

---

## ICANN Transcription

### Council Committee for Overseeing and Implementing Continuous Improvement

**Wednesday, 29 June 2022 at 12:00 UTC**

Note: Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases it is incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages or transcription errors. It is posted as an aid to understanding the proceedings at the meeting, but should not be treated as an authoritative record. Attendance and recordings of the call are posted on agenda wiki page: <https://community.icann.org/x/ExR1Cw>

The recordings and transcriptions of the calls are posted on the GNSO Master Calendar page <http://gnso.icann.org/en/group-activities/calendar>

TERRI AGNEW:

Good morning, good afternoon, good evening and welcome to the Council Committee for Overseeing and Implementing Continuous Improvement. The call is taking place on Wednesday the 29<sup>th</sup> of June 2022 at 12:00 UTC. In the interest of time, there'll be no roll call attendance will be taken by the Zoom room. If you're only on the telephone, could you please identify yourself now?

Hearing none, we do have listed apologies from Flip Petillion and Thomas Rickert.

Statements of Interest must be kept up to date. If anyone has any update to share, please raise your hand or speak up now. Seeing or hearing no one, if you do need assistance, please email the GNSO Secretariat.

All documentation and information can be found on the Wiki space. Recordings will be posted on the public Wiki space shortly

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

after the end of the call. Please remember to state your name before speaking.

As a reminder, those who take part in ICANN's multistakeholder process are to comply with the expected standards or behaviors. With this, I'll turn it back over to our chair, Olga Cavalli. Please begin.

OLGA CAVALLI:

Thank you, Terri. Good morning, good afternoon, good evening wherever you are. We are on our 22nd meeting. It's remarkable how many meetings we have been having.

We have on the screen the agenda. The first part is we have to work on our work plan. We will show it in a moment. And I don't know if I have to go through all these different status designations. We already have reviewed them several times. But it's good to have them in mind for our work. It goes from zero to six, complete, partially complete, action decision required, not applicable for action, implementation planned, implementation on, going already implemented.

So with this in mind, we will continue with the review of recommendation number six. And Ariel, if you can help us with that. and you can show that document. Has many greens, which is nice.

JULIE HEDLUND:

Olga, would you like me to go ahead and show the work plan first?

OLGA CAVALLI: Oh, yeah, sure. Sorry. I forgot that.

JULIE HEDLUND: Very good. Maybe I will go to the latest, most recent work done.

OLGA CAVALLI: Thanks to you. Any comments, any reactions to the agenda and the proposed way forward? Check the chat. No comments. No hands up. Okay. So let's move on.

JULIE HEDLUND: Very well. Thank you. Then I'll stop sharing my screen and we'll move over to Ariel. Thank you so much, Olga.

OLGA CAVALLI: Thanks very much. Thank you very much, Julie. Ariel, the floor is yours.

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks, everybody. So we're going to start 6.2 today. And this set of recommendations is about transparency. And at a glance when you look at the working document, you will see almost everything is completed. But that's based on the staff preliminary assessment. So we'll provide a detailed overview of what they are and our rationale for these recommendations.

---

So 6.2.1, charter and operating guidelines should be published on a public webpage and updated whenever changes are made. So this recommendation, staff assess that it has already been completed because the GNSO Council's operating procedure and its annexes are published on this webpage on the GNSO website. So I'll just show you. This is under Council activities, procedures, and you see everything is published there. And then also the version date is indicated there. So that indicates whenever there's an update, it's published on this website as well and indicate the date of the update.

Another thing we want to mention is for the GNSO operating procedure, there has been some updates in the past and there is a section called version control. So I will just show you that. It's page 35. And then you see the dates when the version was updated, and then to what extent it was updated. So it has already been indicated clearly in the operating procedure. So based on this information, staff assess that 6.2.1 has been completed. And I will stop here and see whether there's any comments, questions.

OLGA CAVALLI:

Thank you, Ariel. Hi, Philippe, I didn't see you before. Welcome. Sebastien, "It looks very complete to me indeed." Okay, thank you. Manju, plus one. Desiree has no objections. Okay, I think we are okay to move on.

ARIEL LIANG:

Okay. So staff will also record this as completed. So 6.2.2, members of the SO/AC group should be listed on a public

webpage. We also assess this as completed because the GNSO Council members are published on this webpage of the GNSO website. So it's under about an GNSO Council. And then you see the structure of the GNSO Council, and then the name and affiliation of each representative. So that has been very clearly indicated on the GNSO public website. So we believe this recommendation is also completed. Any questions, comments?

