EuroDIG. If anything it's really, really good timing. And I would just encourage you since you're here following what - how the planning went for the EuroDIG event in January I think it will be really, really useful this time while you're here you could speak and I can work with you to schedule the meeting if that would help you, I mean to speak with (Adam) and Jean-Jacques just to see if they'd be available to actually have staff on site that can actually coordinate. I assume that they'll probably have people there any way so the more collaboration you can have with the Global Stakeholder Engagement Team the better.

Martin Silver: Thank you very much for the information and encouragement.

((Crosstalk))

Klaus Stoll: Sorry the (unintelligible). Can I directly reply?

Martin Silver: Sure of course. Go.

Klaus Stoll: Please do that but (Adam) and Jean-Jacques we have talked about last week about the EuroDIG event. And they already know and they – it's already coordinated. But please talk to them again.

Martin Silver: Joan noted?

Poncelet Ileleji: Yes.

Martin Silver: Poncelet please?

Poncelet Ileleji: Yes Poncelet for the record and (Benedetta) I think based on what you just said and Klaus has said he has spoken to them already it will be better if you can help us and to just arrange a brief meeting between Joan and Raoul with these folks anytime now so that they can just thrash out the details of – so we know what to fill in the - fill in the process is not the problem but strike out the logistic details so our outreach chair and then Raoul who will be on the ground they are in sync of what's will happen. Thank you.

Martin Silver: Okay. I think this is settled at least for...

Klaus Stoll: No it isn't.

Martin Silver: Oh sorry. I didn't see - you didn't have your hand up but go ahead.

Klaus Stoll: Yes, no I just would like to say that I also would like to be part of that conversation.

Martin Silver: Which one? But I'm sure you already are. Like which one?

Poncelet Ileleji: The one I mentioned and one I expect you to...

((Crosstalk))

Klaus Stoll: (Unintelligible) what he just mentioned.

Martin Silver: Can you say that again so we can all be clear about it? Which...

((Crosstalk))

Poncelet Ileleji: What I said was that as (Benedetta) mentioned since we are all here it will be good for us to start talking again with (Jay) and (Jeff). And I said she should help us arrange a meeting between our outreach Joan and Raoul since they're here on the ground and Raoul will be the - and that's the conversation Klaus wants to be involved in it. So anytime (Benedetta) sets up that meeting I think through our Skype something Joan will be able to give a shout out to Klaus that...

((Crosstalk))

Martin Silver: And worst case you're always going to be on the loop and you can follow-up the comment in the case that you're not in the moment available. Joan?

Joan Kerr: Thank you. That's exactly what I was going to say. Of course everybody is going to be involved but sometimes you're walking around, you know, and you see somebody and you're, you know, I didn't know it was going to be a formal meeting. I thought it was a conversation. But we can do comments or write a document later in saying this is what we met and talked about if in case we can't set up a meeting because so yes.

Martin Silver: Fully noted that Klaus will be specifically addressed on the loop of any conversation relating to this event. He's part of the living team of this event. So he needs to be informed especially because he's given the (unintelligible) probably might be there even. And he already has an agenda sort of sort out. So yes absolutely Klaus be sure you will be absolutely on top of this, don't worry. And thank you as well again for being in both.

Okay if then now we are set with this. I do have another business to address. As I think all of you know I'm going to be stepping in place of Amr in the GNSO Council. That means that I will be attending GNSO Council as an (interim) council and I'm not going to be available as an ExCom member. I will be at least as license not executing the mandate inside the NPOC ExCom.

So that means we do have to solve exactly how is the chairing going to work from now until June the next election because Klaus has been out in a license for medical reasons. I am going out in license because it is not I believe maybe someone with more experience can correct me, at least not forbidden for me as a counselor to be part of the NPOC ExCom it's just not politically correct and it's part of the behavior agreement and history inside the GNSO council especially because I'm the NCSG council. I'm not the NPOC council.

And so we will have to address this maybe not now because this needs a little bit more of talking around not just we're going to have a decision made yet. But since it's Friday we'll be - if Klaus gives me the license and I officially become the councilors as it may be both cases we'll be needing someone to step up and - in the acting chair until June or at least until either Klaus or me becomes available again for execute of the ExCom mandate. Klaus you have your hand up. Please go.

