

**ICANN
Transcription ICANN Kobe
GNSO RySG Outreach to AP Region
Sunday, 10 March 2019 at 10:30 JST**

Note: Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page <http://gns0.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar>

Donna Austin: We're good? Okay, all righty. It's Donna Austin, Chair of the Registries Stakeholder Group for recording purposes. Thanks to everybody for coming and maybe there's some people here that we met on the call recently but I'm not 100% sure. So what I would like to do to kind of kick off is if we can go around the table and have folks introduce themselves and say where they're from and then we can go into.

Sue Schuler: Please join us.

Donna Austin: Yes, hi Gemma.

Jia-Rong Low: Hello. I'm Jia Rong. I'm the VP for Engagement for Asia and the MD of the ICANN Asia-Pacific Office in Singapore. So if you've not seen me before you will see me more and I'm opening the opening ceremony tomorrow.

(Liana): Hi. This is (Liana). I support communications in Asia-Pacific. So I'm from ICANN org.

Rinalia Rahim: Hi. I'm Rinalia Rahim also from ICANN org from the Singapore Office.

(Isa Victor): This is (Isa Victor) from Registry Service and Engagement team ICANN org.

Valerie Heng: Valerie, Registry Services ICANN org.

Gemma Keegan: Hi. My name is Gemma Keegan. And I'm the Policy and Compliance Officer at Neustar.

Sue Schuler: My name is Sue Schuler. I'm the Secretariat for the Registries Stakeholder Group.

Atsushi Endo: I'm Atsushi Endo from JPRS, Japan Registry Service. And the contracted parties think that we are the registry over there for .JPRS and several other Japanese brand TLD registry service providers. Thank you.

Su Wu: Hi. I'm Su Wu. I'm from .Global. I'm now based in Australia.

Sam Demetriou: Hi. I'm Sam Demetriou. I'm the Vice Chair of Policy for the Registries Stakeholder Group and I am a Policy Manager with Verisign.

(Trin Tran): (Trin Tran), work for (unintelligible) APAC GSE but basically in Beijing.

Beth Bacon: I'm Beth Bacon. And I'm the Vice Chair of Administration for the Registries Stakeholder Group. And I'm with PIR. And I'm the - what am I the Senior Director of Policy and Privacy.

(Micah Oda): Hi. I'm (Micah Oda). And I'm from the MarkMonitor Japan Office. And this is the first time to join this meeting so I'm a little bit nervous so very nice to meet you all.

Russ Weinstein: Hi. I'm Russ Weinstein. I am the Director of Registry Service and Engagement for ICANN.

(Iagato): Hi. I'm (Iagato). I'm from MarkMonitor Office from Japan, nice to meet you.

David McAuley: David McAuley is my name. I work - I'm part of the Registries Stakeholder Group and work at Verisign and the policy team.

Dawn Shackleton: ((Foreign Language Spoken 0:03:09)) Dawn Shackleton at Sky Europe's largest media company and Head of Online Compliance and Brand Protection and I manage .sky.

Donna Austin: Okay, thanks everybody. So it seems like we've got a fair spread of the Registry Services Team from ICANN and some from the Singapore Office so welcome. What Gemma failed to say is she's based in Melbourne with the Neustar team. So and don't want to speak for Gemma but this is Gemma's first ICANN meeting as well. So folks on the line (John) used to be in the side the table with us and is working with ICANN now. So some familiar faces but many that I haven't met before so it's really good that you could join us here. Part of the reason for these sessions this is an outreach session. So were any of you here on the call that we had two weeks ago?

Woman: Yes.

Donna Austin: Yes. Su, were you on the call?

Su Wu: I was.

Donna Austin: Okay, all right. And (unintelligible) no? Okay already. So this is an outreach session for the Registries Stakeholder Group. What we'll - I can run through the slides which is about, you know, who we are and what we do. We'll also be going through - well I'll be going through this at the APAC session tomorrow so apologies if this is going to be repetitive when you see it tomorrow but I can quickly go through. And if people, you know, if you've got any questions just ask us as we go along that would be really helpful. And we're had a late entrance to the room so would you like to introduce yourself?

Raymond Zylstra: Hi. I'm Raymond Zylstra from Neustar.

Donna Austin: Thanks Ray. Can you operate the slides is that yes okay great.

Woman: Okay.

Donna Austin: Okay, so Beth, Sam and myself are part of the Executive Committee of the Registries Stakeholder Group. Jonathan Robinson is the other formal member. He is the Treasurer. And then we have an extended group so the Registries Stakeholder Group is - we are a group that looks after the responsibilities of registry operators in the ICANN community. So we're as a result of the new TLD program we are now have a membership of about 80 plus members and it's quite diverse which we're, you know, we're really pleased about but we're struggling with some of that diversity because we're not (unintelligible) we don't all have the same viewpoints.

This morning (Tim) is being - chairing a session of a group of interested people on developing guidelines for how we submit or develop comments for the Registries Stakeholder Group. And part of the reason this came about is because we do have different opinions now. So it's a case of how do we manage that in terms of expectations for comments that we develop through public comment processes from a registry perspective acknowledging that we will have differences of opinion on occasion. So we're working through some guidelines for that so we can set expectations within the stakeholder group itself.

So it was really - some really good discussion this morning so we're hoping we can build on that moving forward. And it will also - some of the discussion got into the products and services that we want to provide for our membership. And one of the reasons that we're having this session now with Asia-Pacific folks is that the Registries Stakeholder Group is predominantly North American and European based and a lot of the well we have regular calls and those calls are at an hour that isn't convenient for our Asia-Pacific folks.