OLGA CAVALLI:

If someone wants to review it in more detail, let us know. Welcome, Wisdom. Sebastien, "I used the page, it's not only complete but very functional." Yes. I agree with Silverstein. I usually consult it because sometimes I want to review who belongs to which constituency, in which house for us that we are not part of any constituents. It's very useful. Thank you, Sebastien, for the comment. Any other comments, reactions? No hands up. I didn't see them. Can I take silence as an agreement? Seems to be the case. Okay. Let's move on. Thank you very much.

ARIEL LIANG:

Thanks, everybody. 6.2.3, officers of the SO/AC group should be listed on a public webpage. So this is also completed because if you look at this webpage here, you will see, I believe here, the GNSO Council leadership has been listed here and also their term and affiliation. And also, there's indication of who the liaisons are. So they're not leadership per se, but as you can see, different roles in the Council have been clearly indicated on the webpage. And so we believe this recommendations 6.2.3 is also completed.

---

OLGA CAVALLI: Thank you. Comments, questions, reactions? Sebastien, your hand is up.

SEBASTIEN DUCOS: I had a quick question about the definition of officers of SO/AC. Is it indeed those representatives of different SOs, ACs and groups within the Council? Or are we supposed to point to the SOs, ACs for their own leadership?

ARIEL LIANG: I guess I can try to answer Sebastien's question. I believe the officers in this particular recommendation refers to the leadership of the GNSO Council [inaudible] the Council perspective, members of the Council are basically representatives selected by each SG and C and NomCom. That's members, and then officers will be the Council leadership. So that's staff's understanding.

OLGA CAVALLI: Any other comments about the questions from Sebastien?

SEBASTIEN DUCOS: So yeah, just if that's the understanding, then absolutely, it's completed.

OLGA CAVALLI: Can you repeat to me the question?

---

SEBASTIEN DUCOS: Just the term officers. Does it point to the leadership of each SO/AC group, in which case we're not compliant? Or does it point within the Council to those that represent—have officer—whatever—within the Council?

OLGA CAVALLI: I see your point. Could we add some text to clarify this? Would that be possible? Because I think it's a fair comment.

ARIEL LIANG: So I should probably clarify this. So the recommendation is written in order to be applicable to all the SOs and ACs in the ICANN community. But we're analyzing the completion based on GNSO Council's specific case. We're not analyzing whether the GNSO website lists the leadership of ALAC. That doesn't make any sense, right? We're trying to understand whether the GNSO website has listed the leadership on the GNSO Council.

And then if you look at the webpage here, not only the I guess leadership positions on the Council is indicated and if you look at the individual SGs and Cs in the GNSO, their executive committee members are also listed under each of these sub headings. So even we're probably not required to do so, it's already done as well. But we don't need to analyze that, we only need to ensure that from the Council's point of view, the Council leadership has been clearly indicated on the website.

---

OLGA CAVALLI: Okay. I see a comment from Julie. Okay, Sebastien agrees with Ariel and Julie says, "In case of SOs and ACs then it would be their leadership, but that is not applicable to this evaluation as this pertains only to Council." Okay, that's clear. Thank you very much. And thank you, Sebastien, for the question. I think it's very important. Any other comments, questions? Seeing none, let's move on.

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks, everybody, for the inputs. So we'll move on to 6.2.4, meetings and calls off SO/AC groups should normally be open to public observation. When a meeting is determined to be members only, that should be explained publicly, giving specific reasons for holding a closed meeting. Examples of appropriate reasons include discussions of confidential topics, such as trade secrets, or sensitive commercial information, internal strategic planning whose disclosure would likely compromise the efficacy of a chosen course, information whose disclosure would constitute an invasion of personal privacy, such as medical records, information whose disclosure has the potential to harm the security and stability and other Internet, information that if disclosed would be likely to endanger the life, health or safety of any individual or materially prejudice the administration of justice.

So this is regarding closed calls in SO/AC groups. And what staff assesses, this recommendation is also completed from the Council's perspective. And as you're all familiar, I think almost all of the GNSO Council meetings are open to public, at least from observation point of view, and the meeting records and minutes are all published on the website.



