

**Policy Process Steering Committee (PPSC) Policy Development Process (PDP) Work
Team (WT)**

TRANSCRIPTION

Thursday 14 May 2009 14:00 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Policy Process Steering Committee Policy Development Process (PDP) Work Team (WT) meeting on Thursday, 14 May 2009, at 14:00 UTC Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at: <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-pdp-20090514.mp3>

On page:

<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#may>

(transcripts and recordings are found on the calendar page)

Participants on the Call:

David Maher - Registry c.

Wolf-Ulrich Knoblen - ISP

Paul Diaz - Registrar c.

Mike Rodenbaugh - CBUC

Sophia Bekele - Individual

Icann Staff:

Liz Gasster

Margie Milam

Marika Konings

Glen de Saint G ery - GNSO Secretariat

Absent apologies:

Jeff Neuman - Work Team chair - Registry c.

James Bladel - Registrar c.

Avri Doria - NCA GNSO Council chair

Marilyn Cade - Individual

Liz Williams - CBUC

Kristina Rosette - IPC

Gabriel Pineiro - NCUC

Coordinator: The recording has started ma'am.

Margie Milam: Thank you very much. Glen can you start the role call please?

Glen Desaintgery: Certainly Margie. On the line we have Paul Diaz, Mike Rodenbach, David Maher and Wolf-Ulrich Knoben. And on the Adobe Connect I think we have the same people, nobody else has been added. And for staff we have Margie Milam, Marika Konings, Liz Gasster and Glen Desaintgery. And we have apologies from Marilyn Cade, James Bladel and Jeff Neuman who had a sudden delay that he couldn't be on the call.

Margie Milam: Thank you.

Yes, Jeff had something come up urgently this morning, so we actually don't have anyone to Chair the call and I wanted to open it up to the group to see if anyone would like to be a Vice Chair and Chair the call today?

Any volunteers?

All right, I guess I can continue then if no one wants to volunteer.

Where we left off last week was that Liz was going to check with a few guest speakers to see whether they could come talk to us about IETS issues and some other (processes) in other groups. So Liz why don't you kind of report back on what you...

Liz Gasster: Well I did hear back from both Thomas Narton and Thomas Roessler and I think both would be willing to talk to us, definitely Thomas Narton but both had a conflict. They're both in Vienna for the Board Retreat today.

So I could schedule them both looks likely for the next call or at least pursue that if that's of interest to the group and then I'll do so which I believe would be next Thursday. Bu I understand might be a holiday or is a holiday in Europe so I wanted to get a quorum call for next week as well to make sure we're going to have critical mass before I confirm their availability.

And we may not have critical mass now in order to determine if we have critical mass next week.

Paul Diaz: Yes, for what's its worth this is Paul I'll be on the call next week but I was going to ask about doing any work today. I mean my really concern is there's only like four or five of us and there's almost as many staff as there are participants today its...

Mike Rodenbach: Yes, I got to say, it's Mike. Having these calls every week is too much.

Paul Diaz: It's hard.

Liz Gasster: Well I think the alternative issue is how can we get more done.

Paul Diaz: On the list.

Liz Gasster: On the list because your right and you know we can forgo today if it looks like we're not going to get enough done or not going to have sufficient participation. But then we really need to concentrate on how we can do this work on the list.

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben: Liz, it's Wolf speaking. The other thing I'm also a member in another group of (OC) and we have several kinds of things, problems (unintelligible) with too little people that are attending and so we decided about to have meeting at two weeks, every two weeks. One reason was okay, that people are have more chances not to meet together and the other one was there is something to do in between.

And this needs time also for the people not only to sit (at home), at their desk to work on that but also to if we need to coordinate a little bit. So, that would be - and then it came up with that team that I'm (within) so we are still are a few people but it seems to be that we are more successful in that right now. So if we have not too many meets.

Liz Gasster: Well I'm sure everyone; at least the staff would be okay with every tow weeks. But maybe we should talk a little bit about how we could be more productive in the off time.

Wolf-Ulrich Knoben Yes.

Margie Milam: Yes one of the problems that we have is that's there's just no activity on the list at the moment.

Man: Well what has been requested, you know, to be done on the list?

Liz Gasster: What I would say is that there, you know we're trying to go through for the plenary initiation phase on the phone and solicit comments and we've had very uneven participation on the phone. So at minimum it would be nice to hear on the list from the people who aren't on the phone about what they see as we add comments and notations to the planning and initiation phase and your right Mike for those who are

participate on the call there haven't really action items. But I certainly would have hoped to hear from people who...

Man: What I think maybe what might help is if we're more clear with the list, you know that was discussed on the call, its now out for comments, its going to yell out form comments for a week or for 10 days or for two weeks and at that point we're going to consider it done and consensus. Unless there have been negative comments.

