

**Policy Process Steering Committee (PPSC) Policy Development Process (PDP)  
Work Team (WT)  
TRANSCRIPTION  
Thursday 03 June 2010 at 13:30 UTC**

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Policy Process Steering Committee Policy Development Process (PDP) Work Team (WT) meeting on Thursday 03 June 2010 at 13:30 UTC. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at <http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ppsc-pdp-20100603.mp3>

On page:

<http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#jun>

(transcripts and recordings are found on the calendar page)

**Participants on the Call:**

Jeff Neuman - Registry Stakeholder Group - Work Team Chair

Alan Greenberg – ALAC

Alex Gakuru - Non Commercial Stakeholder Group

Gabriel Pineiro - Non Commercial Stakeholder Group

Tatiana Khramtsova - Registrar Stakeholder Group

Paul Diaz - Registrar Stakeholder Group

**ICANN Staff:**

Margie Milam

Marika Konings

Glen de Saint Gery

Liz Gasster

**Absent apologies:**

Avri Doria - Non Commercial Stakeholder Group

James Bladel – Registrar Stakeholder Group

Coordinator: We are now recording.

Gisella Gruber-White: Thank you. Good morning, good afternoon to everyone. On today's PPSC PDP call on Thursday, the 3rd of June we have Jeff Neuman, Alex Gakuru, Gabriel Pineiro, Paul Diaz, Alan Greenberg. From staff we have Marika Konings,

Glen de Saint Gery, Margie Milam, Liz Gasster. I don't have any apologies noted. If I could also please just remind everyone to state their names when speaking for transcript purposes. Thank you, over to you Jeff.

Glen de Saint Gery: Jeff, sorry, this is Glen. We have apologies from Avri.

Gisella Gruber-White: Thank you.

Jeff Neuman: Okay thank you. And I think also James Bladel sent apologies if I remember; I think he may have just sent it to me, possibly Marika.

Gisella Gruber-White: Noted, thank you.

Marika Konings: Yes.

Jeff Neuman: Okay thank you. Welcome everyone to the call. And hopefully this will be more of a light call since our report actually came out last - or a couple days ago. So thank you Marika and ICANN staff for helping to get all that together so quickly and thank you to everyone for making comments on it.

So now we have a report out there. The comment period ends - when is the comment period over? Anybody know that off the top of their head?

Marika Konings: Forty-five days. I think 15th of July if I'm not mistaken.

Jeff Neuman: Okay. So that's out there. And, you know, now our main task is to prepare for the Brussels meeting where we will be - we will have a meeting on Sunday in Brussels. There will be a sole PPSC meeting on that Sunday from - during the first hour; the time slot is 10:00-12:00 or is it 11:00-1:00? I keep forgetting - on that Sunday.

Marika Konings: On Sunday it's 11:00-1:00.

Jeff Neuman: Okay so from - what we're going to try to do is the full PPSC, the steering committee group meet from 11:00-12:00 to talk about the working group report that's out there along, you know, the final report that's there. And then do a PDP work team meeting from 12:00-1:00 to basically do further preparation for the workshop on the new - it's called the new GNSO policy development process that's taking place from 2:00 until 3:30 local time in Brussels on Wednesday, June 23.

It follows the vertical integration workshop so hopefully some of the, you know, we know the vertical integration workshop will be widely attended and hopefully we can convince people to stay on to this policy development process workshop.

And so the main agenda item for today and then also for the Sunday meeting in Brussels, is to figure out what we're going to say at this workshop and figure out how to make sure that we utilize the time most efficiently to allow for feedback - especially on areas in the report where we specifically asked for that feedback either because we were split or we just kind of punted the issue.

So with that said the first thing I want to ask is at least for the people on the call then I'll send a follow up email is everyone on this call - or is there anyone on this call that's not going to be in person in Brussels on that Sunday and/or on that Wednesday?

Okay, Alex, you have your hand raised?

