The Working Group to Protect the Rights of Others (PRO) Tuesday, 20 March 2007 19:00 UTC

Note: The following is the output of transcribing from an audio recording of the Working Group to Protect the Rights of Others (PRO) teleconference on 20 March 2007. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. The transcription has not been corrected for language accuracy, nor for correctness of spelling, etc. and in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. This decision was made by the Chair, in the interest of efficiency. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.

The audio recording is available at:

http://gnso-audio.icann.org/PRO-wg-20070320.MP3

http://gnso.icann.org/calendar/#mar

Attendance:

Kristina Rosette - IPC Chair of the working group

Peter Olson - IPC

Lance Griffin - IPC

Kelly Smith - IPC

Mike Rodenbaugh - CBUC Vice chair of the working group

Tim Ruiz - Registrar c.

Margie Milam - Registrar c

Jon Nevett - Registrar c.

David Maher - gTLD Registries c.

Mike Palage - gTLD Registries c.

ICANN Staff:

Liz Willams - Senior Policy Counsellor Glen de Saint Géry - GNSO Secretariat

Absent - apologies:

Philip Sheppard - CBUC

Victoria McEvedy - NCUC

Avri Doria - Nominating Committee appointee to the GNSO Council

Coordinator: Excuse me. (Kelly Smith) has joined.

(Kelly Smith): Hello everybody. Kristina Rosette: Hello. Glen Desaintgery: Hi (Kelly). Mike Rodenbaugh: Hello everybody. It's Mike Rodenbaugh. Michael Palage: Hey Mike. It's Palage. Kristina Rosette: Hi Mike. Woman: Hi. Glen Desaintgery: Welcome Liz. Liz Williams: Thanks Glen. Michael Palage: Hey Mike, did you see the way this (treaty) is suggested to be (C List)? Coordinator: Peter Olson has joined. Man: Yeah. Kristina Rosette: Hello (Peter). Peter Olson: Hello.

Send us a copy Mike and Mike.

Liz Williams:

Michael Palage: What is it?

Liz Williams: Send us a copy.

No, no joking Palage. I'm serious.

Michael Palage: I'll send you a copy, Liz.

Liz Williams: Thank you.

Glen Desaintgery: What is this Mike Palage (is)?

Michael Palage: Sorry, it's my favorite form of BC Council member.

Tell him that's how much we don't know.

Come on Mike, you have to laugh a little.

((Crosstalk))

Mike Rodenbaugh: I am laughing, Mike.

Michael Palage: You were on vacation. You got some good concerts in.

Oh yeah. Yeah.

Kristina Rosette: We'll start and I'll give everybody another minute to join.

Michael Palage: If we start the recording or had you started already?

Kristina Rosette: I have not. I'll give everybody a warning so that we're not - you know whether or not you...

Michael Palage: I'm (going to)...

Kristina Rosette: ... (unintelligible) (posterity) recently.

Michael Palage: I'm an open and transparent guy.

Mike Rodenbaugh: I'm for one had listened to my first MP3 recently and I was surprised that you have to go through something like 10 minutes of music or something quite before you get to the real stuff.

Michael Palage: Oh really?

Kristina Rosette: Do you have that little feature where you can just fast-forward so you can tell when it goes from (release) after these active little high pitch voices?

Mike Rodenbaugh: Good question, yeah.

Michael Palage: Yeah. If you...

Mike Rodenbaugh: It went a little bit faster, but it's still took a while.

Kristina Rosette: Well, either I understand. I'm still trying to meet my way through the recording to the Marina del Ray meeting.

I'm on the first day. I think I might - I like to get 5-1/2-hour.

Man: Oh my god.

Kristina Rosette: It's just hard to listen to it.

Glen Desaintgery: Now that's interesting. Have you gone to the Real Player recording?

Kristina Rosette: Yes.

Glen Desaintgery: Did you find them easy to download?

Kristina Rosette: Oh actually, you know what, I went through the MP3 - yeah, I went through the MP3. It's not the...

Glen Desaintgery: Okay.

Kristina Rosette: Hi Margie.

Coordinator: Excuse me. Margie Milam has joined.

Margie Milam: Hi. How are you?

Kristina Rosette: Hello?

All right. Let's go ahead and get started. If we could - if you be so kind to start the recording?

Glen Desaintgery: I'll (just do).

Kristina Rosette: And Glen, if you'd be so kind to take roll?

Glen Desaintgery: Okay.

Coordinator: Excuse me. I just wanted to inform all parties that the recording has

started.

Please go ahead.

Kristina Rosette: Glen, if you'd be so kind just to take roll?

Glen Desaintgery: Present - pleasure, Kristina.

Kristina Rosette: Uh-huh.

Glen Desaintgery: We have Kristina Rosette, Michael Palage, Lance Griffin, Mike Rodenbaugh, (Kelly Smith), Liz Williams, (Sean Stoff), Drew Olsen, Margie Milam, and Tim Ruiz.

Kristina Rosette: All right. Welcome everybody.

Before we go into the agenda, I just wanted to touch base on two - and so we say, housekeeping matters.

The first is, I wanted to remind everyone that when you're posting to the email with - that if you have a standard email signature, you may want to make sure that that's not included unless you don't mind that it's posted publicly in terms of your contact information.

ICANN Moderator: Glen Desaintgery 03-20-07/2:00 pm CT

Confirmation # 6539914

Page 7

The second item is our meeting in Lisbon is currently scheduled for

Sunday afternoon at 4:00 pm, and we've been - I've been asked (for

that) - we would be able to change that time to 9:00 am, Sunday. And I

have - since we said that it's open to majority votes -- simple majority

votes of the members on the call who will be in Lisbon.

