ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 09-23-09/1:15 pm CT Confirmation #9237705 Page 1

Policy Process Steering Committee (PPSC) Working Group Model (WG) Work Team (WT) TRANSCRIPTION Wednesday, 23 September 2009 18:00 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Policy Process Steering Committee Working Group Model (WG) Work Team (WT) meeting on Wednesday 23 September 2009, at 18:00 UTC Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. The audio is also available at: http://audio.icann.org/gnso/gnso-ppsc-20090923.mp3
On page:

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/index.html#sep

(All MP3's and transcriptions can be found on the calendar page).

Present:

J. Scott Evans - IPC Work Team Chair Avri Doria Nacho Amadoz Cheryl Langdon-Orr S. Subbiah - Individual

Staff:

Marika Konings Liz Gasster Glen de Saint Gery Gisella Gruber-White

Absent apologies:

Ken Bour Iliya Bazlyankov

J.Scott Evans: Okay. This is J.Scott Evans. And we could have a roll call please.

Gisella Gruber-White: Yes certainly, Jay Scott. Good morning, good evening to everyone. On today's call we have Jay Scott Evans, Nacho Amadoz, Avri Doria, Cheryl Langdon-Orr. From Staff we have Marika Konings, Glen de Saint Gery, Liz Gasster, myself, Gisella Gruber-White and apologizes from Ken Bour. Please can I just remind everyone to say their names for transcripts purposes.

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 09-23-09/1:15 pm CT Confirmation #9237705

Page 2

J.Scott Evans:

All right. This is Jay Scott again. Marika, if you would just briefly take us through in one or two minutes what you all covered last week and then we can move on to today.

Marika Konings:

In the last meeting we covered the remaining sections of the document. If I recall correctly I think that was from Section 2.4.1. As we only had a limited number of people on the call we did decide not to go into too much detail on the decision making methodology and the problem issue escalation resolution processes as those two elements will come back again in the (unintelligible) guidelines and we thought those were, you know, quite important concepts that would benefit from a broader discussion with more members on the call.

So we went through the rest of the document and those changes or discussions that we had then are reflected in the document that is up now on Adobe Connect.

J.Scott Evans:

Okay,

Marika Konings:

So we didn't do a complete run through yet and I think the idea was to do that on this call, to check if all the changes that were made, you know, reflect the discussions and the recommendations made. I did post it to the list a couple of days ago with a request to post any suggestions or add-ins or comments to the list, but I haven't seen anything posted.

J.Scott Evans:

Neither have I and it seems at this point that we are at a juncture where and I just put this out to the group for consideration that what we need to do at this juncture I would recommend is that we circulate this document for consideration with the understanding that the sections that have brought cross references back to the working group guidelines will need refinement, but we need to jump over to the working group guidelines and get those completed first. But I would love to hear other perspectives, because if I just heard Marika correctly, both of the two areas, the 2.4.3 which is issue escalation and resolution and rules of engagement, some of those areas are

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 09-23-09/1:15 pm CT

Confirmation #9237705

Page 3

going to be covered in that other document more specifically and just hit here likely with an understanding with a cross reference back to the document. Is that correct?

Marika Konings:

That is correct. And another comment or question I would like to post to the group on that, because Staff has been working on a draft of the working group guidelines and we had some internal reviews on that and we were actually discussing, especially because they're so, you know, different areas that require cross references if it doesn't make sense to integrate the two documents into one, you know, complete guide, let's say, specifically for working groups ended up having two documents, while you might run the risk that, you know, if one document changes the other one doesn't get updated or things like that. So we can still of course now treat them as two documents that we're reviewing, but you know, our question will be, doesn't it make sense that at the end of the day to just integrate it all and have one place for everything. All the information is contained, so that also updates, you know, our reflected across the whole document.

J.Scott Evans:

Others?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Cheryl, here. Jay Scott I type. Yes, I think we're close if not ready for the sections to be looked at and then taken to the committee at the all point of view, because we certainly do need a unified outcome as far as I'm concerned at least.

J.Scott Evans:

Okay, so what I suggest at this point is that we send this around to everyone saying that, you know, Marika, that this is the final text with the understanding that the two sections that have heavy cross reference to the guideline document would need tweaking, but it requires the guideline document to be finished first.