Alex Gakuru: Yes, I have not finalized by sponsorship but I hope to be there so at this point in time I'm sort of floating up not knowing whether I'll be there but I do believe that I should make it depending on some funding I'm trying to finalize from sponsor. Thank you.

Jeff Neuman: Okay please let us know and hopefully you can get that. In either case we're going to set up some remote participation. Obviously the workshop will have remote participation and we're also going to try - we were just talking about before the recording started we were talking about remote participation for that Sunday meeting having it, you know, at least Adobe Connect and an audio stream if not, you know, two-way communication depending on who's going to be participating remotely.

Alan, you have your hand raised? You maybe on mute Alan.

Gisella Gruber-White: Alan's on mute.

Alan Greenberg: I didn't remember putting myself on mute, maybe I did. I was just going to point out that being in Brussels is not necessarily the same as being able to attend those meetings.

Jeff Neuman: Thank you, Alan, that's a good point. So do you have - so Sunday an ALAC...

Alan Greenberg: Yeah, in my case Sunday's ALAC and I'll be flitting between meetings. And I haven't looked at the hour by hour schedule at this point so I'm not sure on Sunday.

Jeff Neuman: Okay well let us know and...

Alan Greenberg: Yeah.

Jeff Neuman: But certainly Wednesday you're good?

Alan Greenberg: I think so. Again there were things tentatively scheduled. This is certainly one I want to be at if possible. If I'm presenting somewhere else I may have a conflict.

Jeff Neuman: So what it looks like is there may be for you at least on the current schedule it looks like from 2:00-3:00 you should - there's nothing else conflicting with it. From 3:00-4:00 though is the at large registrar's meeting so I'm not sure if that's...

((Crosstalk))

Glen de Saint Gery: I'm not sure that's been confirmed yet, Jeff.

Jeff Neuman: Okay, all right. Well that's currently what's on the schedule so if there is any conflict it's going to be the last half hour for you I guess.

Alan Greenberg: Yeah, it just means I can't take a lead role on any of these and I'll try to be there if I can.

Jeff Neuman: Okay. With that said so everyone else seems like - we'll send a question out to the list so, Paul, you already said you're going to be there, I'm going to be there. I'm assuming all of ICANN staff will - or at least the ones on this call will be there. So it seems like we'll - and I know Avri will be there and James will be there. So we should have some pretty good attendance.

The next issue then is so we have an hour and a half for the workshop. My thought was - and I'm throwing this out to the group because it's just kind of my brainstorming on the session was really to have multiple screens up there for people to be able to view to have constantly in the background the visual charts that we could keep referring to them depending on what stage we're talking about.

We'll have Adobe Connect up on another screen. And then on a third screen is to basically have basic bullet points from the report that we want to highlight for comment.

And what I was thinking on that was to not just do the straight, you know, spend 45 minutes or an hour presenting the report and the recommendations, but more to have an interactive session which is to take recommendations and not necessarily in the order in which they are in the report but in order to get kind of the most participation to stimulate discussions really start with some of the more controversial ones; the ones we know that'll generate a bunch of discussion or that we think are most likely to generate the discussion.

This way if we can start out with people towards the beginning of the meeting participating that kind of leads to more people participating later on in the meeting as well.

You know, so obviously the other option is to just take issue by issue and recommendation by recommendation and go through those and see if there's any feedback.

But I thought it might be better to kind of do the controversial ones up front to - even if it means that we don't get to all of them it will at least get people to think about what's in that part of the report, if not the entire report. And then hopefully encourage people to say, you know, this is something I do want to comment on during the comment period.

The other thing I wanted to add was that I do not want to do all the presenting. I certainly could do some of it. I can do as much as you guys want me to. But - excuse me - it'd be great to have people that are actually working group members to present some of these items.

And it would also be great to have people that aren't necessarily always presenting in other areas or asking questions to get up there and have some of the limelight and actually doing some of the presenting as well.

So is there anybody that would like to - on this call that thinks that this is something that sounds good, you know, have any recommended changes? Anybody want to volunteer to get up there and do a part of the report?