So, of those of you on the call who will be in Lisbon...

Mike Rodenbaugh: Kristina, before you take a vote, Kristina, it's Mike Rodenbaugh. I

just wanted to note that at least before in my calendar, which certainly

could be wrong. Glen could (unintelligible) itself.

So I think there's another meeting that's from 9:00 to 12:00 on Sunday

morning or not?

Kristina Rosette: We would switch with that one.

Glen Desaintgery: Yeah.

Mike Rodenbaugh: Oh I see, so they would (push through). Great.

Kristina Rosette: Uh-huh.

Mike Rodenbaugh: Okay.

Kristina Rosette: All right. So, who on the call is going to be in Lisbon and is opposed to

switching to 9:00 am?

Michael Palage: I would have some problems with that. Yeah.

Kristina Rosette: All right.

Michael Palage: It's the - I actually have to go to the airport to meet Nelly coming in on

Sunday. So...

Kristina Rosette: Okay.

Michael Palage: And I probably won't be able to make that one then.

Kristina Rosette: All right. Who else on the call will actually be in Lisbon?

Mike, I know that you will, right? Mike Rodenbaugh?

Mike Rodenbaugh: Yes.

Kristina Rosette: All right.

Tim Ruiz: This is Tim. I'll be in Lisbon, but I won't be there until like late Sunday

afternoon.

Kristina Rosette: Okay. If we kept the original time, Tim, would you be able to make the

meeting or...

Tim Ruiz: What was the original time?

Kristina Rosette: 4:00 pm.

Tim Ruiz: Possibly, I get in as 2 something -- 2:35, something like that.

Kristina Rosette: Oh yeah. Would you want to? I mean, it's completely, you know, it's open. I understand as to having gotten off it, like you're not really anxious to go directly into a meeting, but...

Tim Ruiz: Yeah. If I, you know, I would certainly try absolutely.

Kristina Rosette: Okay. All right.

And Margie?

Margie Milam: Yeah. I'll be there. Either of those times work for me.

Kristina Rosette: All right. I see Jon. Now, that (he) has just joined. Hi Jon.

Jon: Hey, how are you?

Kristina Rosette: I'm well. Thanks.

The first housekeeping matter we're attending to is we've been asked to switch timeslots or has been asked that whether we could switch timeslots with the meeting that's currently scheduled for Sunday at 9:00 am. So instead of meeting at 4:00 pm, we would meet at 9:00 am.

And I'm just pooling everybody who's on the group that's going to be in Lisbon to find out, you know, aye or nay, and it truly is completely up to the group.

Jon: What's the one that's switching -- being switched?

Kristina Rosette: I think it's New gTLDs and IDNs.

Glen Desaintgery: That slot?

Jon: Okay. Fine with me, I guess. There's (unintelligible) - if there's nothing

else going on and I'm happy to (do).

Kristina Rosette: All right. Well, as of right now and (borrowing) anybody else who joins

the call and opposes, it looks as if we have a simple - oh (David)?

(David): Yeah. Hi.

Kristina Rosette: Hi. Since we were taking a little vote to see whether we would be

willing to switch timeslots on Sunday with the New GTLD IDN Group,

so if they're meeting at 4:00 on Sunday, we would meet at 9:00 am.

And I've made clear that it's completely up to the majority of the

working group members who will be in Lisbon.

So, how would you like to cast your votes?

(David): Oh, I can do - this would be a flop...

Kristina Rosette: Right.

(David): ... with the IDN Group.

Kristina Rosette: Correct.

(David): It's okay by me.

Kristina Rosette: All right. All right.

Page 11

So I guess we're okay to switch, Glen.

Glen Desaintgery: Thank you very much, Kristina.

Kristina Rosette: (Try) any changes.

Glen Desaintgery: Thank you.

Kristina Rosette: All right.

The first thing I thought that we would talk about very quickly is the division of the group into the project teams that were outlined in my meeting summary to see whether anyone had any questions about the purpose of the project team, the composition of whether any of those -I think one of them currently didn't have a leader, so we would need somebody to lead that.

But - are there any - does anybody on the call have any questions about how their project teams have been described and their function?

All right. The Consultation Project Team does not have a leader. And I don't know - I think Mike and Jon, you were the only two who were on the call from that group. Would either of you be willing to lead that team?

Mike Rodenbaugh: I can't. I'm sorry.

Kristina Rosette: Okay.

Jon: I don't have the bandwidth.

Kristina Rosette: All right.

Michael Palage: Oh come on, I led the last group with Chuck.

Jon: What else are you doing?

Kristina Rosette: All right. (Peter)?

Peter Olson: Yeah.

Kristina Rosette: Do you have time? I mean, I can - I haven't had a chance to talk to Ute. I can ask her, and I know that you're pretty booked up as well.

Peter Olson: Yes. And now, I'm working on the other projects as well.

Kristina Rosette: Okay. Why don't we just save them for now that I'll talk to Ute and reach out to Frank? But for right now that you all will just remain (leading) with.

And if there's a need to have a leader, and I believe there is actually a request for consultation has come in already that you all can decide amongst yourselves who's going to take the lead on just coordinating, because essentially that group will be responsible for coming up with a draft working group response to the request.

And Liz, if I remember correctly, we had - you had forwarded -- you were kind enough to forward to us the information about the Registry Reserved Names. And I - am I correct in thinking that the relevant

background information to that inquiry is in the Reserved Names, in the

report that that group has put forward?

Liz Williams:

Yes, it is.

Kristina Rosette: Okay.

Liz Williams:

And if you - if anyone who - I sent around the PDF version of the Reserved Names report, which makes it much easier if you had four new guides to identify where it's important to have a look at that piece

of work.