So what we'd like to do is engage more directly with you folks and find ways that we can do that because you really, you know, your import to the stakeholder group is really important to us so we want to see how we can find ways to address that. We just got a few other people come into the room so I'll just give a couple of minutes, thanks. I just want to welcome the two folks that just came in and not to put you on the spot but if you wouldn't mind introducing yourself for the rest of the folks?

(Lynn): Hi there. My name is (Lynn) from .DCO we call it .Chinese online .Chinese Web site. Basically we're based in -- while my boss is in Finland (unintelligible) but we actually main market is in China. Thank you.

Hanyu Yang: And hi. This is Hanyu. You add this is my first time for ICANN. I'm from Tele-info. And we have (unintelligible) .info. Thank you.

Donna Austin: Thank you, welcome. So we're just going through a little bit of an introductory phase about what the Registries Stakeholder Group is. And maybe I should go back on script rather than (unintelligible). So that the - who we are the primary role of the Registries Stakeholder Group is to represent the interest of gTLD operators that are currently under contract to ICANN. So different to ccTLDs and our .GPRS representative will understand the difference that ccTLDs don't have a contractual relationship with ICANN but gTLD registry operators do. So that's really the difference a registry operator that has a contact with ICANN is welcome to join the Registries Stakeholder Group.

If I said the current membership is about 80 plus members. We also including that what we've recently done or recently maybe two years ago we opened up membership to associations. So the Brand Registry Group and the gTLD group are also associate members of the Registries Stakeholder Group. So that was a recent initiative that we've managed a couple years ago. And as I said the membership grew considerably as a result of the new gTLD process.

Our executive committee, so myself, Donna Austin is chair. This is my first ICANN meeting as the Chair of the Registries Stakeholder Group. We turned over last - at the end of the AGM in Barcelona. So this is my first meeting presiding as the chair of the stakeholder group. Sam Vice Chair Policy so Sam you can yes?

Samantha Demetriou: So as the Vice Chair of Policy my primary role in the stakeholder group is to coordinate the development of our comments and our policy positions on different topics that arise within ICANN. So a lot of that is coordinating different members to draft input on things that get put out for public comment but also occasionally letters to ICANN org or to the ICANN Board on various issues that come up to represent the interest of stakeholder - of the stakeholders in our group.

Donna Austin: Thanks Sam. And then Beth is our Vice Chair Admin Administration. And Beth like me is a newbie.

Beth Bacon: Yes. This is my first full meeting. We rolled in on Barcelona as a Vice Chair of Admin usually it's to kind of keep the wheels going for the workers the - of the stakeholder group. So lots of making sure that we have budget requests in, and supporting our travelers with funding slots and that sort of thing and then Sam and I will both roll in and chair groups and calls if necessary.

Donna Austin: Thanks Beth. One of the things we don't mention so we have actually if I work through the slides we do mention it let's keep going. Sorry.

Woman: (Unintelligible) one.

Donna Austin: Yes.

Woman: Yes.

Donna Austin: Okay. So we're elected by the members of the stakeholder group and to do so I can't remember the cycle of how often...

((Crosstalk))

Donna Austin: ...what every two years. So there's I think we can serve for two terms maybe by two years yes. So we're elected by the membership. There is a larger the larger ExCom includes are three councilors. So I'll speak to that a little bit later and also the outgoing chair of Paul Diaz. He serves as a member of the NomCom I think for a 12 month period. After a chair steps down they can serve on the ExCom for a further 12 months. And also a nominating committee representative serves on the ExCom as well. So that's currently John Nevitt who is a CEO of (BIRNL).

And we regularly engage with Registrar Stakeholder Group Executive Committee because we, you know, because we're contracted parties we have similar issues that come up with ICANN and on the council, GNSO Council and discussions that the council might be having. We're usually aligned so it's important that we keep in communication with the Registrar Stakeholder Group. But this is kind of a distribution by region. So it's new gTLDs by region and also the Registries Stakeholder Group members by region.

So our membership from Asia-Pacific is reasonably representative of the new gTLDs that are in the region. But, you know, what we appreciate is we don't necessarily have the engagement level that we would like to have with folks in the region. So that's why we're doing a dedicated outreach here because obviously we're in the region and we hope to follow-up during the GDD Summit in Bangkok in a couple of months to have a little bit more engagement with folks from the region. And then hopefully that will help us engage on a more regular basis with members from the region.

And I think what we're also hoping to do -- and (Valerie) has been very helpful in this regard -- is initially we're happy to have, you know, open up conversation to TLD operators from the region that are not members of the stakeholder group but try to engage with you a little bit more directly about things are - that we're dealing with in the stakeholder group and perhaps that will lead to membership at a later date. So that's something we're actively working to.

So what do we do? So the Registries Stakeholder Group advocates to the ICANN predominantly to ICANN staff and board on behalf of the registry operators. So (Russ) is probably my primary contact but Karla has a lot to do with folks in the Registries Stakeholder Group. So there are issues that will often come up. Karla has helped us a lot with the development of the GDD schedule and that's been really helpful for that coordination.

(Russ) and I, you know, there's topics that the GDD is interested in seeing the stakeholder group get involved in or needs a contact to say, you know, what do you think the registries will think about this we'll have that conversation. So that interaction is really helpful. And also to the ICANN Board so during each ICANN meeting not the middle meeting the first and third meeting of the year every constituency and stakeholder group has FaceTime with the board. The Registries Stakeholder Group usually does that combined with the Registrar Stakeholder Group. And it's a 90 minute session we have two engage with the board.