I hear crickets in the background. Ah, Paul, yes.

Paul Diaz: Hey Jeff. I just wanted to say the presentation on Sunday or the presentation during the week? In either event I don't want to volunteer myself right now because looking at the schedule and I'm penciling a lot of things it looks like I have double bookings in both slots already.

I will - this is a priority for me; I will try and be here for this one but I can't guarantee. So for now, you know, I don't want to sign myself up because I may have conflicts.

Jeff Neuman: Okay...

((Crosstalk))

Paul Diaz: I'm sorry, but to your point I agree, while you've done an awesome job and certainly would think you'd want to be the first speaker - the intro, hey, I'm the Chair, etcetera, it is a good idea to try and mix it up - if nothing else, just so that those who participate understand that it's not the Jeff Neuman show it's a pretty broad group.

Jeff Neuman: Yeah I think that's great. So on the first point, so we're talking about the Wednesday session, the Sunday session is just a set time from 11:00-12:00 to just further refine some of the slides and some of the presentation materials for Wednesday.

It's important to be there especially if you're going to be - if anyone's going to be presenting to be there on Sunday. But we're really talking about the

Wednesday session now. And hopefully, you know, I'd like to see you, Paul, if you could, you know, get up there and do a couple of the items.

But I completely agree with you it's not, you know, one of the issues that when we came into this group was the - sort of the fear that because I'm a contracted party, you know, there was some reluctance about having me serve as Chair which I completely understand since it's the policy that we - that determines consensus policies, it's the process.

So, you know, you're absolutely right, one of the reasons I'd like to just not do that much of the presenting is because of that, that the initial concern and, you know, not presenting it to the community as this is a contracted party presenting the process of how his contract is going to be changed.

So that's kind of one of the things I'd like to avoid. So it'd be great if, you know, Paul, I know you're a contracted party too and James but still having...

Paul Diaz: I'm glad you do remember that Jeff, yeah.

Jeff Neuman: Right. But having, you know, different people from, you know, whether it's, you know, Alan or Avri or Alex, you know, having some non-contracted parties get up there and do some of the speaking would be fantastic. And we certainly have enough people that were participating actively in the group that could do that.

And I could throw that out to the list since it's obviously putting a lot of people on the spot here. Paul, did you have another comment or is that still the same...

Paul Diaz: Yeah, just a follow up that Alan and I, I mean, we'll have the conflict the last half hour of this meeting, you know, since at large registrars is scheduled to meet.



And since vertical integration is right before this you know how ICANN goes, you know, the sessions go - it will almost certainly run over. So this particular session that's scheduled might get compressed for us. That's really my concern about not formally signing up right now.

Jeff Neuman: Yeah, so what I'm trying...

Paul Diaz: With all that said it may be really helpful - Avri honestly would be probably the most obvious spokesperson other than yourself for the group because she's not, you know, tied to any - she's not a contracted party. And she's, you know, probably the next most steeped in all the things we've said; really understands the process and what we're trying to do both what we've done historically and where we're trying to go with it.

I mean, my vote would be strongly to encourage her, try to recruit her to step up and do some of the presentation because it just seems she's the obvious one and the most effective speakers.

Jeff Neuman: Well since both James and Avri aren't here then maybe we should just appoint them through our traditional appointment to be the spokespeople.

Alan Greenberg: James is going to have the same problem as...

Paul Diaz: James has the same problem, yeah, for sure.

Jeff Neuman: Yeah, so, yeah, no I understand. You know what, and one of the good things is I'm trying to make sure that this follows the vertical integration in the same room so that, you know, whatever happens it's all of us in the, you know, obviously I'm on the vertical integration group and we would like to be there the whole time as well so if they follow each other that'd be great.

I think Glen said earlier on that the registrar's at large meeting is not - that time slot is not confirmed so we'll wait to hear about that. So I'll send out a

call to, you know, we'll just have to hear the firm schedule is and when everything's finalized.

