

**Geographic Regions Review Working Group
TRANSCRIPTION
Tuesday 13 April 2010 at 1200 UTC**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Geographic Regions Review Working Group on Tuesday 13 April 2010 at 12:00 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at:

<http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-geo-regions-20100413.mp3>

On page:

<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#apr>

Present:

David Archbold
Olga Cavalli
Carlton Samuels
Cheryl Langdon-Orr

Staff:

Rob Hoggarth
Pablo Hinojosa
Julie Hedlund
Glen de Saint Gery
Gisella Gruber-White

Absent Apologies:

Janis Karklins
Fahd Batayneh
Paul Wilson
Bart Boswinkel
Zahid Jamil

Absent:

Adiel Akplogan

Dave Piscitello: Okay. I will start. Good morning everybody. It's (Dave).

I hope you managed to get email I sent out somewhat late last night with a very brief and rough agenda. And I suggested that we start by anybody who was at Nairobi giving some feedback on was regions raised at all, did you talk about it or not. (Rob), you went in the end, did you?

Rob Hoggarth: Yes sir. I was drafted in the last week to assist with ICANN's remote participation duties in place of (Nick Ashton-Hart).

I - from a staff perspective I actually only had the opportunity to talk with two people, one the GNSO in a general sense as another board member just in general about the effort of the group in passing primarily to just talk up the fact that the survey document was completed and we were hoping to be able to get all the translations concluded and just basically to give the folks a heads-up that the survey document would be out.

(Olga) and I have also included in the GNSO action items list the regular reminder to the GNSO that the survey document would be coming out shortly and getting the various constituency groups and just council leaders primed to be ready to get their communities to respond to it as its released. Unfortunately I didn't have time for any extensive other outreach during Nairobi on the topic.

Dave Piscitello: Thanks (Rob). (Sheryl), did it come up with ALAC?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr Not to - in a particular agenda item, no. There was one or two references to the matters of what would happen if there was a change in the current regional outline.

But we had a fairly full dance card on the (unintelligible). And it seemed to get even fuller with the number of requests coming in from the Noncommercial Stakeholders Group and other issues that needed to be dealt with.

One of the things that does strike me though when it occurred after Nairobi so I will confess this is not Nairobi homework but post-Nairobi homework is that at Nairobi we reviewed an opportunity to do a survey at the at-large structure level to do with ccNSO and (ILSS) and where there's a nexus within countries or not.

To wrap around that which is what we did discuss in Nairobi was whether we would do some particular questions in the survey that would make the needs of the general ALAC regional and (ILSS) needs. And from my perspective I was thinking about, you know, workgroup revitalization and things like that.

But I'm a great believer in the, you know, sort of do as much as you can when you have people's attention. So if we could somehow synchronize the sending out of the survey with when we are sending out that tool that would be very useful.

Dave Piscitello: What sort of timing do you have on your other requirement, (Sheryl)?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Sooner rather than later.

Dave Piscitello: Later.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I would be thinking we'd be putting it out no later than midmonth next month. Certainly end of this month would be my personal own.

Dave Piscitello: Okay.

(Carlton): The end of this month was what was originally passed.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yes. It's just that I don't know that the secretariat have met to see whether they have any particular questions to bring into it, that law. I was on Skype with (Mateas) earlier this evening on that matter. And if they can get any questions they want brought in before that then counting the end of this month is still doable. If not it'll be early next.

(Carlton): Okay.

Dave Piscitello: Anybody else got any comments - any other comments about Nairobi? I don't even know who was there in the end.

(Carlton): I was there. This is (Carlton). I was there. But in the ALAC, as (Sheryl) said, it was only peripherally brought up actually to (Sheryl) who made the mention of whether or not the changes were in the geographic regions, how it might impact us. So we didn't have any great conversation about it. It was just some (unintelligible) incidental.

Dave Piscitello: Yeah. Okay. (Olga), did you have anything?

(Olga): No. I didn't go. Sorry, (Dave). I had a problem in my family and had to stay in Buenos Aires.

Just what (Rob) said, we always include news about the (GO) activities and the reports to the GNSO. And they'll know about the survey that we're planning to do. That's all I know.

Dave Piscitello: Okay. All right, let's move on to the second item on the agenda which was indeed the surveys. (Rob), again I'm throwing this at you. Where do we stand as far as you're concerned?

Rob Hoggarth: We are, you know, as we have been for a couple of weeks now just inches away from having the survey completed. Our holdup unfortunately is Portuguese translation oddly enough of some of the terminology on the survey. Otherwise it is all ready and primed to go.