We do have a little bit we think we could do a better job of that engagement so we're thinking of about we've had an ExCom meeting yesterday and we're thinking about ways that we can improve that dialogue so it's more of a dialogue and we feel like we come away with something tangible. So we're kind of thinking about that but we will have a session with the board on Tuesday afternoon I think from 4:00 to 5:30 or something like that. So that's the appliqué part. Provide avenues and opportunities for participation in policy, technical development and global Internet governance. So what we've

seen with particularly with the expedited policy process on the gTLD registration data is that right Beth?

Yes okay. It is, you know, we - the representation of that EPDP was different from most policy development processes in that we had to provide three representatives from the Registries Stakeholder Group to that effort. And rather than, you know, speaking as individual registries we had a - they were actually speaking on behalf of the Registries Stakeholder Group. So that was a big effort. Sam and Beth were both really closely involved in that Beth yes.

Beth is currently serving as a member of the team but she's also an alternate but I think she's one of the master ringleaders to with that effort as well. So but that's - it's been an interesting experience because we don't often have policy development efforts where we have a team representing the Registries Stakeholder Group so that's been something new for us. I think it's worked pretty well but it's, you know, worn out some people in the process.

But, you know, I think it demonstrates the real value of the stakeholder group that we do have people with specific expertise that can participate in these efforts, advocated on our behalf and protect the interests of registry operators as a whole. So that was a really important exercise for us. It's not finished yet obviously they're going to Phase 2 but I think it demonstrates the value of the stakeholder group.

Separately we have, you know, there's a - we also had the Registration Data Access Protocol working group that comprised a number of the technical folks from their registries and also from the registrars. And I've been working on the profile documents for RDAP so that's another area where we pulled resources to come up with (unintelligible) documents and that was again that was a really difficult prolonged exercise but we were fortunate that we had - we were able to get the right people in the room to represent the interests of us and the registrar's in the profile documents were endorsed by the stakeholder group and provided to (Cyrus) as the SVP of GDD. And each of

you if you were registry operators you would have received a legal noticing saying you have to implement that in 180 days. So that's another example of where we've had representation and participation of a small team that's represented the Registries Stakeholder Group as a whole.

We've also, you know, when we talk about representation so there (Russ) and (Karla) are probably very familiar with this but we - we're very careful with anything to do with a contract, so the registry agreement. Very sensitive to opening up any discussion about the registry agreement and we've had one exercise where the - there has been an amendment to the registry agreement. And while that was supposed to be a 12 month process I think it was a two-year process. But that was another exercise where people with, you know, legal expertise could work on behalf of the stakeholder group as a whole for those registry amendments that ultimately came out of that.

Interaction with, you know, the stakeholder groups and its members (unintelligible) education opportunities for registry operators in their markets. So one of the things that the GDD Summit has become important for is sharing information about business practices, you know, the stakeholder group is made up of registry operators with, you know, very different business models and approaches to doing things. So the GDD provides an opportunity for sharing of information and education.

But the other part of that education is, you know, part of what we're doing here today. We feel that we need to be a little bit more on the front foot of engaging with people. So that's what we're doing here with you today in the hope that we can help you with any of the, you know, questions that you might have about registry operations, or what happens in ICANN and how we can help you in that regard. But and we're also having our first session with the GAC here this week. So Sam, Beth and I will - it's, you know, primarily the first thing is education. I'll go through the same slide deck with them as I am with you. This is who we are and what we do and, you know, what are our

opportunities to engage better and be a little bit more proactive about we do - about who we are and what we do.

One of the things that we find -- and this is DNS abuse is a perfect example of that -- is that there are conversations that go on within the community about things like DNS abuse. And but we're not necessarily part of the conversation but we end up sometimes on the backend of that conversation as, you know, people want action taken. So they, you know, they look to the contracted parties to, you know, make improvements to the way they do things or be more open about the way they do things.

But there's a little bit of a rub as to how we can do that within the requirements of the registry agreement but also being I was going to say good soldiers but that's probably the wrong word. But, you know, most of us are good actors in this space so that's the message we want to take forward that while this is a concern for the community we understand the concern and we are doing more and this is what we're doing in that regard. So that's part of the education that - from a stakeholder group perspective we want to do a little bit more of that as well just being more proactive in that regard. So any questions so far in any of this?

Okay, so where do we fit in the ICANN structure? So we're part of the generic names supporting organization. And along with the Intellectual Property Constituencies, the Business Constituency, Noncommercial Users Constituency and we're as I said before primarily aligned with the Registrar Stakeholder Group as there also contracted parties. And together with the registrars we formed the contracted parties house of the GNSO Council. And like us we elect three members to the council and they serve - they can - they are elected by the membership. And they can serve a two by two year terms.

When we're going through that election process we are, you know, we try to make sure we that have diversity in the representatives we put forward. I recently stood down from a four year term on the council. And I was, you

know, represented from a geographic perspective Asia-Pacific that we had Maxim replace me. He is from Russia. Rubens I think is in his last year and he's from Brazil and Keith Drazek from North America. And some of you may be aware that (Casey) is - was recently elected the chair of the GNSO Council as well.

And we also the Contracted Parties House also elects one person to the ICANN Board. And we've just recently reappointed Becky Burr to the ICANN Board. So while we have the ability as a Contracted Parties House to appoint a person to the ICANN Board they don't really represent our interest on the board. And that's because of fiduciary duties that the board has towards ICANN but what Becky does do is help with education on, you know, registry issues that might come up on the board because that is where she's come from.