The best thing to do is to - and then, I'm just going to double-check. You might be (able to tell me) off the top of my head, I mean, off the top of your head. Has that Reserved Names report being posted in the

draft? Please give me one sec. Please stay on and...

Kristina Rosette: Yes.

Woman:

Yes.

Liz Williams:

... I'll just double-check. Yeah.

If you...

Kristina Rosette: Yes.

Liz Williams:

... go on to the draft document section, the DNS Services Main

Working Group document has been posted in PDF format. And you'll

be able to have a look at that report there.

ICANN Moderator: Glen Desaintgery

03-20-07/2:00 pm CT Confirmation # 6539914

Page 14

Don't print it out. It's 150 some pages long, but I will have printed

copies available for you at Lisbon, just so that you don't clog up your

bag when you're carrying it. But do take a look at it before you get to

Lisbon if you can on your screen.

And also, the Reserved Names Working Group will be doing a report to

the committees on Wednesday -- to the New TLDs committee on

Wednesday.

Kristina Rosette: All right. Excellent.

I realized that my question might be viewed really optimistic, but have

any of the project teams had a chance to meet?

(Okay). I would suggest that the leaders of those whom I know that

TLD Analysis Team is being held by the absence of other summaries,

which I'm in the process of following up with the original volunteers in

recruiting colleagues from IPC and INTA to fill in the gaps (whereas

doing) necessary.

But I think it's probably important if those groups start meeting even if

only kind of informally and not technically meeting, but exchanging

ideas and views via email.

And I understand that, Glen, there may be a number available for a

(rich) number of your calls, if those groups want to have separate calls.

Glen Desaintgery: Yes.

Page 15

Kristina Rosette: Okay.

Glen Desaintgery: Sorry, sorry. Which groups? (The)...

Kristina Rosette: The project teams -- if any of the project teams would like to setup

calls...

Glen Desaintgery: Oh, in fact, to that portion...

Kristina Rosette: Okay.

((Crosstalk))

Kristina Rosette: Okay. Perfect.

I guess the next thing - yeah?

Mike Rodenbaugh: Just on the new Issues Analysis, do you have sort of the final

versions of all of those in one (clip)?

Kristina Rosette: I apologize.

Housekeeping matter number three, which I should have dealt with at

the beginning is that the GNSO Council has ratified the statement of

work which identifies not only the predicate and contact in which this

working group is intended to operate.

But also, it flushes out some detail of the current outline for the

statement of work and in particular, some of the kind of quantitative

ICANN Moderator: Glen Desaintgery 03-20-07/2:00 pm CT

> Confirmation # 6539914 Page 16

and qualitative points we want to be looking at to the extent that we

need to refer back to the outline as a guide for a checklist.

But I'm sorry, I wasn't - I didn't catch the end of your question. Do we

have an issue?

Mike Rodenbaugh: Yeah. Well, I know, you know, obviously, several people -- many

people have sent in their summaries, and I'm just wondering if you are

keeping those in one place or - and can send them or if I should just go

ahead and try to (meet you)?

Kristina Rosette: I was essentially - what I was planning to do is, once we got (in) all the

summaries that I was essentially just going to (co-create) - compile

them into one document...

Man:

Okay then.

Kristina Rosette: ... which I would then circulate in both Word and PDF form.

But that actually brings me to another point. I know that someone I

believe, (Peter) indicated that you might be having difficulty getting in

touch with the registry representative. Is that right?

Lance Griffin:

Well, I am - Lance Griffin.

Kristina Rosette: Okay.

Lance Griffin:

I'm having trouble.

Kristina Rosette: All right.

Man: Oh pardon me.

Kristina Rosette: All right.

Mike Rodenbaugh: Who are you having trouble with, Lance?

Lance Griffin: The .PRO registry.

Mike Rodenbaugh: Okay.

Lance Griffin: I have to check my email here to see exactly his name.

Peter Olson: This is (Peter) in Copenhagen. I think my button was off.

I'm having trouble with .TV.

Kristina Rosette: Okay.

Peter Olson: And I wonder if people remember, was there really a sunrise with .TV?

I can't see anything on the Web site and they haven't got back to me

with my email inquiries on the contact information.

Kristina Rosette: I actually don't remember. Does anybody on the call remember?

Mike Rodenbaugh: I do not. I thought that they did do something, but...

Michael Palage: Yeah. Put it this way, Mike, that was like around 2000. That's when they started doing some stuff. I could go back and potentially dig some

stuff up the problem you're going to have with .TV is, there assign, if you will, transition the operation of it over to (INAM). So, (INAM) - the people currently running .TV right now, (INAM) basically would not have most of that historical stuff.

Man: No. They don't even have this WHOIS.

Michael Palage: Well, I'm just - now, the one - don't you...

Tim Ruiz: Actually, the WHOIS for TV is - at the same location is the WHOIS for

(CON) because it (select) the right. So there's the link there for it.

Michael Palage: When you - thanks Tim.

The other thing you may want to do for TV is (Chris Scher) it and who used to be at VeriSign, I believe, has transitioned over - has taken a new senior level position over Demand Media. And I believe .TV is going to be one of the things, so I think he's going to be (have) enough.

So, as far as the name, you may want to try to ping (Chris Scher) in.

Mike Rodenbaugh: Great.

Kristina Rosette: All right.

I'm also having trouble with regards to .travel, and what I'm inclined to suggest to (unintelligible) group's thought is that, you know, once we get to the point where we do in fact have all the summaries and we really are on hold, pending verification and obtaining certain

Page 19

information from the registry, that maybe we could have the summary

posted to the registry reserve or at least four days to those, you know,

we can go ahead and forward them.