I don't know how we want to handle the timing. And perhaps I could work with (Mateas) on that, (Sheryl), to maximize the potential use of the document. But my mission...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: That would be...

Rob Hoggarth: Was...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: The best. That would definitely be the best because he's the key person with the RILA coordination now and must - I certainly want to see it benefit ALAC (unintelligible). I want it focused on the (ILSS) in the region so that'd be good.

Rob Hoggarth: Okay, great. Yeah. I will follow up and coordinate with him on the timing of that and update you guys later this week in terms of what we think timing looks like in terms of this survey coming together in the final critical pieces of hours. And then we'll coordinate those efforts.

I think that if we can dovetail that release with as much "promotion" as we can within each of the individual (SOs) and (ACs) that will engender some additional community interest in this topic. It seems like it's one that waxes and wanes.

I have continued to update the board in terms of this group's progress and some of the changes in the timetable. And what I've found interesting is that the board up till now has been fairly comfortable with just those updates.

I know, (Dave), when you and I chatted several weeks ago we still have, I think from a staff and a working group perspective, a real interest in bringing this effort to a conclusion if at all possible by the Latin America ICANN meeting later this year in December. And so I think the survey document can increase some community interest, some focus on the issue and we can get folks interested enough to provide us with comments and feedback and particularly as we move forward on the interim report, really get active community feedback to guide the final report drafting effort.

Dave Piscitello: Right. Now have we got a plan for how the survey is going to be released and disseminated?

Rob Hoggarth: When we had spoken about it prior to the final steps here I think the plan was that each individual team from an (SO) and (AC) would be responsible for, you know, promoting it and circulating it within their communities because you all know the best means and mechanisms for doing so.

We can certainly add an extra layer. And this is something that (Bart) and I had talked about just in terms of, you know, the ICANN Webpage announcement to support the individual communications that the individual working group members make.

Dave Piscitello: (Unintelligible). Yes.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Did we decide what...

Dave Piscitello: This is...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Sorry, (Sheryl) here. Did we decide what tool - survey tool you were using? Is it SurveyMonkey or what? Just thinking about...

(Carlton): Yeah.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: The collation of the metrics on the other end. That's all. Some are easier to work with than others.

Rob Hoggarth: Yeah.

Dave Piscitello: Right.

Rob Hoggarth: We went with the BigPulse survey team at (Nick)'s...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Okay.

Rob Hoggarth: Recommendation. And they've been very helpful, have been very flexible. I'm not sure in terms of how the calculations and the coordinations work. But we've got it set up where they'll be able to provide real-time reporting so that we can, you know, monitor how many people are responding, whether we need to, you know, give some extra prods to particular stake, you know, groups of...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yes.

Rob Hoggarth: Stakeholders or something like that.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yes. That's good because we've certainly - I mean we've worked with SurveyMonkey. But we have worked a lot with BigPulse. And they've managed to come up with ways to meet some fairly complex needs and desires of the at-large community.

Rob Hoggarth: Well and what they've assured me, (Sheryl), which is something that the working group discussed very early in the process is that with the method that we've set up that whether it's Twitter or other...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yes.

Rob Hoggarth: You know, mechanisms for promoting it that the participants, the actual respondents will be able to access and not have to go through, you know, passwords and a bunch of other...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yes.

Rob Hoggarth: Mumbo jumbo...

Dave Piscitello: Right.

Rob Hoggarth: To...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: (Unintelligible).

Rob Hoggarth: Get to the survey.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah. And they - and because they're able to use -- I was going to use the word redaction but that's wrong -- shortenings like little side bits and stuff of the URLs they - that the source things are working in Twitter and social networking tools as limited character space. That also does help, good.

Rob Hoggarth: Well I will - I'm committed to provide you all with an email update and - in terms of where all that is by the end of this week. And that'll be I hope something from me that says yes we are primed and ready. And then it's just a matter of coordinating the release with (Mateas) and if it would be helpful providing as we had originally discussed just some standard text for you all to use in whatever written communications you might want to use for the individual members of your communities.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Now will that be...

(Carlton): Yes.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Available in other languages as well?

(Carlton): Yes. That's what I was going to ask.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Oh sorry, (Carlton). I jumped the gun there (unintelligible).

(Carlton): No, no, no. We were on...

Rob Hoggarth: Yes. We want it...

(Carlton): The same page.