Klaus Stoll: Yes Martin I think we this is not necessary because as I just said in the chat I'm available to act as chair again.

Martin Silver: Oh this is amazing good news. Thank you very much for that. That solves a big issue for us. Okay if in that case the fact that I'm not going to be working directly involved in the NPOC ExCom for the next month it doesn't mean that someone should stand up and help Klaus with this.

So I think we have more than enough volunteers to grab work here and there but it's something I think we have to address in the next week or so and come up with a solution to help Klaus in the chairing. Anyone wants to - Klaus you want to add something?

Poncelet Ileleji: I mean informally I made the proposition yesterday. So I said if to help support Klaus. And since he said he will be coming back as to act as chair will be Raoul is and especially we have some certain things coming up so I just want to propose that instead of us going back to square one. Since you're going to be handing - we are going to be a councilor from Friday we have to fix this now. There is no postponing. So I don't know if anybody was second the motion that as Klaus that he will be coming back to act as chair if Raoul would be - and the vice for now in case?

Martin Silver: You know, I don't want to solve it now. Wait a second Klaus. Is not that I want to solve it now. It's that I think this needs a little bit more of talking around before for instance I don't want to put Raoul on the spot and make him now. No, no, no, I agree we need that solid but I think we can address it in the next days in this meeting and we can finish this meeting on Friday with a formal proposal to be, you know, like to fix it before Friday. But I would suggest that someone even if it's not an acting manager at least informally help Klaus around. Klaus you wanted to say something?

Klaus Stoll: Yes. I just would love to work with Raoul and appreciate his help. And I would second that. But just please be aware that the charter there is no provision for changing people inside. So as you just said it has to be informal.

Martin Silver: I'm aware of that. We could do some acrobatic interpretation and say that ExCom has the powers to help to assign tasks to people. And in that power it can assigned the task of vice chair that is not there to do the job to some of the volunteers. It probably won't be an official vice chair. But it could - I think we could have some naming for that, maybe not acting vice chair but serving volunteer as vice chair like maybe. I think when it comes to actually doing the work we are not going to have a problem to wherever steps up. Raoul you're not on the spot. You do not have to answer this just be aware that we would be very fond if you would want to step up as vice chair for the next six months on Friday. You will get - and if anyone else wants also to be volunteering Joan three months, sorry. Three months from here to the June. In June are the elections. So three months for anyone who wants to step up and be vice chair in my absence. Okay I - Raoul want to say something?

Raoul Plommer: Yes. I'd be glad to do that.

Martin Silver: That was very fast. And that didn't require any soft conversation afterwards. Poncelet again is right. Well thank you very much Raoul. I think we're all very excited for you to become part of the active leadership is at NPOC. We are looking forward for your work after April after the Finland elections.

Don't worry we I think we can handle until then. Just be - you know we are flexible around on how to shape this so don't be afraid to communicate to that with us if you feel that there's something else or that you have new ideas. If you already have a lot of tasks that you have assumed in the last week so we know you are committed. Like you were already committed before the vice chair assistant position but thank you very much. And I think we can - we did almost three hours without even stopping for a coffee or water or any sort of break.

If no one has anything else to add I think we've covered pretty much everything we have to cover for today. We have later the NCSG meeting so I hope I see you all there. There's a lot of important stuff going on so it would

be - I think it's almost like, you know, four hours. It's an endless (reunion) but I think we are going to use every second in that meeting. So you could use the spare time now that we have to prepare for the meeting if you haven't done yet. And Klaus I see your hand up.

Klaus Stoll: Yes I have one more item. I just would officially like to thank you Martin and the executive committing for covering up for me for the time I was not available. And I think you did a brilliant job and I just want to say thank you.

Martin Silver: Klaus thank you for your leadership, your mentorship. I wouldn't be here if it was not for you so we miss you. We were concerned how your well-being and I hope we can have you back here soon as possible. Thank you all for coming and see each other in the NCSG meeting. Bye. You can stop the recording.

END