But in a certain point, I think we'll probably just have to say, you know,

we need to have your comments by (appeal) a date or, you know, we'll

just have to go as what we have.

Does anyone have any objection or other ideas for soliciting?

Peter Olson:

This is (Peter) in Copenhagen.

Kristina, we have a colleague from the other call that was really big on

.travel and she might be able to help...

Kristina Rosette: Okay. All right.

Peter Olson:

... help you.

Mike Rodenbaugh: Oh actually and - well, Ron Andruff is a member of the Business

Constituency, so we can talk to him directly. And he's - I think you're

talking with Kristina or trying to talk with?

Kristina Rosette: I was relying on the (dot) - the contact information that Glen had

posted courtesy of Jeff. And if I remember correctly, the contact person

was...

Man:

(Gerry) (unintelligible) is probably the most likely.

Kristina Rosette: Yes. Yes. I believe so.

Page 20

Mike Rodenbaugh: Well, we can try this so we can send it to (Ron) and see...

Kristina Rosette: All right.

Mike Rodenbaugh: ... if he can help.

Kristina Rosette: Okay. Well, I guess, just as if people were having difficulties, just go

ahead and indicate that into the extent that anybody on the list had

particular contact of the registry and can facilitate that, that would be

perfect, that would really be great.

Another thing is that - another housekeeping matter is that our final

report deadline is May 17, so we will need to have a draft. I would say

at least three weeks before that in order we - so that we could submit it

and get staff comments and suggestions before we submit the final.

Liz, realistically, I mean, just as a practical matter, in three weeks...

Liz Williams:

Okay.

Kristina Rosette: ... as good enough lead time?

Liz Williams:

Yeah. That's fine.

Just - and the only reason I said that, and I said it was a one

qualification. The New TLDs report staff will become very busy after it

is submitted in terms of production of the final report...

Kristina Rosette: Uh-huh.

Liz Williams: ... because of the remaining elements of work that need to be

completed. It must (unintelligible) on IDNs on this group and on the

GAC public policy principles.

So getting this piece of work finished is okay, but there are all other

pieces of work that will...

Kristina Rosette: Sure.

Liz Williams: ... take up a lot of time.

Kristina Rosette: Sure.

Liz Williams: But I'm almost off-hook on the PDP Feb 06 so that should free up

some time.

Kristina Rosette: Okay. Excellent. Whatever three weeks before may send (it) again.

Mike Rodenbaugh: So that, I would urge to try to do it four weeks before, if possible,

simply because of deadlines of Business Constituency for getting

comments and things like that. We have a 21 - 115 day process, so it's

truly cutting it short.

Kristina Rosette: Well, like I guess, I'm not really - sure, I understand why we need to

work with that...

Mike Rodenbaugh: (Unintelligible) in a draft report, I'd like to circulate it to the BC and

have them (unintelligible) to make comments on it.

So actually, we'd like to propose is the BC position perhaps most likely (iViewing), that's what we'd like to do. And there'll be the day - the (stance) so we will have to go through a 14-day comment period. And I think that that's also true for other constituency.

Kristina Rosette: I just - I'm looking at the calendar and I put us at April 19, which frankly isn't much time. That gives everybody three weeks, and I just question, given the difficulty we've had and getting the TLD summaries from people whether or not it's realistic.

Anybody else - comments, suggestions?

All right. I mean, we can shoot for April 19. We can try that and see what we can do.

Mike Rodenbaugh: I think at that point we could - we used to have a draft from which we - at least me as a BC officer can take some of the principles out of it and circulate those as our proposed position.

Kristina Rosette: Well, but Mike, I mean, you know, I guess what I'm not clear on is that you and the other members from the Business Constituency would be voting on certain recommendations. But the constituency itself...

Michael Palage: But I was on mute.

Kristina Rosette: ... is not going to be voting on the working group recommendations before the report is released to the council, right? I guess, I'm a little unclear.

Page 23

Mike Rodenbaugh: I don't know how to say it better. Perhaps my friend Michael could

help me, but I think that the bottom line is we - at the BC, we don't

have that position on some of the issue.

So, in order for us to vote even on the draft report that will go to the

council, we need to have (vetted) and essentially come to a

constituency position on some of these issues.

Michael Palage: I would concur with that, Mike.

Kristina Rosette: All right. Well, then I think everybody's going to need to pick up the

pace frankly. So - and I realize I'm preaching to the choir because

you're on the call and the people who are - but, you know, we'll just

work from the 19th.

((Crosstalk))

Mike Rodenbaugh: Essentially, Margie and I have the leadership for deliverables, right

-- for a written deliverable. So I understand the problem with getting the

underlying data from some of the registries, but I think, you know, we

should probably send around what you have now and let us start

drafting the example we have now.

Kristina Rosette: Yeah. I mean, I think that's fine with, you know, my concern about

doing that, Mike, with regard to TLDs is then I think the bulk of what

we've got right now responses, which...

Woman:

Okay.

Mike Rodenbaugh: Uh-huh.

Kristina Rosette: ... doesn't really help everybody.

Mike Rodenbaugh: No. Well, and we really do need this - an info for sure.

Kristina Rosette: Right. Oh all right.

But I will go ahead and whatever I have, you know, this time tomorrow, I'll just go ahead and put into one document and post it so that everybody's got it.

Michael Palage: As I said, Mike, I have a draft. I'd say I have a draft of the (biz) already done. I just - I want to send the copy over to Jeff to make sure, you know, I didn't miss anything. The problem is Jeff and (Anne) are expecting a baby within the next week. So, that sort of complicates matters.

And as I said, I would have been able to have everything done for our Sunday afternoon meeting. But since we've now switched to the morning, I won't be able to attend. So, I guess I'll just maybe, you know, send it to the group via the email list.