Rob Hoggarth: To be - yes, we clearly want it to be consistent with the seven - the six U.N. plus Portuguese languages that we're providing for it.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thank you.

(Carlton): Yeah.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: It's amazing how often those little details get missed.

(Carlton): Yes.

Rob Hoggarth: Yeah.

(Carlton): For our community that's a big thing.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: So you should have a very happy (Lacrala) after all of this, (Carlton), shouldn't we?

(Carlton): Yes, yes, yes, of course.

Dave Piscitello: Okay, good. Let's move on then to the two last items that are sort of associated. And that's to try and get some feedback from the - I think you call it experimental text, didn't you (Rob), that you circulated back in February looking at the approach for the remainder of the interim report.

Rob Hoggarth: I thought that was an appropriate way to refer to it, (Dave). And...

(Sheryl): I gave...

Rob Hoggarth: Well and I got...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: It's very diplomatic.

(Rob): Well and I did get some feedback from (Dave), and would really welcome perspectives from others. I think your feedback, (Dave), was that it might become unwieldy if we ended up pulling out each of the 25 and that I should try to perhaps combine a variety of perhaps like or common elements at least where there were some areas of commonality. And I'm delighted to do that if that's the will of the group.

I've sort of had the text in stasis awaiting further feedback in either the Nairobi meeting or this call to get some real-time feedback from you all as to whether we're even, you know, going in the right direction. And then I'm happy to take the laboring or producing more and then combine that with some of the work that you've been doing, (Dave). But I'm really starved and interested in what feedback folks have.

Dave Piscitello: Yeah. Thanks (Rob).

(Carlton): This is (Carlton).

Dave Piscitello: I was waiting for somebody else to leap in, so (Carlton), I heard your voice in the background.

(Carlton): Yes. This is (Carlton). I think text - there's - we have to try to do something to reduce the amount of verbiage. And probably if we do as (Dave) suggested, which I have supported from the first time, see if we could kind of pull some of the common elements together and have some reduction in the number of steps it might work a little better. But I think the basic thing is that we have to find a way to reduce the verbiage.

Dave Piscitello: Any other thoughts, comments?

Rob Hoggarth: I am then in that case prepared to proceed with just continuing to do the work. As I think I indicated in the original draft I circulated I expected that

there would be comments or criticisms, constructively of course, of some of the text or some of the language. And really the intent of the draft was really to get the format and sort of that approach laid out and experimented with rather than wordsmithing.

So perhaps on this next round - and I would imagine that I could provide you guys with an updated draft in the next ten days to two weeks where, you know, it's really fleshed out where I come out with and just attack all the items to be commented on, you know, those areas of interest. And then you guys could consider taking some, you know, red pens out and doing some real markup. So if that's an acceptable timetable I'll just start cranking away on that, (Dave).

Dave Piscitello: Yes. That's certainly acceptable. I'm still very much at the bottom of the pit with 10,000 things going on with me at the moment, very difficult time.

Anyway when I - just to amplify a little bit my - the comments that I made directly to you, (Rob), in that email really I wonder whether we can take the whole - the three groups, if you like, and take each group at a time -- so the first one I - just from memory was policy items -- and somehow just remind people what those policy items were and then run through comments on those, then pick up the next one. I can't remember what the middle one was. Then the last one was on number of regions, was it not, and do...

Rob Hoggarth: Yes.

Dave Piscitello: Something similar there so really squash them down together but provide some narrative that links back to the historical perspective and what the issues are.

Rob Hoggarth: Sure. I'll take a crack at that. I will, you know, pull it down to that, you know, the smallest possible groupings with the goal of those three. And then you guys can just react to that approach, you know, and start wordsmithing it.

I'm trying to be very careful. And I think I've mentioned this to you all before. As (Olga) knows, particularly in the GNSO we try to achieve the best possible balance between staff contributions and community contributions. So I don't want to, you know, be making or creating policy. I want you guys to be able to do that. So I'm trying to be as circumspect as possible in terms of conclusions or writing and trying to keep it as broad as possible to allow you guys to sort of pick out those more specific points.

Dave Piscitello: Yeah. As I've explained to you before, (Rob)...

Rob Hoggarth: I know.

Dave Piscitello: I passed on a concern for me. But I think in any case in the interim report we are not reaching, if you like, conclusions.

(Carlton): This is correct.

Dave Piscitello: We are...

(Carlton): Laying on the points.

Dave Piscitello: Absolutely. So I don't think you need to worry there. We're not creating policy at this stage.