She's very knowledgeable in that area. So she helps with the education of, you know, particularly newcomers to the board, you know, just educating about, you know come what a registry operator does and potentially some of the impact of decisions at the board might be taking, you know, from an impact that I might have had registry operators. So any questions on that?

Okay, so a few of the current areas of focus. So I've spoken about the EPDP on gTLD registration data and the development of the RDAP profile document. So they have been, you know, anything to do with general protection regulation that came out of Europe this has been a hot topic for us for probably the last three years I would say. So we've certainly had a lot of people engage because it had a direct impact on registry operators so it's something that we really were going to try to be on the front foot about. So - and we'll continue to do so going to Phase 2.

The development of the RDAP profile document so that while that effort is complete it's still its ongoing to a large extent because there may be some changes that need to be made as a result of the recommendations that came

out of the final report for Phase 1 of the EPDP. So that will be an active working group for some period of time.

ICANN compliance audit so if you're registry operator you would have been part of the recent compliance audit. We to say we had some issues with that would be an understatement. We engaged with compliance two Webinars and three direct - I had interaction with (Jamie) and some of the compliance team about our concerns. We - because we weren't able to resolve those concerns we took our concerns to the compliance office. And we haven't, you know, while we went through that process we weren't necessarily happy with it but we were - our concerns have been documented. And I think that was really important part of the audit. And moving forward we have a session coming up on Wednesday with ICANN compliance. And while it's a closed session any registry operator can attend.

And what we're trying to do with that session is - and this is worth a little bit of a first in that we worked with compliance to develop the agenda. And what we're hoping to achieve out of that is a common understanding of what is within the remit of ICANN compliance when it comes to audits of registry operators and do a little bit of assessment on, you know, when we get into future audits, you know, to have that communication could be better to be a little bit more engaged with registry operators upfront so that we have a better understanding of what's coming and be sure that we have agreement on, you know, what the scope and what can be - well, you know, what the intended purpose of the audit is.

So that was - that took up a fair amount of time in the first couple months of this year. Sam's also spoken to the development of comments that we have on PDP working groups in ICANN documents. So Sam if you want to elaborate on we can see some of the topics and things that we addressed in those recently?

Samantha Demetriou: So as a stakeholder group we try to be very active in providing input and feedback on the different items that come up for public comment. Just A, because we want to be make sure - we want to make sure we're representing the views of all of our members when there are items that are important to registry operators but also to just be good active participants in the multi-stakeholder community and, you know, supporting the ICANN process as a whole.

So one of the, you know, as Donna alluded to we're still ironing out some of the logistics of how to make sure that we are getting input from the biggest swath of our membership as possible. One of the PDP working group reports that we recently I think there were some things that we had a lot of success on and getting a lot of people involved in that effort was on the Subsequent Procedures PDP Working Group. So they released an initial report like the middle of last year. And then they had a supplemental report that came out and also the Work Track 5 on geographic names had its own initial individual initial report came - come out.

So we were able to get a number of different members involved in that effort and contributing to drafting the documents as well as number of members who reviewed those drafts and provided input and, you know, who to refine them. We struggled a little bit in the sense that we had some areas where different members had different viewpoints on some of the questions that were posed or some of the proposals that were put forward in that - those initial reports and supplementary reports.

So, you know, we're still kind of working out how to make sure we capture different viewpoints in a way that is still useful to the working group leadership. And so that's definitely an evolving process. But what we're really working on is making sure that when we are developing these comments that we are getting as much engagement from our different members as possible so that we are putting something out there that is truly representative of our membership.

So we're always looking for volunteers but we're always looking for people to just, you know, not necessarily take on the writing of the comments which can be, you know, can be a lot of work it can be kind of intimidating especially if it's something that you're not a topic you're not super familiar with but where you do have something to contribute or if you do have an opinion, you know, figuring out ways to get more members involved and providing that information to us.

Donna Austin: Thanks Sam. What's next on the - okay so the questions that we have up here they actually came I think they're for the session tomorrow but yes okay so from Michael Flemming I think. So before we go to those I'm not sure the relevance they have to the folks in the room but oh there's Michael. Does anyone have - yes? So does anyone have any questions that they want to ask or, you know, if I can ask you a question did you find this information helpful that would be good to know.

Okay, and, you know, one of the things I'm really interested in is how we can engage with you on a more regular basis on what would be helpful for you. I know, you know, my primary concern is I know that we have a time zone challenge. But, you know, maybe there's some other issues that are specific to the region that we don't necessarily address but I think would be the only way we're going to know that if it's an issue is if you come and tell us and then we can, you know, find a way to maybe help address those. So that kind of feedback will be really helpful for us moving forward. Yes (Valerie), did you have anything you wanted to add or - so just from your I guess from your perspective what's your sense of what will be helpful for the registry operators in the region and how we can maybe engage more in that regard?

Valerie Heng: So we have (unintelligible) from the EPAT registry. Perhaps we can give them some digestive information for them to eat up first and prepare for the meeting. So you see the culture there they would like to be more familiar with the subjects and they get into discussions. Yes.

Donna Austin: One of the things that we - Sam led a session this morning on, you know, how we develop comments. But we went a little bit further with that this morning on, you know, what documents and product can we develop that would be helpful for the membership. And one of the things that came out of that was perhaps a quarterly digest of what we've been, you know, dealing with and comments that we've responded to and links to those comments. The other resource we have available to us that we don't take full use of we actually have a Web site which is rst.info. And what we want to do is try to find ways to drive people more directly to that and find ways that we can enhance the information that we have other now so that it's more user friendly or, you know, the information is more helpful.