---

But there are some close to Council meetings that happen on a rare occasion. And one of the examples is basically the strategic planning session, and they are not open to the public and they're closed. So in those occasions, usually, as a procedure matter, the Council chair will inform the Councilors on the public Council mailing list and noting there are closed sessions and then the reasons for such closed sessions. And if you look at the language in the recommendation itself, 6.2.4.2, this sub recommendation is basically the warning the Council uses when informing the internal strategic planning sessions, why it's closed and why we have to keep it internal to the Councilors. So that's the wording used for it by the Council. And then that was used as example when this recommendation was drafted. So as you can see, basically, the Council has already completed this recommendation. And we don't think there's additional actions needed to further complete this recommendation. So that's staff's assessment for this one.

OLGA CAVALLI:

Thank you. I think it's quite clear. Comments, questions, reactions. See none. Desiree agrees. Philippe, "Side note: the footnotes re term completions were included I think not so long ago (3-4 years ago) - don't know whether that was Work Stream 2 related but it was a useful addition I thought."

Okay, so that's agreement. Any other comments? Okay, I think we can move on. Thank you for that.

---

**ARIEL LIANG:** Thank you. And I think Philippe's comment was related to 6.2.3. And actually, it's a very good point. I may include it in the rationale for that recommendation as well. There's another recommendation you will see about term limits. So thanks, Philippe, for that.

So moving on to 6.2.5, records of open meetings should be made publicly available. Records include notes, minutes, recordings, transcripts and chat as applicable.

For this one, we also assessed it as completed because if you look at the calendar page of the GNSO Council website, you will see the transcripts, recordings are published there. And for the Council meeting for example, you will see agenda, chats, transcript, minutes, audio recording, Zoom recording, and that has been done I think the beginning of time. So Council has been very transparent about its meeting. And then that's not just pertaining to the Council meetings, but also the working groups managed by the GNSO Council, their transcripts and recordings are also published on the GNSO website. And then also the wiki pages. So for this information, what we assessed is 6.2.5 has been completed.

**OLGA CAVALLI:** Comments, questions, reactions? Philippe, go ahead.

**PHILIPPE FOUQUART:** Thank you. On the recordings, I note, I should know that, but that on the small teams webpage, the wiki space, some of the small teams have pointers, others don't. I'm sure, as you said, Ariel, that we can find the recording somewhere. I'm just—I think I've been

---

struggling with it. So if you would just clarify this, at least for me, and maybe as a rule, have those in the output section of those small teams or something. But I know I've been struggling with that. Thank you.

OLGA CAVALLI: Thanks, Philippe. Maybe Julie or Ariel can help us with understanding that. Do we know if small teams have recordings?

ARIEL LIANG: That, I probably have to defer to our GNSO Secretariat team. I don't know whether Terri could answer this. Please go ahead.

TERRI AGNEW: Hi, everyone. Thank you. Typically, for the most part, the small teams do not have an individual wiki page. A couple of them do. So that's the catcher, that a couple of them do. When they do not have a main wiki page for them, the recordings are only sent to the small team members. Sometimes it's individual email addresses. And sometimes there's a group e-mail. Again, it just depends on how the small team is set up. So Philippe, you are correct in your assessment that sometimes it can be a little difficult to chase them down.

OLGA CAVALLI: Thank you, Terri. Does that clarify your question, Philippe?

---

PHILIPPE FOUQUART: Absolutely. Thanks, Terri.

OLGA CAVALLI: Thanks, Terri. Sebastien, go ahead.

SEBASTIEN DUCOS: So regardless of this exercise of having everything in public if it's meant or not meant to be, every small team has at least some kind of a Google doc folder where we keep track of documents and things like that. Would it be possible to have at least the recordings stored there in some form? At least as links so even if for some reason or another, the small team doesn't want to or doesn't have a public wiki page, but at least that is stored and not lost.

OLGA CAVALLI: Yep. That's an interesting comment. Maybe staff can take note of that.

JULIE HEDLUND: Thanks, Olga, Philippe and Sebastien for the comments. And I'm just wondering, I don't know. Maybe Terri knows. What was the decision why the small teams' recording was not publicly published? Was that because the small team chose to keep the matters internal, basically in their meetings are closed, or there's some other reason? I'm actually not familiar with the history of that.

---

OLGA CAVALLI: Terri, go ahead.