Kristina Rosette: And Mike, I would just say that, you know, I've had to submit mine with the caveat that has draft and I hadn't had a chance to consult with the registry, and I realized that that's not the ideal way to do it.

But I think in the inability to get the final confirmation from the registry, we just need to go with what we have. So I would certainly, you know, encourage you to go ahead and post what you've got so far.

Michael Palage: Yeah. Well, as I said, I mean, the problem is, Jeff and I are the, you know, what everybody wants is everybody wants is an info, and so I guess that sort of the block - I don't want to say the - it's the problem. So, I'll talk to Jeff and see what we can do.

And as I said, it's unfortunately that we had to switch the meeting because...

Mike Rodenbaugh: All right.

Liz Williams: Kristina, it's Liz. I just want - you have a second, I just have one thing

to add.

Kristina Rosette: Sure. Go ahead.

Liz Williams: One of the issues that we've got guys is that this work must end at a

point that provides either some draft recommendations for the committee to consider or nothing, because the New TLDs report will

proceed without you if that work isn't finished.

Who's making jokes in the background, Michael Palage?

The reason why I'm just saying that it's very important for them to know what they're up against, and it's unfortunate, for example, for the Reserved Names Group, they were pushing it uphill this week to get their report finished as Michael and others who are on that group know well.

What will happen just so that we understand the consequences of what happens is that if the group is turning towards any kind of

ICANN Moderator: Glen Desaintgery 03-20-07/2:00 pm CT

> Confirmation # 6539914 Page 26

recommendation to the council -- to the committee, for example, that

(XY) that might happen.

It's going to have a direct bearing on -- one, the production of the final

report, and two, the completion of the implementation plan. And I'm

only able because there are all other pressures upon me to complete

the work so that the implementation team can get on with the

production of a board report that enables the process to start.

What will generally happen is that the concerns of the group will just

start with the work of the group if not completed by - Kristina, you

asked with the 21st of May, as your extension on the council (call) the

other night, if I recall correctly.

Kristina Rosette: Uh-huh.

Liz Williams:

At some point, we have to draw the lines in the sense to say, and now

folks, we're going to be moving to this particular point or that particular

point. We cannot have an open-ended consideration of these issues

no matter what the statement of work says, because it would be unfair

and unreasonable of us to hold up the much broader and bigger

projects for the sake of this small -- not this small, this piece of work...

((Crosstalk))

Liz Williams:

... so that we know what we're doing here.

Mike Rodenbaugh: I appreciate that, Liz. You know, I mean, I think there are lot of

people that's a very important piece of work and your comments are all

well taken at least by me and her - Margie. We need to really start

drafting based on what we've got and basically beg Mike and Jeff become those other key information as soon as possible.

Liz Williams: Okay. Okay.

Michael Palage: Well, if you want to move the back to four o'clock so I can participate.

Woman: I have no preference, I mean, you know, if you (unintelligible) move it, I

will go with whatever the flow is here.

Mike Rodenbaugh: Glen, what was the purpose of asking for the switch?

Glen Desaintgery: The purpose of asking for the switch was because some IDN people would like to attend the meeting and there can only be there on Sunday afternoon.

Michael Palage: What I'll do is I'll get the stuff and I'll send it to the stuff by (set) - what it is, Sunday morning. I appreciate the importance of IDNs and, you know, I'll get the stuff and if you have any questions, we'll just answer the email.

Kristina Rosette: All right. Moving onto, if we could, identification of experts, I think we need to make sure that now they were getting into the heavy-lifting of the group that to the extent that there are persons or organizations with valuable expertise that we can draw, and that frankly, the report would be incomplete if it did not acknowledge or refer to.

I think we need to go ahead and start identifying those people and organizations, so the goal is setting up communication channels and that type of thing.

ICANN Moderator: Glen Desaintgery 03-20-07/2:00 pm CT

> Confirmation # 6539914 Page 28

Obviously, having (onto) on the comment - the working group is a

valuable help. She can be very helpful with us in terms of the

documents and expertise and other information that WIPO has

gathered.

Are there any experts that anyone thinks we should be considering or

consulting with here?

Mike Rodenbaugh: I think we should certainly consult with National Arbitration Forum

and with the Asian Arbitration Forum as well to get their statistics. It's

not called the Asian Arbitration Forum, but I forgot the, you know,

this...

Kristina Rosette: All right.

Mike, just so that I'm clear, what statistics would you want to get from

them, the number of the various types of proceedings?

Mike Rodenbaugh: Yeah, exactly.

Kristina Rosette: Okay.

Mike Rodenbaugh: The number of - basically, the number of complaints and the

number of victories.

I know also that WIPO is taking great effort to make sort of a summary

of principles in UDRP that I think will be useful to us, and I'm not

certain whether the others have such a document or that they would

share with us. If so, that will be good to have too.

Page 29

Kristina Rosette: All right. If there's anyone, I guess, before we get into - does anybody

have contacts of those organizations? I actually...

Mike Rodenbaugh: I do with NAF (unintelligible).

Kristina Rosette: Okay. Anyone for the Asian Arbitration provider? (Unintelligible)

(solution provider), okay. I'm sure there's somebody INTA Internet

Committee with connections there. So, I'll take care reaching out to

that.

Any other experts or organizations that should be consulted?

Margie Milam:

Yeah. Kristina, this is Margie.

I was thinking, it would be useful to consult with

PriceWaterhouseCoopers. (Bart Levin) who did the launch for .eu, he

did the validation side of the .eu launch.