So we rely predominantly on a mailing list within the stakeholder group and, you know, it's I have trouble searching for things on the mailing list but a lot of the information is actually on the Web site but we don't necessarily use that. So that's something we want to push our membership a little more towards. But certainly the idea of a quarterly digest is something that we discussed this morning so I think that moving forward that's something we would like to do.

But like everybody we also have a resourcing issue. We have, you know, 80 plus members some of them are very small registries that aren't particularly well resourced or don't have the resources to put a lot of time into this. So one of the benefits of the membership is that collectively hopefully we have the resources to develop this kind of information and product for people so that we can develop that kind of information so that's something we certainly look into, you know, how we can do that.

Valerie Heng: And then from ICANN own perspective we could help to translations into the Chinese or Japanese language material.

- Donna Austin: Disregard I don't know where we stand with translations whether that's something the ICANN can help us with that is? Okay, yes so that's certainly something that we'd be very happy to do moving forward, yes.
- Beth Bacon: For a moment. The only document that we've ever really translated has been our charter which is on our Web site in all the different languages the UN languages. And it is on the Web site in Chinese so if you do want to see our charter and what we're about that is there and already translated. We've never really gone beyond that but I know that is available to us if - and if there is requests within this group and we start to form a group of people that really, you know, want that we can definitely get that done so.
- Valerie Heng: Yes.
- Man: So just want to share something I not necessary from the whole region but basically from the Chinese registry people have some communication (unintelligible). Based on my observation for the like engagement or participation I think we need to pay attention to different level of participation. Some are maybe just observer then become like a follower, then become like an active participant and to then become like (unintelligible) right? So when I - when we see like the Chinese registry I think more in the transition from observer to the like active or like a follower right?
- So but when we come to like provide response or comments to many like a PDP report they don't necessarily get that involved in that I want to provide my response because I am not familiar with the substance material. But for many registries they just want to know what is happening. So maybe it's helpful to just people like a digest or summary what is happening right where they get more familiar with what is happening they become go to the higher level. So also come to the language they don't necessarily to be the Chinese I mean the summary or digest I think we can read although slowly.

And so the problem for like the face to face conversation debate in English that's a problem for this but read some summary or that should be okay. So if we have those kinds of material that will be very helpful. Hope I also want to say that from lower level to like higher level they may need some help from the more active participant in the registries or like a mentor right so help to grow as (unintelligible) thank you.

Beth Bacon: So what's interesting - oh I'm sorry I didn't want to cut off...

Man: Unintelligible.

Beth Bacon: Well what I was just going to say is what's interesting is what we're hearing today at least is that your needs are actually very similar to some of the needs of our smaller registry members. The concept of having a mentor when you first join the Registries Stakeholder Group helping you kind of get your feet wet and learn the ropes was brought up this morning as well. So it's good to know that we're not trying to tackle, you know, a bunch of different problems but that, you know, I think this is something that becomes manageable for us at an ExCom level to start working to address these topics.

Jia Rong: Thank you. This is Jia Rong speaking. So just taking adding on from what (Trin Tran) is saying my experience working with the community from the Asia-Pacific region. So the if you want them to have a discussion reduced rate it will be really challenging because language is the problem. But a lot of them are happy reading the materials first. So I would suggest we can start small instead of even the digest which might want to consolidate a whole bunch of information. Perhaps even just in bite sizes like one topic each time.

It could be, you know, you have the regular calls after that just have a digest of what are some key highlights on the discussion. That alone would help the members already from that perspective. Then use those bite sized pieces to put together a digest quarterly. So then you wouldn't have that kind of a

heavy burden to try to put everything together in one shot so that could be something that would help.

I think the mentoring idea is fantastic. Within the Asia-Pacific community the face to face relationship is important. So we could try something like perhaps at the GDD Summit or even the next ICANN meeting or both to look at who is participating these smaller registries as well as they APAC registries were participating. We invite them like kind of networking thing because if we talk about the discussion on the topic we might intimidate them or we focus more on building the relationship first. Then once they are very comfortable and know you very well then they ask you when you want to get inputs from them is much more easier. So we could try that as well I think that could be another passing point.

Beth Bacon: So I think those are really helpful suggestions and I think they're great. I do want to note we're doing notes no out of our - the standard registry called the biweekly. So I think we could very easily kind of bake that rebate then into something that would be helpful for you guys. It's a little bit more than notes but a little less than, you know, a book that you're going to have to read every two weeks. So I think that's - that might be helpful as a starting place.

Donna Austin: And I think there's a little bit of a step back from that in that we talk in code a lot of the time well not so much code but there's certainly shorthand. So what we - it's always very difficult in a ICANN context to try to summarize something in a paragraph. But maybe that's something we could, you know, look at doing because I think even to the - I sense that some of the feedback we got this morning that smaller registries probably, you know, are having the same challenges in keeping up.

So if we can find a way to summarize, you know, high level work the issue is and potential impact of the registry operator and maybe, you know, this is a four year process that's ongoing or this is a two year process or whatever just to give a timeline a little bit more background that might be helpful so that

they've at least got a starting point. So that when we do those, you know, forte nightly notes or the quarterly digest they at least have that background as well. So, you know, I know there's a lot of information that the policy team puts out but sometimes that's again it's yes it is because it's not, you know, we need to think about this from a what's the impact from the registry operators and that would be the focus that we take forward. Again it'll take us a little while to get there but we'll work on it.