TERRI AGNEW: So Ariel, it really just is based on the small team. Typically on the first meeting, it's decided if it's good going to be recorded or not. Some of the small teams are not even recorded. Lately, they all have been, by the way, but in the past, prior to this current group of small teams that are happening, some of them were not recorded. And so it just depended on the subject matter, how it was going to be distributed.

OLGA CAVALLI: Thank you very much, Terri. Julie.

JULIE HEDLUND: Thank you so much. Looking again at this recommendation, it says records of open meetings should be made publicly available, records should include notes, minutes, recordings, transcripts and chat, as applicable. So not all meetings have all of these things necessarily. So not all meetings have minutes, for instance. Some meetings have notes, some don't. Some meetings are transcribed and some are not.

It depends on how—and there's a great deal of flexibility on how these groups can conduct themselves. If you look in the working group guidelines, and also the GNSO operating procedures, except for the formal Council meetings, there are not stipulations for how small teams should be conducted.

Generally, though, first of all, there's a general working wiki page where all the small team assignments are listed. So there is a wiki that you can go to to find all the small teams, and then any associated materials for those.

Some of these teams are very lightweight and may only exist for a meeting or two, in which case may not be feasible for recordings and transcripts to be made. Some of them are more extensive and the work scope is larger, so there may be more materials associated with these groups.

I think the intent though, of this recommendation, and Ariel can correct me if I'm wrong, is that to the extent that there are materials collected for the GNSO meetings, then these materials should be made public. And I believe they are, except to the extent that perhaps the recordings—and this is something we can check on—for small teams, to the extent that they may exist, may have only been sent, I think, as Terri noted, to members, and may not necessarily be published. And we can check on the feasibility of publishing them. In a case where a small team doesn't have a particular individual wiki page, we can look at publishing them as a link to the collective wiki page where the various small team assignments are collected. So that can be something that we can take as an action to explore. I hope that's very helpful, but happy to answer further questions. Thank you.

OLGA CAVALLI:

That's a very good idea, Julie. Sebastien.

---

SEBASTIEN DUCOS: Yeah, thank you, Julie. That's very helpful. And exactly what I had in mind. So if documents exist, let's not lose them. I just put one caveat, because I've been in sessions where we decided and agreed to record only for those that were absent, only for like immediate, but not for long-term record. Like if everybody had been on the call, we wouldn't have, but because some were missing, we decided to. So that obviously would be an exception, but that would be memorializing the beginning of the call in some way or form, I guess.

OLGA CAVALLI: Thank you, Sebastien. Ariel.

ARIEL LIANG: And thanks, Julie and Sebastien, for the comment. And I think some what you said is going to be covered in 6.2.6, which is the next recommendation. And I think the key word for 6.2.5 is open meetings. So if the understanding that small team in the Council, their meetings are not open meetings, they're closed meetings just to the small team members, then there's no obligation for their recording and transcript to be published in a public facing website. As long as it's accessible to the members, then we're fine. So for 6.2.5, this recommendation do not really apply to small group meetings in the Council because they're closed to begin with. So that's one comment I want to make.

And then based on that logic, I think 6.2.5 should still be considered as completed because the open meetings for the GNSO Council, their records are indeed accessible from public

---

facing web website and wiki page. Then we can look more in detail for 6.2.6, which is about records of closed meetings. We can do a better assessment of that one.

OLGA CAVALLI:

Thank you, Ariel. Thank you, Julie, for the suggestion. There are some comments in the chat. Desiree, "It would be great to have the links of the recordings in the working docs." That's a suggestion that could be considered by staff. And thank you, Julie, "Makes sense to explore the possibility." Sebastien, "Makes sense. Sorry for getting ahead of schedule." I think with the suggestion made by Julie and comments, we are okay to move forward.

ARIEL LIANG:

Thanks, everybody. So we'll record 6.2.5 as completed, and then we can move on to 6.2.6, records of closed meetings should be made available to members and may be made publicly available at the discretion of the AC/SO group. Records include notes, minutes, recordings, transcripts, and chat as applicable.

So when staff assessed this recommendation, we kind of only considered the strategic planning session of the Council because it's a closed meeting for the whole Council membership. And then we believe that the records of the session have been distributed to the attendees through direct emails.

And then based on everybody's input on the call today, we realized maybe we should add another note regarding small teams managed by the Council. So based on what Terri said, their



---

records were also distributed via email to the members directly, but perhaps some improvements can be made here. We can try to put them in the same place, in one place, such as the shared Google folder, so it's easier for the members to access that.