But certainly then, you know, even if you guys are wedged in the middle or something it'd be great to even if you're not presenting is to have - to be up or be around at a mic or somewhere to answer some of the questions as to why we recommended what we did if that comes up.

Alan Greenberg: All right.

Jeff Neuman: And so I'll be looking for the work group to - the working group probably to sit together if possible or to be in front of the room or - I'm not sure what the layout of the room is going to be depending on which one we're in. But certainly to be accessible so that we all can speak to why we decided to recommend things the way we did.

Alan Greenberg: Yeah, Jeff, I think that part is perhaps more important than chairing it.

Jeff Neuman: Yeah, I agree. And so it'd be great that if someone asks a question or provides feedback I can look over and say, you know, Alan, do you want to address that. Or hopefully you'll raise your hand and - without having me to call on you guys for the - we could do it either way.

So as far as the format itself I think, Glen, if you're still on, or Marika, if you remember I think Glen said that it's in the current room that it's scheduled in it's going to be setup kind of like a horseshoe in the middle of the room?

Marika Konings: No, this is Marika. We can actually request - I think for the GNSO session, the weekend, it will be set up like that but I haven't principally asked for - I think they call it classroom set up so you'll have some tables in the front where the presenters will sit and the rest will, you know, you'll have the audience there.

But if there's another - the group would like to have it set up differently. I think that way we can fit the most people in that room if we don't manage to switch it to a bigger room.

Alan Greenberg: And vertical integration will surely be that form so if you want it in the same room it has to be.

Jeff Neuman: Yeah, I think so right now the room that it's in which is the same one the vertical integration is in can only seat really tightly 80 people which I think is an issue for vertical integration. Just the committee itself is like 60-something people.

Marika Konings: This is Marika. I've just submitted a request to see if it's possible to move to a bigger room. So we're working on it.

Jeff Neuman: Right, so if it is the bigger room though that's auditorium style?

Marika Konings: I don't know...

Glen de Saint Gery: Yes, the bigger room is auditorium style, yes, yes. But I think that room if we have it classroom style can fit in more than the squeeze of 80. It's just with that U-shaped for the Council that it's going to be difficult.

Jeff Neuman: Okay.

Glen de Saint Gery: Because when you change the setup of a room you can usually add some more people in it. I've said that most of these meetings will be 100 people.

Jeff Neuman: Okay. So we'll get that summed up. But even if - so if it is in the bigger room if it's - even if it's auditorium style then my assumption would be we would just have kind of towards the front, you know, maybe a table where the working group members would sit.

Alan Greenberg: Or a subset of them.

Jeff Neuman: Or - right, or a subset of people that are - right, people that are available that could do it. So we'll talk logistics offline, Marika and Glen, and then figure out the best way to do that. But as far as the presentation itself I'd really like to encourage as much feedback as possible.

And I think, you know, what has not worked in the past that well is just having people just do presentations on the report itself. I'd like to maybe do 5, 10 minutes at most up at the beginning talking about, you know, what the group was designed to do and what we, you know, the way we set out to do what we did.

And then, you know, also with a introduction to that, that big visual chart in the report on the different steps and how everything relates to each other, just to go through that and ask people, you know, when they're working on the - or looking at the report to look at that chart as it's a helpful way to - as you're thinking about the big picture for all these issues.

And then really to jump into what we think are kind of the most - the items that we really thought were critical to get public input on. And a lot of those recommendations we actually say in the recommendation itself in the executive summary, you know, we're looking for feedback on this issue.

So after this call Marika is going to help put together a list of those items that are in that bucket. And then we can, as a group, over email kind of prioritize those as to which ones we really think feedback is important on or the session on Wednesday in Brussels.

Does that sound like a plan?

Alan Greenberg: It's a good start.

Jeff Neuman: So what I think - what I'm hoping we can do is - to not have to have this call next week to give people back an hour and a half and do some of the reading that's required for this Brussels meeting which is incredible this time around.