Jia Rong: Also have small question that we ICANN staff how can we help a little bit. I know it's more like a community driven you want something you want just to keep it within the stakeholder group not necessarily want to staff get involved. But for this engagement effort I think we may get a little bit of help. For example if you received just like sent email to the like the Chinese registry say we have a call meeting they don't necessarily want to take part in because they don't know and they're not familiar with the whole process.

And the (unintelligible) those emails just go to the very junior staff they don't necessarily want to report to the senior because the senior they don't just want to support your effort. So for us if we have some like a digest or your some like summary of things we know what topic is important and what call is important we can just directly on approach to their boss or the senior staff right? So they just order or less the junior staff to be more active partners. I think that's one (unintelligible) we can get more help. Thank you.

Hanyu Yang: And this is Hanyu. Actually this is my first ICANN meeting. And for us we have some transition during for comparing RSD during the payment. And it's really hard for us to find the people we're going to pay the money that this is the kind of so is the reason I'm saying something maybe some more is not cooperate. Rather than the email maybe we can have some use some social media like to have some kind of (unintelligible) group to approach more people to have more engagement like because receiving the emails.

I'm sorry to say that because someday I got one like eight emails per day. And this is only for RSP. It's very hard for us to read it all. And for the newbies it's really hard to get all the information in the first place. So is it possible to use the new social media like the Skype group because in China we have like WeChat group. And like Chinese authority we have all the people inside it and we will get the information together the first time (unintelligible) there so it's much easier. This is just the informal request. Thank you.

Jia Rong: Basically in Beijing I actually operate many Chinese social media. Yes that's more efficient to really share the information to the stakeholder yes.

Sue Schuler: Hi Hanyu, I'm Sue, very nice to meet you. I know we had gone through some transition with Beijing Tele-info and getting you established. So I appreciate your patience. Just to address the email when you're saying that you're getting overwhelmed with the emails if you want to just send me an email I can actually go in and you can receive the emails from our membership mailing lists as like a digest weekly as opposed to getting them as they come out if you'd prefer. So I mean there are different things that we can do so that you're not deluged with emails so let's talk there.

Hanyu Yang: Thank you. Thank you so much. Yes, if I'm - for me I'm sorry I don't really familiar about receiving the emails. And I don't know already how to classify them into the different kind of files. This is my mistake because actually I'm not familiar for this one. And the reason maybe I guess I misreading our - this because also just now I went to the wrong meetings. So maybe for the new person is like this kind of information to get more involvement so this just maybe some effort for the email things so just to say to maybe use more in conference. Thank you.

Michael Flemming: Thank you, Michael from GMO. I just I have really bad hearing so if I misheard something please correct me. But what it sounds like from what I read out of this of the comments around, you know, the difficulty with email

and, you know, I think I understood that there's a better platform for communication in this aspect. And, you know, when I think of Asia, you know, a lot of times we have different environment and we're kind of I don't want to say we're exclusive from the rest of the world but in a lot of ways due to the some of the ways the government - some governments and some laws operate a lot of times the way that the most efficient communication is done in the west such as email is most likely probably not efficient in some aspects of Asia.

China, Korea and Japan have different platforms I think for, you know, doing for being active in communicating with others. I mean we already see this in different social media different chat platforms. We have things here in Asia that you all have never heard of at least in the last - but I think maybe this is an opportunity for us to kind of consider how we can, you know, go outside of our normal way of communicating by email and instead of just, you know, shortening the email itself or just sending a normal digest is there another way that we can engage on a platform that would be more appropriate to the culture of our, you know, of those closed areas in a way if you will of Asia.

Donna Austin: Thanks for the feedback and unfortunately I'm a little bit of a dinosaur when it comes to social media so I'll rely on young folks (unintelligible).

Woman: I was wondering how you...

Donna Austin: But certainly I hear the message that email is not the best way to communicate so if we can find maybe Michael can help us in relation to that, you know, stay here Michael. Yes in identifying perhaps, you know, other ways that we can communicate and be more effective in that regard.

Michael Flemming: Definitely, I think it's definitely worth considering and worth engaging. I think we'll need a little bit more discussion to figure out where the road takes us of course. I can assist in, you know, perhaps platforms with Japan and stuff. I'm not a very active social media person myself. Most of my friends are

over here but well no I've got friends in Japan too I'm just. But also with China and everything I mean each of these cultures are so respective to their own countries it's different for every country. It's still amazing how it operates differently. But I think having basically engagement with each with a representative from each country or somebody that should be able to help and assist in ways of bettering communication would be very helpful as well.

Jia Rong:

So we can definitely help from staff in terms of helping to disseminate information. I think as a starting point it's having that information, the digestible information. So when we have that then for example share with that and (Trin Tran) can (unintelligible) on the WeChat platform. And he can also because we read it too. So we can think - which is a key point we want to push out first. So it could be like a call for some views or is just to highlight that this thing might have an impact on you we'd push that message up first so that would help to bring to the attention of the readers. So that's one

The other area could be - so each of us within my region I have staff looking after as a subregion or a specific country like actually China is huge and only (Trin Tran) covers China so it's a lot. But we can help to think how can we tailor the message and help you disseminate it. So that will be the starting point. Some actually don't mind, you know, so we could think about even a two pronged approach. Generally, you know, like in a mailing list there's a bit of discussion. So people don't really know how to jump in especially if they're very new right? So they will be oh now it's too much I'm overwhelmed. So they would not think about that.