And then based on what Julie mentioned, if the small team believed that some of the records can be published in a public facing place at the discretion by the small group by itself, maybe that can be done in the future, too. I just don't know whether any of that kind of practice has already been done. Maybe not. But it's something that can be done in the future.

So based on everybody's input so far, for 6.2.6, do you believe this recommendation is completed or do you think it's partially completed? I'm kind of tossing this question to the group for consideration.

OLGA CAVALLI:

So this is about closed meetings. That could be perhaps small teams or closed meetings [inaudible] specific issues, comments, reactions? I see no hands up. No comments in the chat. Sebastien, "Good with it, including Ariel's comments on small teams." Thank you. Thank you very much. Okay, seeing no other reaction, I think we can move on.

ARIEL LIANG:

So I am wondering whether my question was being answered by anybody. But if there is no particular objection, then staff will note this as completed. But we will note that some future improvements can be made to make this even more complete, to put recordings

---

in one place such as the shared Google folder for the small team members to access. So will note that. Thank you, everybody.

So moving on to 6.2.7, filed comments and correspondence with ICANN should be published and publicly available. We also assess this as completed because the GNSO Council's communications and correspondence with ICANN Org are published on the correspondence page of the GNSO website. And I just want to quickly show you. It's not just the communications between Council and ICANN Org but also with the ICANN Board, or the GAC or ALAC, or other groups. So the correspondence page includes all these communications. And then in addition to that, ICANN Org's correspondence page on the icann.org website also includes GNSO Council's communications with the ICANN Org, so this is just a quick reference, and we believe this recommendation has been completed.

OLGA CAVALLI:

Okay, thank you. Any comments, questions? I think this is quite clear. All the letters and files are published. I see no reactions, no comments. So I think we are okay with it. Let's move on.

ARIEL LIANG:

Sounds good. So the previous set of recommendations are really boring because everything is completed. Now I'm moving on to a 6.3, participation. At a glance, you will see they're either completed or not applicable for action based on staff's assessments so we won't go into detail.

So 6.3.1, rules of eligibility and criteria for membership should be clearly outlined in the bylaws or in operational procedures. So in GNSO Council's context, it's regarding the rules of eligibility and criteria to become a member for the GNSO Council. And then we believe it has been completed because if you look at section 11.3 of the ICANN bylaws—and I'll just quickly move on to that. So article 11 is all about GNSO. And 11.3 is about the Council.

So I guess the rules of eligibility and criteria is mainly regarding the number of representatives that can be selected by each SG and C and also knowing whether you can hold more than one seat in the Council at the same time. And then there's also this diversity consideration. And then there's also a term limits.

So you can see 11.3, this section outlines the particular criteria where eligibility requirements regarding the GNSO Council. And if you also look at Section 2.1 of the GNSO operating procedure, this section is in particular regarding the term limits. And then we interpret this as one of what part of the eligibility requirements, I guess. So this is also included in the GNSO Council procedure. So that's why we believe 6.3.1 has been completed. I'm happy to hear whether there's any comments or questions for this one.

OLGA CAVALLI:

Comments, reactions, questions? This is about bylaws. So quite straightforward. Comments in the chat, I see none. I think we're okay. Thank you, Sebastien. He says it looks good. And I think we're okay to move on.

---

ARIEL LIANG:

Thanks, everybody. So 6.3.2, where membership must be applied for, the process of application and eligibility criteria should be publicly available. So it's regarding the process of applying to become a Council member.

What staff assessed is that this recommendation is not applicable for action, because the Council is a representative body comprised of representatives appointed by SGs and Cs and appointees from the Nominating Committee. So for the process to apply to be a representative, that needs to be managed by each individual SG and C, and also by the NomCom. They will have their specific process for evaluating the candidates and evaluating whether they meet the criteria. So it's really up to those individual bodies to decide, and then for the Council, basically don't really have a role to play here. So that's why staff assess that 6.3.2 is not applicable for action for the Council.

OLGA CAVALLI:

Okay, thank you. Comments, reactions. Thank you, Sebastien. I think this seems fine. From Desiree, "I think it's okay." I don't see any hands up or reactions, apart from two okays. Thank. Let's continue.

ARIEL LIANG:

Thanks, everybody. So moving on to 6..3.3, where membership must be applied for, there should be a process off appeal when application for membership is rejected. We also assess this as not applicable for action, because it's the same rationale as the previous recommendation, that Council doesn't actively manage

---

the process for applying to be a Council member, because that's managed by the SGs and Cs and the Nominating Committee.