Liz Gasster: All right but I think part of the problem might be in addition to not being so clear in terms of asking people who weren't on the call for comments that's in our discussion on the call. They have just been that discussion, we haven't gotten to the point where we really have a concrete proposal that we're looking for reaction from, its just I would say more data dump or a thought dump from people.

Which is fine that it is at an initial stage but we may be getting to the point where we need to be more concrete in how we t up the issues that we're asking for in addition to asking people to respond.

David Maher: Yes, this is David. I go along with that, but I have an even more concrete suggestion perhaps that might be a burden to staff. You can tell me, but Marika yesterday sent out the Wiki notice for review.

My suggestion would be that they tomorrow or in a day or two, the staff send out the Wiki notice, the reference to where it is and a very just a very short list, here are the open issues from the last call and looking at a, lets see, the things that are in Red with a date April 30th, here's (unintelligible) suggestion. And that way and ask for comments on those topics.

Marika Konings: David we don't have to do that in the same way as we're doing now for the bylaws discussions, so basically sending out separate emails for separate issues so people can start having a discussion on their specific questions or?

David Maher: Yes, I think that would be even more helpful, yes to cut it apart into pieces so that people who have concerns can make it and answer more easily.

Marika Konings: So maybe that's something that staff can take back and work on and try to get moving so that group (unintelligible) would decide to take the next (comment) two weeks and there should be hopefully sufficient time to have some substantial discussion on the list on some of the outstanding questions and...

David Maher: Looking at the current (PDP) list, you know I do think that today we're really not going to make progress. We just don't have enough people to deal with (Bertram) suggestions in a substantive way. And like wise for the initial determination questions that that I really think need more input from more people. More then we have on this call.

Margie Milam: Okay, so it sounds like we do have some consensus that that's not a bad approach to do the email questions.

David Maher: Yes.

Margie Milam: To at least get dialog from people who are unable to take the call. And then the question of the next call. Sounds like we probably need to take a doodle Glen to see who would be available. For all of you on the

call right now would you all prefer next week or the week after given that it's a holiday in Europe?

Glen Desaintgery: Sorry Margie the week after is the Counsel Call the 28 of May.

Margie Milam: Oh, so we would just to have it a totally different date then.

Glen Desaintgery: Yes.

Margie Milam: Okay, okay.

Man: What time is the Counsel call Glen?

Glen Desaintgery: The counsel call is at; it is exactly the same time as this call.

Man: Oh it is, okay.

David Maher: I have a problem next week.

Man: The 28th.

Margie Milam: So then send a doodle for the week after that is the suggestion that must people would prefer not next week?

Liz Gasster: But the doodle for be a different time or?

Glen Desaintgery: A different time on Thursday, on the same day as the Counsel call or a different day?

Margie Milam: Yes, it seems fine from my perspective but I don't know.

Liz Gasster: That may be a different day in order to get not too be late and.

Glen Desaintgery: Friday?

Liz Gasster: Friday is fine for me.

David Maher: Yes.

Paul Diaz: I'm flexible as well. I'd just remind folks remember when we first started this group one of the criticism was we were bouncing different days and was very hard for people to kind of get set in their minds now its such a such a day, it must be PDP time.

You know if we do this, just make sure its very clear to people that hey, especially since we didn't have one of these meeting last week or excuse me, you know but having this today as a full team meeting we're doing this as sort of a special one. And they try to get back to Thursday but as Mike and others were saying maybe move to a bi-weekly schedule to try to keep a particular day so that folks kind of pencil that in or always block time off.

Margie Milam: And I think the general consensus, was this time generally accept for the GNSO calls is usually that. So my suggestion would be to keep this date whenever we can. This date and time, Thursday morning.

Paul Diaz: Yes because remember also if you push it back till later in the day it becomes difficult for the Europeans and it becomes really difficult for colleagues in the far East, Australia in particular I'm thinking.

Margie Milam: Okay. Well that sounds like a plan. Anyone have any other questions or suggestions?

David Maher: Sounds good to me.

Margie Milam: All right, well thank you all for participating. I'm sorry we didn't have the critical mass. And Glen will send out a doodle for next week, or I'm sorry the doodle is next week or the week after?

Glen Desaintgery: The week after, (unintelligible) for any day in the week after that will be the week of the 21st, because the 28 is the Counsel call. Unless you want me to try at a later time, I don't know the 29?

Margie Milam: Well try it for both.

Glen Desaintgery: Okay.

Paul Diaz: Yes.

David Maher: Yeah.

Margie Milam: So joy of the doodle.

Glen Desaintgery: Okay, I'll do that.

Margie Milam: Okay, thanks.

Man: Thanks.

Margie Milam: See everybody.

Man: Thank you guys.

Margie Milam: Bye-bye.

Man: Bye-bye.

END