Every time you see a mailing list, you know, we could think of okay perhaps we can supplement it by working with a particular person who is very willing to help disseminate information. It could be from staff. It could be from one of the registry operators from that place who can help to be like the liaisons so to speak. So this person would then based on the digest or based on the bite sized materials say okay you don't need to read everything just read this one thing. And people would be happy to do it. But you need some person to

guide them that week. So we could work out something (unintelligible) get the information then work out something based on the tactics how to reach out to the different groups in different subregions.

Atsushi Endo: Related to the information sharing summarize or the (unintelligible) from the registry operator viewpoint it's one important thing is the - if ICANN staff says summarize something or they say something it is ICANN view so that need to be official or needs to be careful to the wording.

But the - as the registry stakeholders summaries it is more directly the viewpoint from the registry operator or the kind of frankly speaking (unintelligible) this is this what has happened is from the registry operator viewpoint it is very valuable information because if you just look ICANN (unintelligible) the ICANN Web site it is the information official information but it's (unintelligible)kind of hiring some (unintelligible) so that - so small registry or the - some members in APAC region wants to know what's happened inside or the back or so it is very value to join the Registries Stakeholder Group I think.

Michael Flemming: This is Michael again. I really like what Endo-san said right now because I think it's very important. When we considered this aspect of communication and sharing I think there's two obviously there's two folds here. One is the fact that ICANN is sending out information. One thing is that the Registries Stakeholder Group is capturing information and passing it along to the rest of the group saying this is important.

And this as I think as I think where as Jia Rong is coming from I think this is where the liaison point in ICANN further following that information to platforms like WeChat or, you know, just this would probably pertain to you this I think that's okay. But where I think (Endo) son is coming from and saying that it's vitally important that we allow for member - the opinions of people to be displayed in its original content if you will is that this is not - you

always hear just a public forum is not a platform to act as a replacement for public comments, the public comments and that's very much true.

But the aspect of that is that if we can inform individuals that this is an important topic and then the relative opinions the relative feedback from members is being shared to the email list then I think that we can give them I think that will at least give people a bit more organized digest of what issues they do want to look at what opinions they might want to look at relative to that topic. So informing members about what is important yes and then summarizing and talking about what was talked about that may be southern a little bit more difficult from that aspect so that's really important that's really good. Thank you for that.

Donna Austin: Yes and I think is Registries Stakeholder Group as well I mean we don't our list is a closed list. We will invite staff on our calls. And generally they'll come in through the last maybe half hour of what will be a two hour call but we clear all the chat beforehand. So we from a registry stakeholder perspective there is some confidentiality about discussions that we have because often, you know, it will be a different view from ICANN. So the point you made is very well made and very well taken.

So we need to find a way to balance that so, you know, find information that we can share openly and have ICANN pass that on that's important. And the other stuff which is more the analysis and the importance for registry operators we need to find a way to get that information to you so it's not I guess sanitized in any way or compromised in any way. So yes it's a balance we'll have to find and maybe we need to think about this as baby steps. So we do think kind of a phased rolling approach (unintelligible).

Michael Flemming: Sorry did someone else no okay. So I think where people feel really bombarded with communication is where they have, you know, eight or 20 different emails they get shot in the same during at night, you know, you wake up in the morning and (unintelligible) what did I miss? So the aspect of,

you know, and you're completely correct we need to find that balance. And, you know, the Registries Stakeholder Group mailing list ICANN staff is not a member of that. And that's what you get for your, you know, your membership fees really being to have that engagement.

Is there a way that we can have somebody internally on the Registries Stakeholder Group side summarize just talking points or where the discussion is at, at some point? I know that we have sorry I can't remember if we have member meeting summaries or not? I don't think we do. But I do know that we do have - sorry it's I know I'm in the same time zone but I'm not thinking clearly completely when the beds are hard enough to sleep on. But do we summarize information at some point within the Registries Stakeholder Group that we might...

Donna Austin: Yes. And Michael some of the conversation you missed is that recently Sue has started doing notes from our calls because we understand that, you know, if you're trying to catch up and you're reading through a two hour transcript it can be tight. And so what we try to do is highlight the key points from our meeting. And if folks want to go into more detail they can actually pick that out.

It's - it can be a challenge trying to wrap up a discussion particularly if it's happening on the mailing list and trying to explain the different points of view. And I guess to some extent that's the role of the chair to try to do that. We, you know, have a few - it's interesting because you never really know what's going to trigger people to get, you know, (unintelligible) something. You know, something that you think might be - it would just go through without any comment, you know, like recently the I think (Carla) is aware with but the PDRP and changes to that the response we got from members was quite - I was really surprised.

But it was also on a procedural and substance basis as well. So, you know, it does get really, you know, even (unintelligible) I've being somewhat

overwhelmed as a chair with the amount of information that you're trying to digest, and understand, and provide direction to the stakeholder group, and interaction with staff and how we move issues forward. So I understand that, you know, if you're coming from - I've been in the stakeholder group for maybe five or six years now.

So I've got a pretty good base knowledge but I can understand if you're coming into it fresh it's - it can be overwhelming. So finding a way that we can make the information digestible and also in building blocks so that we're helping you understand an issue rather than just giving you the whole thing and saying go away and figured out yourself so - and that's to some extent goes to the mentoring which is something that - sorry I forgot your name.

Dawn Shackleton: Dawn.

Donna Austin: Dawn. There's something that Dawn brought up earlier. So the session we had this morning Dawn was at the end of the table and I had never seen or met Dawn before. So it was good to see a new face but I'm sure if you talk to Dawn she's probably got some of the same questions that you have being a newcomer. But the language barrier is probably not as much a problem to overcome.