Rob Hoggarth: Yeah but sometimes I - and I will be very conscious of that. Thank you.

Dave Piscitello: If not I'll wield the red pen.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I was going to say like (Rob), you think we wouldn't tell you? You actually think that this workgroup would not say just get back in your box, (Hogarth), you're wrong?

Rob Hoggarth: It's more of an efficiency calculation, (Sheryl). I don't want to spend, you know, three days working on something you're going to trash.

(Carlton): You're doing all right, (Rob). Don't worry about it.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah. Trust us. You'll know when you're not.

Dave Piscitello: I think you could take that as a vote of confidence, (Rob).

Rob Hoggarth: That would be the optimistic way of looking at it so I will.

Dave Piscitello: But at least you could be confident that we'll tell you. Okay. My plea is when we do get this out, please, please, please can you give us some feedback.

I know it's difficult and everybody's very busy. But we really do need some feedback on this stuff.

(Carlton): So you shall.

Dave Piscitello: Stony silence. Yeah?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: What would you like us to say? No?

Dave Piscitello: No, just a passive, meek acknowledgement.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I thought...

(Carlton): So we shall...

Dave Piscitello: I promise I will do my best.

(Carlton): (Dave). And so we shall.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Because if you expect anything meek from me, fine but okay.

Dave Piscitello: What would I do without you guys? Fine, have we any other comments to bring up because I think that we've looked at where we're going, we've got some timescales. We know what we've got to do.

Rob Hoggarth: Well this is (Rob). If I can sort of quickly interject and get some of your reactions. Looking at the calendar and the schedule I think we're still in good shape from a timing perspective to have a interim report completed and circulated by the Brussels meeting.

And as many of you may have observed looking at the annual ICANN calendar this period between Nairobi and Brussels is pretty brief. Yeah, it's a very tight time schedule.

And so I understand and appreciate that you all will have many other things to do in this interim time period. But I think that we should try as much as possible for the interim report document by Brussels and, you know, potentially even have the comment period open consistent with the process that you guys originally came up with so that there can be some good discussion in Brussels.

Because - when - because of the short time between Brussels and Nairobi, you then look at a - an extended period actually between Brussels and the Latin America meeting where, you know, it's almost five months. And...

Woman: Thank you.

Rob Hoggarth: We can be talking about that time table looking forward. But I think that that still gives you all sufficient time and necessary time to then take all the various comments that get generated by and a little bit after Brussels to get a final report done by the December timeframe.

Dave Piscitello: Yeah. Yeah. I think we're fortunate to have that long gap.

(Carlton): Yes. I -- this is (Carlton) -- I think it's doable, (Dave), the interim report. I think we pretty much have a clear understanding of what we would wish to put out for the interim report.

I think it's possible to put that to bed at Brussels. I think that by Brussels and then with the comment periods and any final report it looks doable to me that you could do it by December.

Dave Piscitello: Talking of deadline so -- sorry, (Dave) again -- what sort of timescales are we putting on the survey for responses?

(Carlton): Well...

Rob Hoggarth: Well and I'll talk with (Mateas) on that. I think what the group had discussed was shooting for as long a period as possible. And I certainly concur with that. And so that's why I wanted to chat with (Mateas) and I asked about the timing of the other survey.

If we go, you know, to like a mid-May time that would be difficult. But at the same time, you know, it - we could have a placeholder in the document...

(Carlton): For survey results?

Rob Hoggarth: For the results of the survey. And then we just have to have a fairly quick turnaround in terms of, you know, what we say about the survey responses.

It'll be very quick if I'm just providing statistics. If we wanted to have an analysis on top of that, that would be some additional time for drafting and for feedback from working group members.

Dave Piscitello: Yeah.

Rob Hoggarth: I mean I think...

Dave Piscitello: Really we're just -- sorry (Rob) -- we are just talking about reporting on the survey, not using the survey to guide anything in the interim report?

Rob Hoggarth: That's right.

(Carlton): So a placeholder in the document for survey results should work just fine. We - I don't think we were contemplating using any extensive analysis on the survey results as part of the interim report I don't think.

Dave Piscitello: Okay. So...

Rob Hoggarth: And I...

Dave Piscitello: I'm comfortable with that.

Rob Hoggarth: And this is (Rob). What I will do then is put together a timetable in the report from this meeting just to sort of lay that out and then get working group member feedback on that, you know, trying to basically after I talk with (Mateas), you know, try and come up with a timetable that would appear to work.