And but except for those two sections this is the final wording that we're proposing and so everyone needs to get comfortable with that, because we're

going to do - I would like to do a call for consensus on every - all the language and everything, except the two sections that rely heavily on the working group guidelines. So in other words this document will be 90% finished if we can get consensus. Do people agree? I see Cheryl does.

Avri Doria:

Yeah.

J.Scott Evans:

And then we'll - but one of the things is and I'm looking here for some help from others. How do we get more people to show up?

Cheryl L-O:

Well there's always bribery.

J.Scott Evans:

I have no problem next week if we start on the working group guidelines and this means that people show up and we just plow through it, but then we run into that problem where people argue it's not complete.

Cheryl L-O:

Yeah, all you can do is just remind people of the importance, double check if there is an issue with some form of logistics. Is the timing, is there something else wrong? And if you get close to saying we're about to do a call for consensus, it usually is a motivator.

J.Scott Evans:

Okay. Well why don't we do that. I don't think there's any necessities for us to drill down into this. I think we need to look at the other documents. And so far I know four of us met in Sidney and went through a lot of the document, but we're probably going to have to do that exercise through the rest of the document.

Cheryl L-O:

Yes.

J.Scott Evans:

And we'll begin that next week. But I would like to - my goal is to then coming from me, I'll send an email to the list. I'll explain this game plan and I won't do a call for consensus until after next week to give people a week to look at everything and sort of get it in their head of where we're headed. And at the

end of next week's call I'll do - so I'm giving them a warning, before I do a call for consensus. Does that sound like a viable path forward?

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Cheryl here. Sounds like an excellent plan to me.

J.Scott Evans: Okay. So that's where I think we are at this stage and I think we need, since

we're going to go to another document it's only fair that we not do that today, because I think we need to give other people the opportunity to know that's what our schedule is, so if they have more - if they for some reason have

done some sort of value judgment - decided that's the more important

document they want to be involved in, they have an opportunity to know that's

where we're headed.

Marika Konings: This is Marika. If I can just ask a question for those that are on the call,

whether they have any comments or whether they had a chance to review the

changes made and they're happy with how, you know, the discussion has

been reflected in the document.

Avri Doria: Hi, this is Avery. I read it and I thought it was cool. I thought it was pretty

much pretty good. I sent a few comments I had to the list, I think.

Jay Scott Evans: Yes.

Avri Doria: And otherwise I was - and I mean even those they were all relatively minor

things, except for perhaps one and that was minor anyway. But I thought it

was fine. I thought, you know, you captured it.

Jay Scott Evans: So...

Avri Doria: So people don't expect me to be this agreeable.

J.Scott Evans: I think you've done a very good job. What we actually did until we get to these

two major sections. It's been a lot of smoothing off rough edges to make sure

that things are expressed in an appropriate manager. As for - I don't see that we've made huge substantive leaks and we've relied heavily on those members of this group that have been in similar type forums before. Cheryl from (Alax), Jonne from other working group model organizations and Avery from the same perspective as well as Academia and (unintelligible). So I think it's in pretty good shape. I think that we need to move to the next document, but I think you've done a real good job of capturing.

Marika Konings: Thank you.

Jay Scott Evans: And is this red line PDF version available on the Wiki?

Marika Konings: Yes it is, both in Word and in PDF, but what I can do is basically produce a

clean version so people can see the revised versions on the Wiki with highlighting those two sections that will review the working group guidelines,

also highlighting there's just one section on the statement of interest and disclosure of interest section that will need to be updated according to the

final text of the OSC work team that is looking at that.

J.Scott Evans: Okay. Subbiah this is J.Scott.

Subbiah: Yeah, I just joined. I just - sorry you were just pointing out. I just caught you at

the tail end, you were just pointing out that the document is kind of finished

and you're happy with it. Is that the jest of it?

J.Scott Evans: We're happy with those sections that aren't within heavy reliance on the other

documents.

Subbiah: I understand.

J.Scott Evans: And that we believe that before we can finalize those sections that have

heavy reliance on the guidelines for the working groups we need to finalize

the guidelines.

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 09-23-09/1:15 pm CT Confirmation #9237705

Page 7

Subbiah: I just wanted to say that from my point of view, from the last time where we

left off with Marika, there was a section we hadn't done yet, which I think is the voting or however that goes and it relies on the next document. I read through the current version that was the latest version on the PDF that was

on the Web site this morning. And I'm okay with it and move on to the next document. I just wanted to - I don't know what went on before, but I'm okay

with it.