So if there should be a process for appeal, the application, when the membership is rejected, that needs to be managed by the individual groups that appoint members to the GNSO Council, but not by the Council itself. So that's we believe it's not applicable for action.

OLGA CAVALLI:

A good comment from Sebastien, "Same rationale, same plus one." I agree. Any other comments or reactions? See none. I think this is quite clear. Let's move on.

ARIEL LIANG:

Thank you. So moving on 6.3.4 an SO/AC group that elects its officers should consider term limits. So we consider this one as completed. Because if you look at the ICANN bylaws, it's 11.3(b) is this particular section regarding term limits. And then there's an also a special circumstance where the term limit can be extended. So I'm not going to read this in detail, but I just want to point out where in the bylaw you can look at the term limit-related language. And also, if you recall that section 2.1 of the GNSO operating procedure is specifically regarding Council member term limits. So all this has been spelled out in these public facing documents.

And then as to what Philippe mentions on the GNSO website, where the Council members, their names and affiliations are indicated, their term, when the end of their term should be is also indicated here. So that's another pointer where we can point out

---

that the term limit has been clearly spelled out and then this recommendation is completed because all these efforts to make it very transparent. So based on this information, we believe 6.3.4 is completed.

OLGA CAVALLI: Thank you very much. Seb, your hand is up.

SEBASTIEN DUCOS: Yeah, on this note, I saw the addition of years in—I can't remember, if you switch back to the page, it doesn't say—years on Council, not years of service. That's really useful information, simply because the term may or may not be renewed depending on the number of years that you've already been on Council. Some do only one term, etc. And it's interesting to see. So that was a good improvement. Thanks.

OLGA CAVALLI: And the superscript in the years is [inaudible] months. Because it says for example, three, superscript, one.

SEBASTIEN DUCOS: Two notes at the bottom.

OLGA CAVALLI: Oh, there's a [inaudible] at the bottom. I didn't notice.

---

SEBASTIEN DUCOS: Yeah, because some people jump in midterm or replace somebody else, etc.

OLGA CAVALLI: I see. Okay. I didn't check that before. Good to know. Thank you. Any comments, reactions? I think this is quite clear and detailed. Thank you, Desiree. I think this is quite clear. Let's move on.

ARIEL LIANG: Thank you, everybody. Actually, I will make note to include the public page where the term and years on Council is indicated in the rationale here.

So 6.3.5, a publicly visible mailing list should be in place. We believe this is also completed, because there is a webpage to publish all the Council public mailing list archive and also the mailing list archive of Council managed PDP working groups. So I just want to show you where it is. The Council activities mailing list, and then you see there's the Council mailing list archive, and also the PDP group's mailing list archive, it's also here. So that's why we believe this recommendation is completed as well.

OLGA CAVALLI: Thank you, Ariel. Comments, questions, reactions? Seeing none. Let's move on.

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks, everyone. So moving on. The next batch is regarding outreach and updates to policies and procedures. So actually,

---

when we did the assessment of the outreach related recommendations, we kind of laughed amongst ourselves because it just sounds not very appropriate for the characteristics of the Council. But we will provide a more detailed analysis below.

So 6.4.1. Each SO/AC group should publish newsletters or other communications that can help eligible nonmembers to understand the benefits and process of becoming a member. So that's regarding newsletter related efforts. What staff assesses is that this has been completed, because some of the GNSO Council-managed working groups actually publish newsletters to provide that outreach-related information?

So this is the page on the GNSO website called news. And then you see there's a newsletter heading. And then here you see the EPDP, I guess EPDP Phase 1 actually has these related Council-related updates. And you probably didn't see a specific newsletter for these blurbs relating EPDP Phase 1, but they're actually published on the global regional newsletter managed by ICANN Org that was published on a monthly basis. And then back in the day when Phase 1 was active, there's always a blurb regarding the EPDP progress. So that's one example.

And another example was probably more kind of appropriate for this recommendation itself is SubPro. Back in the day, they actually have a specific newsletter for SubPro and I can just show you how it looks like. The group actually publish it publicly. And it was done on almost monthly basis, I believe. And then you can see this webpage includes all the records of the SubPro newsletter. So that's another example.