And I've actually spoken to him - I spoke to him last week some time,

and he said, he'd be happy to talk to our committee if there's an

interest about, you know, his experiences, validation process with .eu,

the kind of problems they solve, things that their hands were tied, they

couldn't do anything about. And he said, he'd be interested in providing

like a presentation to our group if we wanted to hear from him.

Man:

Yeah.

Page 30

(Kelly Smith): This is (Kelly Smith). (Unintelligible) helpful especially (unintelligible)

(EU) did look such a broad category of prior rights and their validation

process and...

Mike Rodenbaugh: I think we'll be very useful as well. And also to find out the

background and reasons for the policy change that .eu implemented as

of February 19th to essentially what looks like a notice and take down

procedure although (not) early experience if not through the test fault.

Kristina Rosette: Yeah. And I don't know if he's involved in that recent policy change or

not but he can certainly talk about the sunrise related things.

Mike Rodenbaugh: Well, I am in dialogue with you on that issue too so, of course, I'll

share all the information with the group once we've finished.

But that also raised the issue. We should probably talk to the Czech

Arbitration people too. We've been deciding the EU cases to get their

stat as well.

So (Bart) maybe can provide a contact there you think, Margie?

Margie Milam: Yeah. I'm sure he can.

Kristina Rosette: Well, (Peter)?

((Crosstalk))

Kristina Rosette: (Peter) is one of the panelists there too?

Man:

Oh okay.

Peter Olson: I'm a .EU panelist. I don't know, they have them (consistent). But they

have it like an expel (unintelligible) so it be pretty easy, you know, to figure who - how many things we're winning is you're in stuff like that.

Man: Great.

Kristina Rosette: All right. That would be great.

Does anybody have any objections to inviting (Bart Levin) to make a presentation to the meeting during Lisbon?

All right. Margie, I would say - 10 to 15 minutes, if that would work for him. I don't know whether it's the new time...

((Crosstalk))

Margie Milam: I don't know. I have to call him and find out.

Kristina Rosette: All right.

Margie Milam: I'll email (Louis).

Kristina Rosette: All right. All right. And I guess, Glen, if we're switching to that 9:00 am to noon flat, we now have three hours instead of two. Is that correct?

Glen Desaintgery: We do in fact have three hours. Basically, it's from 9:00 to 12:00.

Kristina Rosette: All right.

Man: Great.

Glen Desaintgery: Is that all right?

Kristina Rosette: Yeah. Any other experts or organizations that should be consulted?

All right. So just direct to the list, we have (ANF), the Asian Dispute Resolution - UDRP Dispute Resolution Provider, (Bart Levin) from PWC who we invited to speak at the meeting in Lisbon and the Czech Arbitration provider which (Peter) will be able - I hope, to reach out and get those statistics.

get those statistics.

Man: One other thing, Kristina?

Kristina Rosette: Sure.

Man: Just wondering whether and maybe it's probably part of the

constituency outreach, but at least asking the BC and the IPC

members perhaps for their specific experiences under the EDRP, that

people think that that should be useful information.

Kristina Rosette: Well, I think my...

Man: Or even more broadly, not just under the EDRP, but more broadly,

their problem is (unintelligible), et cetera.

Kristina Rosette: Well, I think we need to keep in mind that our mission here is to really

look at the kind of pre-registration high protective mechanism. So I

think to the extent that we're looking in statistics, we really probably

should be focusing on kind of sunrise challenges and (staff) proceedings and the like.

((Crosstalk))

Kristina Rosette: And we think our...

Man: ... stop you there, because there you saying that our statement of work

somehow precludes us from considering and recommending the

post-registration procedures, which is notice and take them.

Mike Rodenbaugh: I don't read that in our statement of work.

Kristina Rosette: Well...

Mike Rodenbaugh: I mean, personally I think that's been one of the major points of this

is, at least in my mind showing that the defensive registration system

don't really work as intended and we need to take additional steps to

accomplish.

Tim Ruiz: But - I don't know if I agree with that, Mike. I mean, this kind of making

a big, you know, presumption that that the purpose of this working

group. And I don't - I mean, because I feel exactly the opposite that the

current mechanisms (unintelligible) necessary and, you know, probably

shouldn't exist at all.

So, I mean, we could go...

Mike Rodenbaugh: Well, I hear you Tim. And obviously, that's the base that we are

going to have in the context of this group and should have.

I mean, I understood...

Tim Ruiz:

So I just - so I mean, I know we all have our own agenda, but just that we, you know, when we look at what we got to collect the experts we're going to talk to that we just keep it focused on the statement of work. And I'm not disagreeing with you that that, you know, considering mechanisms shouldn't be a part of it, I would agree.

Our reason to it that if that's part of what we're being asked to do, you know, are other mechanisms perhaps necessary?

Mike Rodenbaugh: Okay.

Kristina Rosette: Right. And I think - but having said that, you know, getting the emphasis of the statement of work make on the earlier, that the initial mechanisms, I think we need to make it sure frankly that we have our docs in a row on that one -- on that and to that.

Man: I agree completely.

Kristina Rosette: All right.

Mike Rodenbaugh: I think it's probably relevant though to go to that big businesses or perhaps to providers like (Mark Morrison) and (Surveillance) and see if they might give us statistics or averages or things like that, just showing the scope of the problem.

Kristina Rosette: Well, if that's kind of what the survey that we are going to be putting together, which is actually one of the next things I wanted to talk about

Page 35

is going to be intended to do is that I have very much hope that by the end of the meeting at Lisbon, we will have an agreement on a very straightforward, easy to complete, but yet comprehensive for what we want survey, and they can be distributed that each - the working group members tend to distribute to their constituencies and again, kind of disseminating from - internally by the constituency to get an informal

Mike Rodenbaugh: Perfect.

assessment.