J.Scott Evans: Okay. So Marika, if you would do that.

Marika Konings: Okay,

J.Scott Evans: And then send it to me and then I will post it to the list along with my email.

Marika Konings: Okay. I'll do so.

J.Scott Evans: And let's go ahead and reserve this timeframe again for our call next week

with the understanding that one of the questions I'm going to ask the group is, in order to obtain broader participation is maybe one of the things we need to

do is think about changing the time. Is that acceptable to everyone?

Woman: Yes.

Man: Fine to me.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Cheryl here, just ask for input on the change of time. It is more of a

courtesy exercise to see whether there was a logistical issue for people,

that's all. As you say they may very well have made a value judgment and will

dive back in with more energy as we move to the other documents.

J.Scott Evans: That's correct. Is everybody comfortable with that plan?

Subbiah: Okay with me.

J.Scott Evans: Well that's where we're headed. I appreciate very much everyone coming

today. I appreciate very much everyone attending last week. I'm sorry that I was in a five hour conference and couldn't get away to chair, but Marika we appreciate very much you stepping forward. Not only to assist us from the Staff perspective, as you've done so - I think almost seamlessly, but also with chairing the call last week and pushing the discussion forward. I sincerely

appreciate your efforts.

Marika Konings: Thank you very much. It's my pleasure. I still have one question.

J.Scott Evans: Sure.

Marika Konings: Do you really want me to - I need to make some changes to the first draft of

the working group guidelines, but would you like me to post that ahead of the

next call or do you prefer for everyone to focus first on this document and

post it after.

J.Scott Evans: I say go ahead and post it.

Marika Konings: Okay.

J.Scott Evans: Go ahead and post it.

Marika Konings: Okay that should be out in a couple of days hopefully.

J.Scott Evans: The minute I tell them we're going to move on they're going to start looking if

they're interested - if that's where they're interested. So we might as well

have that information there for them.

Subbiah: This is Subbiah. I just had two points. One is are we going to be meeting in

Seoul, by any chance?

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 09-23-09/1:15 pm CT Confirmation #9237705

Page 9

J.Scott Evans: Yes.

Man: When - what day will that be? Do we have any idea at this point?

J.Scott Evans: I think it's scheduled possible, tentatively for Sunday.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Five calls from Cheryl, but that's alright.

Subbiah: The other thing that I wanted to know is that we are having a call at this time

next Wednesday or are we changing the time for the next Wednesday as

well?

J.Scott Evans: If we change the time of the call it would probably move the week after.

Subbiah: Okay. Fine. So either we're going to have a call at the same next Wednesday

or we're going to have - don't have a call next Wednesday, but have the one

at a new time the week after. Is that correct?

J.Scott Evans: That's correct.

Subbiah: I will try to be on next weeks call if there is one. I'll be traveling, but I think I

might be able to make it. I'll be in the Asia time zone. All right. Thank you.

CLO: Subbiah, you just have to manage the Asia time zone, come on.

Subbiah: I do that every other week. I was in Asia two weeks ago. I'm in Asia this

week. A week from tomorrow I'll be in Asia again. So...

CLO: There's nothing wrong with a little early, early, early morning activity.

Subbiah: You think you have it hard, but it is worse for every other week...

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 09-23-09/1:15 pm CT Confirmation #9237705

Page 10

CLO: No, no, I was going to say (unintelligible) I would have thought.

J.Scott Evans: We can do this. Marika, if you can try to have something to me by mid-day

Friday, my time then I'll send it out the end of the week.

Marika Konings: That's fine. I'll document it tomorrow.

J.Scott Evans: Okay.

Marika Konings: Okay.

J.Scott Evans: All right. Thank you all very much and I will check the tentative schedule and

post something to the list as well.

Subbiah: Good, thanks.

Jay Scott Evans: For Seoul. Right.

CLO: Thanks. I'm just typing something into the - I actually just missed the last

word, so I'll just write it to the record, just my point on Seoul. Sorry about the typos in the record, in the Adobe Room that's just tragic. It's just the sooner we sit at the Sunday at Seoul time the better, because ALAC has always got a full day on a Sunday and I need to tweak our agenda, to be away at the least problematic time. It didn't work for me in Sidney unfortunately, but I

really would like at this end of this work to be available in Seoul.

J.Scott Evans: Okay well let me see - I just need to look that up. I know that Glenn had sent

me something buried in my mail box. I've got to find it. And I will put it to the

list, understanding of course that it is tentative at this point.