---

And I believe the third one, I think this is also related to EPDP temporary specification, and that's a blurb that's published on the global regional newsletter on a monthly basis. So based on this information, we believe when there's appropriate mechanism for informing the wider community of the Council's activity, we already have existing mechanism to inform the community about these efforts. One example is SubPro has its dedicated newsletter. The other example is for the regional newsletter published on a monthly basis, there's always a section about GNSO Council and that can be Council activities in general or can be a Council managed working group that's being highlighted. So that's why we're believe 6.4.1 is completed. Any comments, reactions, questions?

OLGA CAVALLI:

No comments in the chat. I think this is quite clear. I don't see any hands up or comments. Philippe, the floor is yours.

PHILIPPE FOUQUART:

Thank you. It's one thing to have newsletters, it's another for people to be aware that there are newsletters. I was just wondering whether in, say, onboarding procedures, but I'm thinking other SO/ACs essentially, new GAC members, we know that there's that turnover within the GAC, etc. Just to make sure that people know in their usual procedures that they would apply for such onboarding that they know that whether that's for SubPro or other things, that all of this is included.

---

OLGA CAVALLI: So your question is if those doing the onboarding process are aware of this new status or information?

PHILIPPE FOUQUART: Yeah, I guess it's got nothing to do with the Work Stream 2 recommendations, more to do with the fact that we should think about—consider providing those who start with ICANN activities, wherever they are.

OLGA CAVALLI: Yeah, that's an interesting comment. I myself was aware of that. But I didn't know that were so many published, so many years of SubPro for example. So it's good to know that they are there. Any other comments, reactions? Agreements? Take silence as agreement. Philippe, “And comment slightly.” Plus one to Philippe's suggesting for onboarding. I agree. Yeah, thanks, Desiree. And Philippe made another comment. Slightly off topic, but it's okay to think about things related with what we're reviewing. It helps. Okay, let's move on.

ARIEL LIANG: Thanks, everybody. So I believe there's—actually, I will show you, I just remember seeing this, it's ICANN global newsletter, webpage, there's a page for folks to sign up for a specific regional newsletter you want to receive in your inbox. And then no matter which region, the GNSO Council's activity is featured, and then usually it's in all of the regions. But I think maybe that's some link that can be included in the onboarding efforts in the future so folks

know where to get this newsletter, they just need to actively sign up for it. So thank you for the pointer, Philippe, we'll note that.

Moving on to 6.4.2, each SO/AC group should maintain a publicly accessible website, wiki page to advertise their outreach events and opportunities. So when we only looked at this recommendation, we kind of laughed because we don't really believe outreach is something for the Council to do. It just doesn't seem it's suitable for its representative body kind of characteristics.

So as the representative body, we are composed of members appointed by each SG and C and Nominating Committee. So it's really for these individual groups to do the outreach, to attract future candidates to put representative on the Council. So it's really up to them to promote or conduct outreach events and opportunities to solicit more candidates to become future Council members. But it's probably not really for the Council to do that directly. So we believe this one is not applicable for action. Happy to hear others' inputs or reaction to this one.

OLGA CAVALLI:

I agree with you. It's quite clear. But let's see if there are comments, questions. It's different from other SOs and ACs that need to capture the attention of possible members. Thank you, Sebastien. He agrees. Okay, I think this is quite clear for the GNSO. Let's move on.

---

ARIEL LIANG: We have a two minutes left and just want to quickly note that. But maybe we can cover one more. Yeah, 6.4.3, each SO/AC group should create a committee of appropriate size to manage outreach programs to attract additional eligible members, particularly from parts of their targeted community that may not be adequately participating. So we believe it's not applicable for action for the same reason, because it's not for the Council to do this type of outreach activities or efforts. It's for the SGs, Cs and Nominating Committee to do that.

OLGA CAVALLI: Thank you, Ariel. We have agreement from Manju and Sebastien. I think this is quite clear. And we— I didn't notice that we are at the top of the hour. I think this is very efficient work. Thank you very much, everyone, for your attention, your comments or your silence, agreeing.

And next CCOICI meeting is scheduled on Wednesday, 13th of July at 12:00 UTC as usual, and I wish you a nice rest of the week and a nice weekend. See you in two weeks. Thank you for being there. Ciao. Thank you, everyone. Thank you, staff. Bye.

TERRI AGNEW: Most welcome. Once again, the meeting has been adjourned. I will stop recordings and disconnect all remaining lines. Have a lovely rest of your day.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]