The only concern I would have in warning would be is that we may need to push the publication of the report later into June just to ensure that, you know, we can get all the translations and everything else completed. That might violate the spirit - not - it won't violate the spirit but the letter of the participation committee of the board recommendations about getting certain documents out prior to...

(Carlton): To the meeting, yeah.

Rob Hoggarth: An annual meeting. The only saving grace I think from my perspective on that would be that the document wouldn't be expected to be acted upon in Brussels but just to be discussed. And so I think that we wouldn't be violating the spirit of the rules if the document came out closer to the Brussels meeting because we wouldn't be expecting community action at the meeting.

Dave Piscitello: That's true. Yeah.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah.

Dave Piscitello: Well give me the decision. My action includes talking about that.

Rob Hoggarth: Yes but not, you know, a final, you know, wouldn't be a final board decision. There wouldn't be board consideration...

Dave Piscitello: Yes.

Rob Hoggarth: Or a decision.

Dave Piscitello: I would agree with you. I was just being picky about your word. That was all.

Rob Hoggarth: Okay. Well and I'll - and you guys can - what I want to do and as I'll include in the meeting's report is I'll have that language mainly to give everybody talking points.

But please, yeah, react back saying (Rob), that's not, you know, the way we should be writing this. I think that's - that would be very good feedback from working group members.

Dave Piscitello: Yeah. Well I'll actually go along (Rob). If you want to bounce things off me at any stage please give me a call or email.

Rob Hoggarth: Oh certainly.

Dave Piscitello: Okay. Maybe...

Rob Hoggarth: What I'll do is I'll...

Dave Piscitello: One less.

Rob Hoggarth: Well I'll just include all that in the meeting report from this call. When I - and I'll circulate on Friday with the information from (Mateas) and the straw man schedule for you all to react to along with those message points.

Dave Piscitello: Okay, (Dave) again. Any other business, ladies and gentlemen?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: No (unintelligible).

Rob Hoggarth: Not from my end.

(Carlton): Next meeting.

Dave Piscitello: Okay.

Rob Hoggarth: Would you guys like to schedule a specific time schedule? I - we - I've found with other working groups that if we just say every X week that can help sort of drive things...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Oh yes, please.

Rob Hoggarth: I'll work with (Gisela) then on, you know...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah.

Rob Hoggarth: A standard time.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I hate ad hoc meeting arrangements. I really - I hate them with a passion.

I'd rather have a meeting that is X periodicity and at X day and time and attend it and...

Man: (Unintelligible).

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: For 15 minutes than I would, you know, fluff about. I'm not big on fluffing about.

Dave Piscitello: I'm very happy with that too. It's (Dave).

(Carlton): (Unintelligible).

Rob Hoggarth: We'll shoot for this day and time perhaps and for three weeks and now. But (Gisela) and I will sort of coordinate that. This seems - this is a good time of day. I know that various working group members have challenges just based on their individual schedules.

But I think that between now and Brussels if we can just do that that'll put, I think, you know, maybe three more meetings on your guys' schedules. And that might be a - just a good sort of pacing of the effort between...

Dave Piscitello: Yeah.

Rob Hoggarth: Now and Brussels.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah. That's...

Dave Piscitello: Yeah.

(Carlton): Yeah.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: As I tell you, I'd rather...

(Carlton): That will work.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: You know, it doesn't matter whether we all convene and it only lasts 15 minutes.

Rob Hoggarth: Right.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: That's another step forward.

Rob Hoggarth: Yeah.

Dave Piscitello: I...

(Carlton): You can schedule it.

Dave Piscitello: Would think that as well.

(Carlton): I prefer that.

Dave Piscitello: (Rob), so we're saying same day of the week, same time on the day and every three weeks?

Rob Hoggarth: Okay.

Dave Piscitello: Or something like that.

Rob Hoggarth: And next call...

Dave Piscitello: That's good (unintelligible).

Rob Hoggarth: Next call will take us only five minutes to set up so the 15 minute meeting doesn't take 40.

Dave Piscitello: (Unintelligible).

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Well that's something else that actually (Gisela) and you will be having to sort out.

Rob Hoggarth: Yeah.

Dave Piscitello: Any other business? Last call?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Any other any other business.

Dave Piscitello: Yeah, indeed. Okay. There'll be no further business. I declare the meeting closed. Thank you one and all.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Thank you all.

(Carlton): Thank you all.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Bye.

(Carlton): Bye.

Dave Piscitello: Bye.

END