Kristina Rosette: So, I mean, that's really kind of my plan.

And in terms of moving to the next agenda item, we do not to provide Glen for the main agenda. We need to give her some idea -- some of the topics that we're going to be covering during the meeting in Lisbon.

The survey is obviously one of them. The presentation from (Bart Levin) is another.

Do you think it make sense to allocate - just trying to think of time allocation, you know, maybe 45 minutes each to kind of a general discussion at a very broad level about the issues that have been, that these problems were designed to create those, I mean, designs and all that - those they've actually created, as well as kind of the themes that we're seeing among the TLD analyses.

Man:

Certainly. They could be useful. And then, we - by the end of the meeting or shortly thereafter, we should be able to have a draft for circulation.

ICANN Moderator: Glen Desaintgery 03-20-07/2:00 pm CT

Confirmation # 6539914 Page 36

Kristina Rosette: All right. Then why don't we do that.

Glen, I'll type something up. I - actually, I'm going to have to jump off

the call so (wishing) to say I have another commitment, unfortunately.

But I will go back and send something to you this evening in terms of

an agenda.

And so, I guess, the other thing that I'd like to talk about during the

Lisbon meeting or we can even do it now, if everyone thinks that we'll

be a better use of time is I think we really - I think it would be helpful to

make sure that we've got benchmark just so that we can stay on track,

because it was noted, you know, our deadline is our deadline. That's it.

We don't get anymore time.

And it would be unfortunate if given the amount of time that was all put

into this that we end up not being able to provide a portion of the report

that I think ultimately is going to be very valuable regardless of, you

know, what perspective you're looking at it from.

Does anybody have any objections, comments, suggestions?

Mike Palage, I think - I seem to recall in an earlier call, perhaps maybe

our first or second one. You have mentioned, I think you and (Philip)

were talking about a survey that had at one point, then distributed that

you had, is very difficult to get responses because questions were so

kind of open-ended.

Michael Palage: Correct.

Kristina Rosette: Am I remembering that correctly?

Page 37

Michael Palage: That is correct.

Kristina Rosette: Is that without imposing on anything we might be considered kind of

proprietary within the constituency? Would that be something that you

might be able to share with the group so that we have kind of an idea

of - or could you be able to circulate kind of the, you know, series of

the top five things that we learn. You really can't do if you want people

to give you (responses).

Michael Palage: It was actually in connection with the WHOIS survey.

Kristina Rosette: Oh okay.

Michael Palage: And, you know, the historical note there was, you know, when it comes

to sort of tabulating things, when people put, you know, enter text into

a box or a paragraph, it becomes a burden for the person that needs to

try to read it, qualify it, try to put it in the box.

So what we were just trying to say is, if you wanted to - particularly

given the timeline we're up against here, I think it best you're going to

be able to have the ability to get the best survey back and sort of just

say, okay, these many boxes were ticked and, you know, try to

produce it that way.

I can sit there and send you a list. I started to work on a couple of

questions that were sort of yes - no, 1 to 5 types of issues that we may

want to consider. So, I'll try to, as I said, work on that on the plane right

over, you know, later this week.

Kristina Rosette: All right. And I would encourage everybody else. I mean, you know, there's no need to, you know, don't feel that you can't post something in between meetings. I mean, I would certainly feel free to do that.

I think the more that we've all had the chance to think about what it is that we want to be asking and how we want to ask it in a way that's going to make it both user-friendly on both the front-end in terms of the person analyzing it and on the back-end incorporating that into the broader conclusion. I would encourage you to do that.

I know that I've started to do that as well. I have a little list and, you know, I think maybe what we can - hopefully, what we'll be able to accomplish is something that's very - I mean, it might be wrong if I be two or three pages long, but relatively easy to complete. Yes, they are ranked 1 to 5, you know, what's your first choice, what's your second choice, that type of thing.

Are there any other areas? I know that the one thing just an ingoing kind of back and looking over the statement of work with regard to - the one area that I can see that we really haven't had a chance to explore that much, and at this point, we haven't really created a mechanism to obtain is one aspect of the statement of work is to - excuse me - look at the impact on registries and registrars in terms of resource allocation and other consideration.

And from those - for those of you who are in those constituencies, did you envision that - what are your thoughts as the best way to go about collecting that type of information and those comments? Through the survey or would you prefer to direct your constituencies and have somebody put together the statement?

Page 39

Mike Rodenbaugh: I'm sorry, Kristina. I'm not sure I understood the question exactly.

Kristina Rosette: Well, what...

Mike Rodenbaugh: We're (doing) the survey regardless, right?

Kristina Rosette: Right. Well, one aspect of the statement of work is to look at the impact

of this previously implemented mechanism on registries and registrars,

not only in terms of resource allocation, in terms of development and

implementation, but any other considerations that might not

necessarily be instinctive or, you know, clear on their faith.

And the survey that we are looking at creating is not necessarily going

to reach that kind of information simply because we are trying to make

it very yes - no rank 1 to 5 -- that type of thing.

So what I was hoping to get or some ideas from the members on the

call particularly, you know, the inside of those and those two

constituencies is the best mechanism for getting that kind of impact

analysis.

Woman:

Kristina, I think we could probably ask our constituency in our meetings

at Portugal.

Kristina Rosette: Okay.

Woman:

Hey, Mike, you're on the call, right? We could probably do that when

we have our meeting on (unintelligible), right?

Page 40

Michael Palage: Yeah. I mean, you have, you know, an update on both this working

group as well as Reserved Names. The New gTLD is an agenda item.

Those certainly brings up during that.

Kristina Rosette: All right.

Mike Rodenbaugh: And then Margie, will you take the lead when we get to that point?