And I know we saw that every time but I think this time we've really - all of us have a lot of catching up to do. But certainly spend the time on Sunday kind of getting some of the slides together. We're going to - Marika and I are going to take a shot at some of the slides prior to the meeting so that we can show them on Sunday and then work on refining them.

But what we'll do over the list is go through the issues that we've set out in the report as wanting feedback. And then I'll ask everyone to kind of rank them in terms of what they think would be A, what we need the most comments on to help our group and, B, what they think will be the most stimulating conversation-wise to talk about.

Alan Greenberg: To the extent possible if a presentation - the PowerPoint is ready ahead of time it would be nice to distribute it to this list also.

Jeff Neuman: We will make every effort to have that happen.

Alan Greenberg: I read mine on plans; I understand so...

Jeff Neuman: Yeah.

Alan Greenberg: ...I said if.

Jeff Neuman: Yeah, I think we're all kind of - a lot of us are in the same boat on that one and especially with the long flight for some of us over there. And Marika, you have the longest trip of all of us right?

Marika Konings: Yeah, definitely, it's going to be very tiresome.

Jeff Neuman: So is there anything else anybody wants to cover? Has everyone - obviously seen the reports? Anybody have any - one thing I'd like to ask since 45 days is - it sounds like a long period of time but it really isn't especially once, you know, the ICANN meeting ends you're talking about now you're in the last week of June before people can, you know, really start focusing on comments.

And, Marika, how many comment periods end around that same time?

Marika Konings: This is Marika. I actually haven't checked but I presume all the new gTLD comment periods will end as well around that same time. And we'll have as well after the ICANN meeting two comment periods opening for IRTP and post-expiration which will only be 20 days. So they're going to be ending a little bit later than that as well.

Jeff Neuman: Yeah, so that's obviously going to be taxing on a lot of people to have to file comments on. So one thing I would encourage is if each of you could go back to your relative groups and you're probably doing this anyway but really, you know, get them to focus on - hopefully get them to focus on this report and if there are certain areas that you think that they should pay attention to more than others.

I'm really counting on the working group members to solicit your group's thoughts on this because I think, you know, obviously our next task is to assemble all of the comments and prepare a final report that would go to the PPSC.

And as we've said all along the last thing any of us want is to be surprised at comments that come in at the PPSC level. I'm fine with getting any comments now from the community on what they think of the report even if it's a completely different direction than the way we've been heading; that's great, that would be a great outcome.

But to get those comments for the first time by PPSC members as opposed to the community or at this stage would be obviously a setback for the group. So to the extent you can all socialize this report with your stakeholder groups, constituencies during the constituency day that would be great.

If anyone needs help in doing a presentation on this stuff during the constituency day or stakeholder group day let me know or let Marika know and we can sort of hopefully maybe help you to get some slides for that as well.

So with that does anybody have any comments just opening up the floor? All right with that said, Marika, do you have anything to add?

Marika Konings: Nope I don't think so. Just to add I hope to get first draft of the slides to you some time next week so indeed with the objective of hopefully being able to get it out to the list before the Brussels meeting or at least that people can have a look at it on the plane so we can, you know, work on it in the session on Sunday.

Jeff Neuman: Okay. And why don't - Marika, why don't you and I at least for the two of us keep this timeslot open next week and then we can at least have a call on those slides at this time.

Marika Konings: That's fine.

Jeff Neuman: Okay, and if anybody else wants or has an interest in joining us in that let me know. I will be sending out a formal call to the list and ask people to volunteer for the presentations.

Alex, if you could make it to the Brussels meeting it'd be great to have you be able to sit up there with us and even though you're a relatively newcomer I

think you'd be a great voice to have talking about some of the elements of the report.

So with that said I thank everyone for showing up and you've got an hour back to do whatever you need to do.

Alan Greenberg: Bless you.

Jeff Neuman: Thank you everyone.

Alan Greenberg: Thanks. Thanks Jeff and Marika for all the hard work.

((Crosstalk))

Marika Konings: Thanks.

Jeff Neuman: Bye.

Paul Diaz: Thanks guys.

END