So we're working on things. And we're trying to, you know, find ways that we can provide, you know, better services for our membership. But to be honest the cycle of ICANN meetings because they happen three times a year. The planning that we have to engage in for these meetings is, you know, it's two months of work right? You're trying to organize schedules, you're trying work - understand what the topics are inevitably, you know, the board will issue something like the competition consumer trust report, you know, that came out two days ago.

And if Pam Little hadn't seen that on a blog post I'd be clueless. But that will have an impact on us as registry operators. So that's information as we

received it isn't centralized it doesn't come through one funnel it comes through many. So that's one of the things with the stakeholder group is that we have, you know, (David) has been our eyes and ears on accountability Work Stream 2 and particularly on the issue of the independent review panel yes. And, you know, he provided information this morning that something is out for comment. And we - it didn't show up on the public comment page so we're scratching our heads as to where they could possibly be.

So, you know, that's some of the things that we're struggling with as well. But again that's a very important issue for registry operators because it's the - if you have any concerns of a, you know, maybe contractual issue or something like that it's one of the appeals mechanisms that's available to registry operators. So and, you know, you wouldn't know that unless we gave you the background to why it's important for you and why to watch out for it so that's, you know, we have a lot of information that's coming to us we're trying to funnel it and we're trying to prioritize it in a way to, you know, understand how we can manage it.

But we have, you know, in a lot of cases we have spokes - not so much spokespeople for the Registries Stakeholder Group but we have members from the Registries Stakeholder Group that provide information back to the group as a whole. So that's how we get our information that we know what's going on in the broader community. So it's a - it can be a challenge. There's a lot going on and it is hard to funnel but we need to find a way to engage yes with our members in the region and our non-members that we hope we can convince that there's value in, you know, becoming part of the stakeholder group because for us it's important to have that diversity and input because what may be an issue for somebody in North America may not be an issue for you or vice versa. But still as a member of our stakeholder group we need to understand what those issues are so that we can help you in representation and, you know, with ICANN Board or GDD staff wherever we need to go. Yes.

Sue Schuler: Hi. The last time we did an outreach session I believe it was in Abu Dhabi, yes. And we've had the discussion around Google docs. And that's a tool that the registries uses for their comments. And I know that during that session some of you had said that there was some difficulty using Google docs. Is that still an issue? It is still an issue. Okay I just wanted to know if that had ever resolved obviously not.

Donna Austin: Okay, so that's I mean that's good information too because when we when we develop comments as well on a Google doc and if you can't access that that's not very helpful for you so that's, you know, something that we need to deal with. So I think, you know, moving forward we will try to enhance our Web site so our (unintelligible) info. And so, you know, maybe the first place to go even though the information will be overwhelming and I say, you know, we're probably talking in shorthand. But there may be information there that you find helpful and if there's a topic there that is of interest to you but you don't fully understand it then, you know, let us know and we can find a way to maybe have a call where we can try to explain it or, you know, do a short written document that will help that kind of base understanding and then maybe we can move forward with the call.

Sue Schuler: Just to ask is there a platform that is similar to that that you guys do use? I mean maybe it's something that we can look at but that is more universal? Thank you.

Man: (Unintelligible).

Sue Schuler: Okay, thank you.

Man: Sue said what I was going to say so.

Donna Austin: I need to be somewhere else in ten minutes which I understand is in the other building but I don't know how to get there yet.

Sue Schuler: It's a ten minute walk.

Donna Austin: It's a ten minute walk. So are there any other questions or feedback? Are you all going to the APAC session tomorrow? Okay, so I'll be there again giving the same speech that I've given today. But, you know, if you - also we have the Registries Stakeholder Group meeting which is all day on Tuesday so hopefully folks can come along to that. We have a pretty substantial agenda. We will spend quite a bit of time.

(Becky) is going to take us through the expedited policy process so we'll spend 90 minutes on that. And it's about the, you know, the process but also the various pieces to it to try to make sure that, you know, our membership understands, and what the next steps are and how we're going to manage that so that's a pretty important discussion. One of the other things that we will have some discussion around is about DNS abuse. So I think Kristin Dorrain and some Amazon and Jim Galvin from Afiliias are going to do I think it's a 20 minute or 30 minute session on that but something else that's pretty important for us.

And at the beginning of the day so at 9 o'clock we'll lead off with 20 minutes with David Conrad to talk about some DNS security issues. So ICANN's put some information on then - on their front page recently about some concerns about DNS security so we want to get a better understanding of that. So David will come and talk to us and we'll also talk about abuse. We have a session with (Russ) and (Carla) so GDD. And I think we're going to talk about public interest commitment dispute resolution process propose changes which is - yes among other things but that's controversial within our group and I can't remember what are the other topics.

But and then we have a joint session with the Registrar Stakeholder Group in the afternoon where we'll talk about some things of common interest but also prepare for our session with the ICANN Board. So that's, you know, be great to have you in the room for that because it's, you know, we - the Registries

Stakeholder Group has calls every other week for two hours. And we meet face to face during the first and third meetings of the year and it's a full day session. So it's one of the rare opportunities we have to meet face to face so it will be great to see you all there. Yes.

Woman: So on Tuesday morning we also have the finance team to share about the RySG comments on the budget. Also want to understand the local payment requirements from the members.

Donna Austin: Any other comments or questions for folks? Okay, so thanks everybody for coming. I guess we'll see some of you tomorrow and then hopefully we can just build on this some more see you in Bangkok and we'll try to find some better ways to engage. Thanks everybody.

END