Margie Milam: Yeah. That's fine. I can talk it to - talk about it on Tuesday.

Mike Rodenbaugh: That'll be great. I'll write your name.

Margie Milam: All right. Well then, I'll just send a note.

Kristina Rosette: (David), will you be in touch with the other registry members?

(David):

Yeah.

Kristina Rosette: Okay. Would you mind floating that idea pass them and if that isn't going to be workable to maybe come back with an alternative suggestion as to how the registries want to contribute that information.

(David):

I'll work on it.

Kristina Rosette: That would be great.

Just trying to (see) if there are any other questions that we need to address. Is there anything else that anyone would like to add in terms of where we are doing our deadlines with the project teams are doing, anything that we've talked about so far?

Does anyone have any good relationships with the folks in ALAC?

Liz Williams: What (did they do), Kristina?

Kristina Rosette: Well, I'm just, you know, a little concerned that at this point, you know, sooner or later, it's going to be difficult for somebody coming on to get up your feet. It's going to be two time-consuming for them...

Liz Williams: Yup.

Kristina Rosette: ... to go through all the tapes, and as a practical matter, you know, that to me is a fair prerequisite. You can join in at anytime, but it's your obligation is to bring yourself up to speed.

Liz Williams: Uh-huh.

Kristina Rosette: And it seems to that this meeting in Lisbon is quite of a tipping point for that.

Liz Williams: Yup.

Kristina Rosette: And I've just haven't really been able to get any communications back from either of those groups, and I want to make sure that all of the efforts that can be made to communicate to them are being pursued.

And frankly, I'm just had a lot.

Liz Williams: Yeah. I'll take that on board. I was getting in touch with (Mick)

(unintelligible) who coordinates the ALAC from outside. I will get him to do some outreach.

ICANN Moderator: Glen Desaintgery 03-20-07/2:00 pm CT

Confirmation # 6539914 Page 42

And frankly though, I think so that the ALAC has been very, very

overloaded with establishment of the RALO, and on another set of

issues about the demand and testing, which I think they're going to

propose a PDP on. So, I suspect that they will be crowded.

Kristina Rosette: Okay.

Liz Williams:

The other issue, of course, was the RFP the NCUC.

(I can pat) some solution to that use at the Lisbon meeting to - and

Kristina, I'm happy to help you do this, to go to the NCUC, RFP and

ALAC meetings and say, guys, I'm missing you, this is where we're up

to and give them report of the work and solicit face-to-face input.

I always go to all the constituency meetings and give updates and as

you will know, because I was at the IPC last time. And so we can do

that that way if you like.

But the other issue is we can't make people participate if they want or

they can't or they're not able to.

Kristina Rosette: Right.

Liz Williams:

So, at some point, when this goes back into the committee, we have to

get them to participate. Then, we just have to build that into the time

frame.

Kristina Rosette: Right.

Mike Rodenbaugh: I did - I asked Alan Greenberg in Marina del Ray whether they would assign anybody. I will follow up with him now and see if he's got anybody in mind.

Kristina Rosette: All right. Because I'd sent an email either late last week or - yeah, late last week to just kind of introduce myself and encourage him to be direct (hopes). Whereas, I think that's a good idea although I'm seeing kind of an immediate overlap with the IP and IC constituency meetings at the same time.

Liz Williams: Yup, exactly. I'm happy to be the conduit between the two if you like...

Kristina Rosette: Okay.

Liz Williams: ... because I can flip in and out of the meetings. But that's not the base solution, but it is (high) solution.

Kristina Rosette: Right. Right. And, you know, I agree with your point. I just want to make sure that there is no reason to think that - I don't want to give anybody a basis for attacking a legitimacy whatever the final recommendations are...

Liz Williams: Yeah. Exactly.

Kristina Rosette: ... around it. We want it to just (unintelligible) improve it.

Liz Williams: Yup.

Kristina Rosette: So, all right. Well, if there's nothing else, then I think we can adjourn early.

Man: Right.

Kristina Rosette: Right? So are we set for 9:00 am on Sunday. Is that the final - this is your last chance to be true at everybody.

Mike Rodenbaugh: I mean, Tim and Palage there would be a benefit in my opinion definitely.

Liz Williams: As long as they bring in the croissants.

Mike Rodenbaugh: I'm sorry?

Liz Williams: As long they bring in the croissants for breakfast.

Kristina Rosette: You know, they can only come at four.

Liz Williams: Oh.

Michael Palage: I'll be eating my croissants on the plane I think.

Woman: Uh-huh. Okay.

Woman: Yeah. I tend to agree I rather have Tim and Mike there if it's possible.

Mike Rodenbaugh: I mean - and since that I would change my vote to keep this on because now they do - they said that they can't make it otherwise.

Kristina Rosette: All right. So now we have a new decision that we are not going to be able to switch because of prior time commitments by work group members. And that it might work better for (Bart) as well.

So Glen, I apologize that we weren't able to switch, but I think the consensus of the working group is that we need to stick with our timeslot.

All right. Okay. Well, if there isn't anything else, I will see everyone who's going in Lisbon.

Oh Glen, will there be dialing and opportunities for that meeting?

Liz Williams: Yes, there will, Kristina.

Kristina Rosette: Okay.

Liz Williams: She might be on mute.

Kristina Rosette: Okay. All right. I guess that would be the only thing is to get that information so to be posted to Lisbon time.

But for those of you traveling to Lisbon, I will see you in Lisbon and safe travel.

Liz Williams: Thanks. See you guys. Bye.

Michael Palage: See you, Kristina.

((Crosstalk))

Kristina Rosette: Bye-bye.

Woman: Bye.

Man: Bye-bye.

END