Avri Doria: We are juggling - this is Avery we are juggling so many time requirements

and time changes, but I - it's just like the hardest part of any meeting. But I do

believe they are all scheduled for Sunday mornings all the various working teams are scheduled. I just don't know the exact, which ones are when.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Avery, Cheryl here. Of course, but you've got three of my (unintelligible) if I include myself in that group ALAC teams. And I obviously would prefer to juggle what we're doing in our agenda to make sure the people who are key to our discussions are back in our room at that time. So if I can now focus on am and pm that's a great help. And then we can play the tag team exercise, the sooner we know exactly how the day of it. I understand logistic issues...

((Crosstalk)

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Believe me Avery, I understand the problem.

Avri Doria: I'll ask (unintelligible) to get that out. At one point we thought of trying to put

them in on Saturday mornings, but we then we found not enough people

would be there on time, so that's why it ended up Sunday.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Yeah, I understand in fact that again is another matter that perhaps from

an ITSO perspective we could discuss on future planning, because there is

only so much you can squeeze into X number of days and it is getting back to being - kind of we need to be cloned to get it all done, which isn't going to be

real productive.

Avri Doria: That's what I (unintelligible). I'm getting more people to actually participate...

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: There's an alternative.

Avri Doria: We've got four people here, we mostly - we have to have chairs. So...

J.Scott Evans: Yeah, what I have here is tentatively this group is set to meet at 9 am, local

time. And will be meeting until 11:30 am, local time. Two and a half hours.

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White 09-23-09/1:15 pm CT Confirmation #9237705

Page 12

Woman: That's a long slot.

CLO: Not only is that a long slot, is that all of the work teams that are going to

running in parallel.

Avri Doria: I'll check.

((Crosstalk)

CLO If Gisella can get that back to me as well, that's got huge impact if they're all

running in parallel. However we will work it out.

Marika Konings: This is Marika. I think that Jay Scott and Jeff probably need to discuss as well

where and if the PPC is going to meet as well and how it fits into the overall

time, a lot of both work teams.

J.Scott Evans: Yeah, it may be that this entire time slot, I'm looking here - I'll have to verify

everything at this point, but that's sort of the - Cheryl, for your purposes - the working group--the various working groups are going to be meeting in that

general time frame.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: Great. Okay. That's fine.

J.Scott Evans: Okay.

Cheryl Langdon-Orr: I think Saturday's wonderful, but there you go. We'll work it out. Thank

you. The sooner we - for future reference of course the sooner we get the likelihood of what I think are essential face-to-face meetings and these - this sort of ultimate polishing stage, which I would assume we would be at is pretty important to get the maximum number of people either on the phone or face to face to really make an excellent outcome for final review. The sooner people can do their planning around these things, the better and that's not

just from the ICANN point of view. It may be if there was an intent to patch

Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

09-23-09/1:15 pm CT Confirmation #9237705

Page 13

holes workshop on a Saturday, then the sooner people new about it the better. For example I could have argued that part of my team needed to actually be there on the Saturday, so we could have freed up the Sunday slot rather than compete. (Unintelligible) and I'm not sure we need clones of (Alan) and Cheryl and (Vander), but we might end up having to make them.

J.Scott Evans: All right. Got a plan, that's half the battle.

CLO: We try.

J.Scott Evans: What we'll do is, you know, you should be receiving further communication on

this before the end of the week.

CLO: Fantastic.

J.Scott Evans: All right?

CLO: Okay.

J.Scott Evans: This is Jay Scott I think we can call this meeting adjourned. And I appreciate

again everyone's attendance, especially Cheryl and (Sabaya) who are making extraordinary efforts - I don't know, Avery I never know where you

are, so I don't know...

Woman: Avery could be anywhere. Where is she now?

Avery Doria: No this time I'm actually comfortably on the East Coast of the U.S.

Jay Scott Evans: Good night, afternoon, rather than mid-morning.

Avery Doria: Yup.

ICANN Moderator: Gisella Gruber-White

09-23-09/1:15 pm CT Confirmation #9237705 Page 14

Jay Scott Evans: As in 2 am. Okay. Well thank you all very much. We will proceed accordingly

and look forward to talking to talking to you next week.

Woman: Okay. Bye-bye. Congratulations on a short meeting.

Woman: Thank you. See you.

Jay Scott Evans: Bye-bye.

END